Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
_Alien Tongue_ (The Next Wave, Book 2) by Stephen Leigh and Rudy Rucker was interesting, as is C.J. Cherryh's _40,000 in Gehenna_ (though that pretty much needs for one to've read _Downbelow Station_ and the Cyteen trilogy at a minimum).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd recommend 'Childhood's End' by Arthur C. Clarke - it's my favourite Clarke novel.

Also 'A for Andromeda' by Fred Hoyle.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-23-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
Only the word 'educator tape' gives away its era.
Well, that, and the mildly patronizing portrayal/treatment of the female characters.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
I'd also go for Ursula LeGuin's Hanish Cycle. Left Hand of the Darkness is Hugo award winner.
The Word for World is Forest is another gem not to be missed.
Four Ways to Forgiveness is a collection of four novellas that also take place in that universe. I highly recommend it.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Hi all

I have read almost all of verner vinge's stuff and I keep coming back to his A Fire Upon the Deep.

I would like to read more of the above kind of novels. Please suggest
At the risk of seeming self-serving, you might enjoy my Chaos Chronicles books, currently available for free download. Start with Neptune Crossing. For what it's worth, Vernor Vinge and I have the same editor.

Greg Bear has written some good first-contact type stuff, too. Also, Fred Pohl's Heechee books, beginning with Gateway.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
At the risk of seeming self-serving, you might enjoy my Chaos Chronicles books, currently available for free download. Start with Neptune Crossing. For what it's worth, Vernor Vinge and I have the same editor.

Greg Bear has written some good first-contact type stuff, too. Also, Fred Pohl's Heechee books, beginning with Gateway.
Well I just downloaded your Neptune Crossing.

I think I will read that tonight as there seems to be no good programs on the History/Discovery/NG channels.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Well I just downloaded your Neptune Crossing.

I think I will read that tonight as there seems to be no good programs on the History/Discovery/NG channels.
Nice to know who the competition is.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #23
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Nice to know who the competition is.

Hope you enjoy it!
Just means I have free time tonight to read ha ha.

I been watching all their programs lately, but tonight it is all about Ax men and Pawn stars. no thank you lol.

There is the NFL draft though, but meh.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #24
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:

Will read Most Def. You have got an instant fan here.

Thanks you! Specially for the keeping the art free
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Will read Most Def. You have got an instant fan here.

Thanks you! Specially for the keeping the art free
Hope you like the series. You understand, I'm using the street dealer's method here--the first few are free.

But I hope you'll like them enough to want to seek out my other books.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
For a first contact novel, my personal favourite is Contact by Carl Sagan.

This is a favorite of mine too. I was quite surprised when I read it the first time. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. The movie tried to do it justice but fell far short of book.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-26-2010 at 04:28 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #27
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
There's also this short story, ``Vilcabamba'' by Harry Turtledove --- kind of the flip side to his World War series:

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=...story&id=58709

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #28
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

This is a favorite of mine too. I was quite surprised when I read it the first time. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. The movie tried to do it justice but fell far short of book.
Same here...that was a great book.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #29
rock
Addict

Just to say, not far in Neptune Crossing (got addicted to rewatching X-files thanks to watch instantly on Netlfix on my PS3) but I was getting into it when my e-reader froze again GRRRRR.

But still, I like it so far, and like the way you write.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I just read Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke. It's 100% what that thread is about.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first contact, science fiction, suggest, verner vinge