Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Henderson, Zenna, "Ingathering" p ****
This is NESFA's collection of all of Henderson's "The People" stories. I loved these stories when I was a teenager. I still like them a lot. I also recommend NESFA's excellent series of collections and volumes of significant sf works.

Happy Reading,
Jack Tingle
I enjoyed Henderson's work. I may still have the paperbacks at my mother's house. I also seem to remember a TV movie about The People starring William Shatner.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #32
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
These Three are absolute musts...
Michael Moorcock- Elric Saga (best fantasy ever)
Robert E. Howard- Conan
Fritz Leiber-Fafrhd & Grey Mouser series

somewhat New and Noteworthy--Robert Holdstock- Mythago Wood
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #33
sasilk
Connoisseur
sasilk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12"; Kindle Paperwhite
I would recommend...

Barbara Hambly - Dog Wizard series

Tim Powers - specifically The Drawing of the Dark but many of his others as well. (Not all are fantasy, and some are almost impossible to categorise.)

Christopher Stasheff - Warlock of Gramarye series. Wizard in Rhyme series.

Orson Scott Card - Alvin Maker series

Katherine Kurtz - Deryni series

Ursula K LeGuin - Earthsea series

L Frank Baum (et al) - Oz series (Surprised no-one's mentioned it yet) :-)

Lynn Abbey - Thieves' World series

L E Modesitt Jr - Recluce series. Soprano Sorceress series.

Alan Dean Foster - Spellsinger series

Piers Anthony - Xanth series (But take them in small doses.)

Elizabeth A Lynn - Chronicles of Tornor series (Not for children)

L Sprague de Camp - Almost anything, but the Enchanter sereis is brilliant.

Patricia A McKillip - Riddlemaster of Hed series

Robert Silverberg - Majipoor Chronicles (A bit of an SF/Fantasy mix)

Manly Wade Wellman - Who Fears The Devil & John the Balladeer

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Darkover series (Not my favourite, but well-liked by many)

Mary Gentle - Grunts (*Highly* recommended! Definitely not for children.)

Forgot to include Neil Gaiman!

Last edited by sasilk; 10-30-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added warning about age appropriateness
sasilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #34
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Hal Duncan- Vellum & Ink, his writing style is somewhat like Neal Stephenson in that it is complexly dense and requires both concentration and re-reading to catch all of his meanings.

If you're looking for something you can skim and not think about, read Eddings*; Duncan's writing is thoughtful and worth spending the time to understand.

*I'm not saying that to be harsh on Eddings, simply to differentiate the 2 types of writing. My wife and step-daughter read in that style often, and I think it's an excellent style for younger readers to read their first longer novels in.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY View Post
somewhat New and Noteworthy--Robert Holdstock- Mythago Wood
Not that new. Mythago Wood was first published 25 years ago. There are other books in that setting, and Holdstock has just released a book that is a direct sequel to Mythago Wood.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #36
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasilk View Post
I would recommend...
L Frank Baum (et al) - Oz series (Surprised no-one's mentioned it yet) :-)
Note that the originals by L. Frank Baum are all now in the public domain and appearing in places like Project Gutenberg.

Quote:
Piers Anthony - Xanth series (But take them in small doses.)
Personally, I could handle about the first three, and none after.

Quote:
L Sprague de Camp - Almost anything, but the Enchanter sereis is brilliant.
Written in collaboration with Fletcher Pratt. See also the de Camp/Pratt collaboration _Land of Unreason_.

de Camp also wrote SF, largely in the Viagens Interplanetarias series. Interestingly, de Camp once decided that FTL travel was impossible, and refused to use it in further work.

Quote:
Robert Silverberg - Majipoor Chronicles (A bit of an SF/Fantasy mix)
What do you consider fantasy about it? From where I sit, it's straight up SF.

Quote:
Marion Zimmer Bradley - Darkover series (Not my favourite, but well-liked by many)
And arguably SF, not fantasy, though I can see why it might be seen as fantasy.

Quote:
Mary Gentle - Grunts (*Highly* recommended! Definitely not for children.)
Fun, but for me, way too long. It's an extended joke that could have been treated in a novelette.
______
Dennis
Old 11-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Here's one that should be on the list.

Silverlock by John Myers Myers. Available at fictionwise for around 6 dollars (multiformat, no DRM). it's a fantasy about reading, for lack of a better word.
Absolutely wonderful. And there is the Silverlock Companion by Fred Lerner, originally published by Niekas Press. (Silverlock contains an enormous number of literary references, and identifying them all can be a challenge.) This is part of the NESFA Press hardcover edition. I don't believe it's part of the Fictionwise ebook.

Myers also wrote a book called _The Moon's Fire-eating Daughter_, which is sometimes billed as a sequel to Silverlock. It isn't, but it's worth a shot on its own.

Quote:
Another is the Lord Darcy series by Randall Garrett. Available at Baen for 6 bucks. The perfect conjunction between Fantasy, Science Fiction and Mystery.
Splendid stuff, that I've been fond of since the stories first appeared in Analog Magazine. Also perfect grist for a "define fantasy and sf" session, since it's argualbly fantasy, but worked up and presented in best hard SF style.
______
Dennis
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #38
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

de Camp also wrote SF, largely in the Viagens Interplanetarias series. Interestingly, de Camp once decided that FTL travel was impossible, and refused to use it in further work.
______
Dennis
I remember Asimov mentioning this. He didn't believe in faster than light travel either, but used it in his stories because it was so convenient.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #39
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:

Quote:
And arguably SF, not fantasy, though I can see why it might be seen as fantasy.
The early stories about their relations with the Terrans were more sci-fi, but some of the books that take place before re-contact verge on fantasy or sword-and-sorcery. I guess they could be considered planetary romances like ERB's Mars and Venus books.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
I would recommend...
Tim Powers - specifically The Drawing of the Dark but many of his others as well. (Not all are fantasy, and some are almost impossible to categorise.)
I like his pirate and voodoo novel On Stranger Tides, which incidentally has the same name as the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sequel. I don't know if it's a completely different story or or if they're trying to fit Jack Sparrow into the plot of the book.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #41
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Alright I know they are not great lit but they are fun Robert Asprin's Myth series. Asprin was also the editor of the Thieves' World by Lynn Abbey.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #42
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I remember Asimov mentioning this. He didn't believe in faster than light travel either, but used it in his stories because it was so convenient.
I think a lot of SF authors do this.

de Camp was a purist. The informal rule for SF was that you could postulate what you liked for things not yet discovered, but you had to get what we already knew right. By his interpretation, once he decided FTL was in fact not possible, he had to stop using it in stories.

At this point, FTL travel is "wallpaper" in SF, taken for granted and not explained. In earlier days, SF writers felt compelled to provide some explanation for how it all worked, even if it was largely hand waving. Brian Aldiss once did a story in which the narrator said "FTL travel? Oh, yes! Had it for decades! I'd be happy to explain how it works, but the printer refuses to typeset the three pages of equations required to give the explanation, so let's just take my word for it and carry on, shall we?"

More recently, David Brin had fun in his Uplift series. He decided that if there was one way to go FTL, there was more than one, and different galactic species used different methods. The Tandu, for example, have a client species called the Episiarchs. The Episiarchs are bred for Psi powers. Tandu ships travel between the stars when an Episiarch denies the current location of the ship so strongly that space is warped and the ship reappears elsewhere. The method isn't foolproof, and a Tandu ship occasionally disappears from its present location and doesn't reappear elsewhere, but the Tandu are willing to accept the risks.
______
Dennis
Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #43
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Dave Duncan' A Man Of His Word series should definitely be added to the list. It is well written and has an interesting take on how people become more powerful warlocks. wizards, and soceresses.
There is also a sequel series called A Handful Of Men.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #44
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Joe Abercrombie - the best fantasy I have ever read by far
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn trilogy is great
Brent Weeks - Way of Shadows trilogy is excellent

Avoid - overrated, slow paced, pointless:
Robin Hobb
China Mieville
R. Scott Bakker
Another vote for Brent Weeks Way of Shadows trilogy. I liked that one very much.

Brandon Sanderson has some good story ideas, but I tend to get impatient with his books as they go along, and often end up unsatisfied by them.

I quite like Robin Hobb, and look forward to her new book next year. Though I have to say her Soldier Son series was a departure in tone from her earlier work, and may not have appealed to all.

I'll add Peter Brett's The Warded Man. Original ideas and good execution.

I've read genre stuff for so many years that lots of times I feel pretty jaded. Whenever I hit something new and different, my ears perk up and my eyes shine.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #45
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Dave Duncan' A Man Of His Word series should definitely be added to the list. It is well written and has an interesting take on how people become more powerful warlocks. wizards, and soceresses.
There is also a sequel series called A Handful Of Men.
I read a lot of Dave Duncan a few years back. He always has an interesting twist on stories, and his books are very readable.

I like Robert Holdstock too. Mythago Wood and Lavondyss are older books, but are some of my all-time favorites. His idea of a bit of primeval wood that contains hidden depths of myth and mystery is one I find immensely compelling.

I listened to Od Magic by Patricia McKillip a while back and thought it was one of her best books in years. She consistently writes beautiful prose that's a pleasure to read.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke is a wonderful and amazing book. It's got very 19th century prose, with lots of footnotes. But the footnotes add little details that flesh out the world she creates. It's a little slow to get going, but by the end I couldn't put it down. A thoroughly satisfying reading experience, at least for me.

And everyone should read Terry Pratchett. I resisted him for years, and I don't even know why. I did the same thing with Patrick O'Brian. But once I started reading both of them, I couldn't stop. Great stuff.

Last edited by Archergal5219; 11-01-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: To bold the book titles.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote