Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Logomachist
Logomachist began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ on a Galaxy Tab 3
Question Can't load fonts in Moon+ Reader

I have Moon+ Reader set to use ebook fonts. This works fine for one of my books, but two others are giving me problems. One epub says to download inherit.ttf to /sdcard/fonts/ and another wants georgia.ttf in the same place. I see a few problems with this:

1. I can't find a font called inherit.ttf... I'm wondering if Moon+ isn't wildly misconstruing a CSS rule that's designed to inherit a default font.
2. Isn't Georgia supposed to be included with Android devices? Why is this something I need to download?
3. I did download georgia.ttf, and saved it in a /fonts/ directory on my sdcard, but Moon+ still seems unable to find it. I think maybe Moon+ Reader isn't looking in the right place? The location of my SDcard that shows in the address bar is technically "mtp://[usb:001,009]/Card" not "/sdcard/" and I don't think that's something I can change.

Have any of you guys run into problems like these, and if so what did you do about them?
Logomachist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I can't help much with the Moon+ side of this since I have Moon+ set to use it's own default font.

In Android /sdcard is usually in internal storage, not on an external SD card. That's a common cause of confusion.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Run the books through Calibre and check in "look in feel" the fonts box. This will remove the fonts from the stylesheet so the book will use default fonts. I sometimes just open up the style sheet and manually remove them but it's faster to use Calibre.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
moon can use any fonts you download to that specified drectory, but you have to go find sources. I place Bookery and Cecelia there & use them for a consistent read experience across all my devices

google seems pretty sure that inherit.ttf refers to the inheritance font, not to a misunderstood CSS rule
see here. http://www.dafont.com/inheritance.font
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to open the book in something else (if you can?). As mentioned, maybe there's something wrong with the CSS or other construction - so it can't find the font locally (or embedded within the file), and thus asks you to go get it.
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Logomachist
Logomachist began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ on a Galaxy Tab 3
Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
In Android /sdcard is usually in internal storage, not on an external SD card. That's a common cause of confusion.
Yeah, okay... that... fixes it. Thanks.

*shakes head* But what UX genius came up with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom
Run the books through Calibre and check in "look in feel" the fonts box. This will remove the fonts from the stylesheet so the book will use default fonts. I sometimes just open up the style sheet
Well the book was already displaying with the default font, I was hoping georgie.ttf would fix some spacing issues (it didn't, but) plus I just like reading the book in font as the author intended. And I don't have Calibre installed so editing the css manually probably would have been easiest if I needed go that route. Thanks for the advice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChaim
Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to open the book in something else (if you can?). As mentioned, maybe there's something wrong with the CSS or other construction - so it can't find the font locally (or embedded within the file), and thus asks you to go get it.
I tried opening it in the ePubReader Firefox extension and it loaded without error but I can't really tell whether the font is Georgia or another similar serif font.
Logomachist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moon+ reader