Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Maybe we are adding books differently?
Both drag and drop and add books from folder in the add books menu give me a box with

The following 3 books .......

OK, Copy to Clipboard and Show Details buttons at the bottom.

Helen
Something is different. A drag and drop produces a popup with "Books with the same titles as the following exist in calibre. Select what books you want added anyway."
A list of the books with the "Already in calibre:" and dup title by author
followed by four buttons. OK, Select all, Select none and Cancel.
Hummm is there a setting that I missed seeing to be able to get the copy to clipboard and show details??
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Well that is just odd. I have been using calibre for several years and have never seen those messages AFAIK . To be sure I updated to the latest version and nope.

I am thinking perhaps you have a modified calibre by an outside source? If so perhaps download the real thing? Pretty sure you won't lose any fiuctionality and will gain a lot.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well that is just odd. I have been using calibre for several years and have never seen those messages AFAIK . To be sure I updated to the latest version and nope.

I am thinking perhaps you have a modified calibre by an outside source? If so perhaps download the real thing? Pretty sure you won't lose any fiuctionality and will gain a lot.

Helen
This may have something to do with what Preferences:Adding Books: Automerge
is set at
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This may have something to do with what Preferences:Adding Books: Automerge
is set at
Perhaps but I change that quite frequently. Do you get the

Quote:
A list of the books with the "Already in calibre:" and dup title by author
That the OP does? I don't want to get these, just curious.

Helen

Edit: I tried all three options and I still don't see this behavior.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 02-03-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Perhaps but I change that quite frequently. Do you get the

That the OP does? I don't want to get these, just curious.

Helen

I mostly D&D to the main GUI. My setting is Ignore.
And I only see the list if I click the details button
(there is a Copy to clipboard there)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I get the message to which LadyKate is referring when I add a single book via drag/drop into book list or via Windows Send To into some of my libraries.

Example : I get it in my journals library because of the way I use Title and Author - Author is journal/periodical name, Title is issue identifier (most often its YYYY-MM). Providing the author (journal name) I'm adding isn't in the list in the Duplicate Found dialogue box, then in this context it doesn't bother me, I just hit enter to accept the duplicate.

See attachments for a) the message box to which LadyKate is referring, and b) the Add Books settings I use when adding journals issues.

I'm using 1.22.1 and its not modified

If I'm adding many books then I add them into a separate staging post library with different Add Books settings and usually via one of the Add books via directories, ... methods. Then I do any necessary corrections to fix title and author. Then I resolve duplicates via the Find Duplicates PI - both within the staging post library and between it and the target library, then I move groups of books into target library - but I don't do many bulk additions these days.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	118684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	118685  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-03-2014 at 03:23 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If you have automerge checked in preferences you will not see the dialog described by the OP.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If you have automerge checked in preferences you will not see the dialog described by the OP.
Ahh it is the little checkbox then.

She should check the little box before the automerge. I always have it checked.

Thanks for solving that.

Helen
Old 02-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ahh it is the little checkbox then.

She should check the little box before the automerge. I always have it checked.

Thanks for solving that.

Helen
@speakingtohe - the OP must also make a decision on the appropriate rule for what to do with duplicate formats - ignore, overwrite or create a duplicate book

I have a feeling that the OP wants to make that decision on a case by case basis - hence the request for a copy to clipboard. After pasting the clipboard into a note, the OP would hit Cancel. Then they can determine what do with each duplicate at a leisurely pace, probably by eyeballing them alongside the one that's in the library.

@LadyKate - submit an Enhancement request for the additional button at the calibre bugs site ==>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre. At least then you'll get a yes/no from the man who owns the bag of buttons.

Is it a reasonable request? - IMO yes. Is it hard to do? - IMO probably not. Truth is, KG can probably do it in a fraction of the time its taken all of us to create this thread of two dozen posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shakespeare in Much Ado About Nothing

'I can see he's not in your good books,' said the messenger.
'No, and if he were I would burn my library.”

WS
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-04-2014 at 04:41 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@speakingtohe - the OP must also make a decision on the appropriate rule for what to do with duplicate formats - ignore, overwrite or create a duplicate book

I have a feeling that the OP wants to make that decision on a case by case basis - hence the request for a copy to clipboard. After pasting the clipboard into a note, the OP would hit Cancel. Then they can determine what do with each duplicate at a leisurely pace, probably by eyeballing them alongside the one that's in the library.

@LadyKate - submit an Enhancement request for the additional button at the calibre bugs site ==>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre. At least then you'll get a yes/no from the man who owns the bag of buttons.

Is it a reasonable request? - IMO yes. Is it hard to do? - IMO probably not. Truth is, KG can probably do it in a fraction of the time its taken all of us to create this thread of two dozen posts

BR
I think the op will be happy with the result of checking the automerge box in preferences>adding books and selecting the appropriate automerge selection. This will give her the option to copy to clipboard which she was asking for.

I am sure you are right that adding the button to the other dialogue is the way to go but IMO using automerge with it's 3 comprehensive options is a better way to add books. Maybe that is just me.

Helen
Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I never merge books when adding, regardless of format.

I would prefer to see a copy to clipboard button there too. Just for the sake of consistency in all cases, because I never use the duplicate information when adding books either.

It's just easier for me to deal with an author's duplicates later while working with an author's books after the add, making any decisions myself about duplicate formats. Also I later catch any leakers with Find Duplicates against the entire library, as a periodic maintenance task.

For me having duplicate formats (or different filetype formats) each in a separate book record after the add makes them easier to deal with and keeps all my options open for choosing whichever format is best. Then all but the best format get trashed during processing for that author, leaving only one format per book record and only one book record per each title/author. Though this too is academic because I habitually add and eventually keep just one format per book, and usually do not add a book that I already have, except for a new format directly into formats box of preexisting wishlist empty book record or an edited format directly into formats box of relevant book record.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I never merge books when adding, regardless of format.

I would prefer to see a copy to clipboard button there too. Just for the sake of consistency in all cases, because I never use the duplicate information when adding books either.

It's just easier for me to deal with an author's duplicates later while working with an author's books after the add, making any decisions myself about duplicate formats. Also I later catch any leakers with Find Duplicates against the entire library, as a periodic maintenance task.

For me having duplicate formats (or different filetype formats) each in a separate book record after the add makes them easier to deal with and keeps all my options open for choosing whichever format is best. Then all but the best format get trashed during processing for that author, leaving only one format per book record and only one book record per each title/author. Though this too is academic because I habitually add and eventually keep just one format per book, and usually do not add a book that I already have, except for a new format directly into formats box of preexisting wishlist empty book record or an edited format directly into formats box of relevant book record.
The automerge function has an option to create a duplicate record for each duplicate, with a copy to clipboard button. This is what I use when adding more than 10 books. One book I do it manually. In between as the mood takes me.

Helen
Old 02-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #28
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
The automerge function has an option to create a duplicate record for each duplicate, with a copy to clipboard button. This is what I use when adding more than 10 books. One book I do it manually. In between as the mood takes me.

Helen
With automerge checkbox checked, the option "Create new record for each duplicate format" only creates a new record if the formats are the same format type (for example EPUB and EPUB). But not if the formats are different types such as MOBI and EPUB. So if I have existing book record with just an EPUB, and then add a MOBI, this option will put the MOBI into the book record with the EPUB, which is what I don't want.

I want them in separate records to make it easier to compare the formats, by viewing each format: EPUB in calibre ebook Viewer, and MOBI in Viewer or in Kindle Previewer (depending on viewer setting in Behavior), just by double-clicking each book record. Separate records also allow more freedom to conduct multiple conversions from each different format type as input format, without messing around choosing input format on conversion input format menu and without getting confused about which output format is from which input format, then compare the two output formats against each other. Comparing formats like that is rare in my calibre usage but necessary sometimes. So I leave automerge turned off.

Guess its mostly personal inclination.

My point about the copy to clipboard button, is just that it is nice when things are consistent, and confusing when they're not.

-unb

Last edited by unboggling; 02-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I might be more willing to let the system make a separate record for all files added IF another column existed that put the CRC value of the added files.

It would be a quick check for true duplicates.

I am not going to want the system to add or merge titles I already have. I rate each book I check with a quality rating. I would not want a better quality book to be added to a record that has quality as UC lol
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
With automerge checkbox checked, the option "Create new record for each duplicate format" only creates a new record if the formats are the same format type (for example EPUB and EPUB). But not if the formats are different types such as MOBI and EPUB. So if I have existing book record with just an EPUB, and then add a MOBI, this option will put the MOBI into the book record with the EPUB, which is what I don't want.

I want them in separate records to make it easier to compare the formats, by viewing each format: EPUB in calibre ebook Viewer, and MOBI in Viewer or in Kindle Previewer (depending on viewer setting in Behavior), just by double-clicking each book record. Separate records also allow more freedom to conduct multiple conversions from each different format type as input format, without messing around choosing input format on conversion input format menu and without getting confused about which output format is from which input format, then compare the two output formats against each other. Comparing formats like that is rare in my calibre usage but necessary sometimes. So I leave automerge turned off.

Guess its mostly personal inclination.

My point about the copy to clipboard button, is just that it is nice when things are consistent, and confusing when they're not.

-unb
Indeed as I said earlier it probably should be added.

And each to his own of course. I tried the unchecked automerge and it would make me crazy having to decide without seeing the book whether I wanted it overwritten or not. With it checked I can see what is a duplicate and check the clipboard items when all books are added. A creature of habit I guess.

Helen