Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
PRS 505 Battery Meter

I noticed that, at least with my unit, the Battery Meter only functions correctly when using Sleep Mode. When using Shutdown Mode, it does not reflect the actual battery charge.

I like to do a full charge via the wall outlet when the Battery Meter drops from 4 bars to 1 bar. I ran 4 cycles so far. The first 2 cycles were done using Sleep Mode and lasted 16 days for the first cycle and 18 days for the second cycle.

On the third cycle I used only Shutdown Mode and the battery lasted 46 days and then required a Reset to revive it. The Battery Meter stayed at 4 bars throughout the cycle right down to where the Reset was required.

On the fourth cycle I used Shutdown Mode for 30 days and then used Sleep Mode for the last 11 days. At the end of the 30 days the Battery Meter stayed at 4 bars. During the last 11 days it dropped gradually to one bar at which time I applied a 2 hour charge using the wall outlet.

Thus, it appears the best way to maximize the battery life without being forced to use a Reset at the end is to use Shutdown Mode for 30 days and then switch to Sleep Mode for the remaining battery life.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-13-2008 at 12:30 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi sirmaru, do you have a memory stick in your unit as well? I did and noticed I wasn't getting the 16 to 18 days you are but, once I took it out, I started getting longer times between charges.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't think the meter is very accurate
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
I've come to the conclusion that I too don't feel it's too accurate.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
I've come to the conclusion that I too don't feel it's too accurate.
It hasn't been a problem for me. I usually read until the point where I am done and there is one bar left. At that point I plug it into the charger for the night and it is good to go for another few weeks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It hasn't been a problem for me. I usually read until the point where I am done and there is one bar left. At that point I plug it into the charger for the night and it is good to go for another few weeks.

BOb
Just out of curiosity, do you use an SD or memory card?
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you use an SD or memory card?
Nope. I generally only keep 6 or so books on the device so internal memory has been adequate.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No memory sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi sirmaru, do you have a memory stick in your unit as well? I did and noticed I wasn't getting the 16 to 18 days you are but, once I took it out, I started getting longer times between charges.
I don't use memory sticks. My internal memory is sufficient for the books I read.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Thus, it appears the best way to maximize the battery life without being forced to use a Reset at the end is to use Shutdown Mode for 30 days and then switch to Sleep Mode for the remaining battery life.
Personally, I find it much easier and simpler to just plug it in once every week or two for a few hours to recharge. Why do you insist on running the battery all the way down? It's a lithium battery--no reason to do that.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote