Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #226
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nope, I bought it from Amazon. But I realize that is it only apply to those devices which is paid for removing Ads??

I think it would replace the sleep screens but not the ads at the bottom of the default launcher.
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #227
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Raye:

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note for Kindle Special Offers Users:

This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #228
kathees
kathees began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

To use the autoreboot feature: Just drop a blank file named reboot in the linkss folder (by copying and renaming the already existing "autoreboot" blank file, for example), and your Kindle will do a quick reboot 10s after you've unplugged it (there's minimal visual feedback during that time, just wait until your list of books reappear)!
Hi,

Thanks for this great Hack and it's working fine for me. I used normal reboot and the images I'm putting inside the screensavers folder appears as intended. I never try either "random" or "shuffle" mode.

I have a question. Currently within the linkss folder with the other folders I have 2 files calls "auto" and "autoreboot".

Is that means my autoreboot is activated?
Or am I required to create a "reboot" file like you have mentioned?

Because when I change a image and unplug USB it's not appearing unless I restart my kindle manually. So may be unless I create a file called reboot this feature still not activated! am I right to say that?

If it's the case you should have just left out the "autoreboot" file right? Can I know what's the use of both "auto" and "autoreboot" files if I'm only going to change screensaver like I do without using any random or shuffle feature!

Thanks again...
kathees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #229
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kathees: The autoreboot file enable the feature. The reboot file *triggers* it. Not the same thing .

(That's a setting because it implies starting a watcher process hanging in the background, so making it configurable allows users that doesn't use it to avoid this extra process).
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #230
kathees
kathees began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
@kathees: The autoreboot file enable the feature. The reboot file *triggers* it. Not the same thing .

(That's a setting because it implies starting a watcher process hanging in the background, so making it configurable allows users that doesn't use it to avoid this extra process).
Thanks a lot for the reply. Just to make my self clear without having the "reboot" file soft reboot never going to work right?

I guess the file "auto" also required to enable this feature...
kathees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #231
smo84
smo84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hello - After using the Jailbreak for my 5.3.1 device successfully, I tried installing the screensaver hack (dropping the file on the device and updating through the menu). Once it reboots (all i see is Firmware updated successfully, with a checkmark) it goes into its reboot cycle and comes back to the cover view. If i shut the kindle off, I see the default screensavers (pencils, letters etc...) not your custom default one, or the ones I added (758x1024 png's). Also good to note, this is not a special ads kindle PW or waterstone PW!

Anyway log file i can see where what went wrong or where to start to fix it?

Thanks,

smo

Edit1: strange, after a few reboots, i am getting the dialogue the bottom telling me it's "checking screensavers" and when I shut it off now, they seem to work. Not sure why it took 2/3 reboots?

Last edited by smo84; 12-12-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: fixed?
smo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #232
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kathees: Yup. (And without the "auto" file, the entire hack is disabled, so, yeah, that, too ).
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #233
kuoirad
kuoirad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks, NiLuJe! This worked great on my new PW last night.
kuoirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #234
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
(is this already posted?)
One thing I found is that 2to3, pydoc and idle have their shebang set to /home/niluje/XXX/XXX.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #235
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aditya3098: Harrumph. Nice catch, will throw a sed pass at the next build .
Old 12-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #236
SwG
SwG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Kindle PW delayed activation

I ran into the same problem as a previous poster, I just got a KPW, FW 5.3.1, did the jailbreak, python hack, then screensaver hack. Still had the stock screensavers after the update. smo84 said after a few restarts it worked, so I tried several restarts, still nothing. It also sounded like he had added a few screensavers, so I added 2 screensavers, saving the original 'Successful Install' ss as well, for a total of 3 screensavers. On that restart I got the 'checking for screensavers' message, and it worked like a charm on start up. Just wanted to post my experience in case you end up doing some debugging on this. Thank you for your great work!

Edit....

So it turns out that anytime I restart the kindle pw while it is plugged into my computer, it does not look up my custom screensavers and loads the stock screens. If the kindle is not plugged in, the custom screens load just fine. So make sure to not only eject the kindle from computer, but also unplug it.

Last edited by SwG; 12-31-2012 at 06:01 PM.
SwG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #237
gatesofbabylon
gatesofbabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Waterstones)
I have the Waterstones edition (full price, £109) and really want to change the default screensaver.

I have installed:
kpw_jb
kingle-usbnet-0.6.N
kindle-linkss-0.6.N
kindle-python-0.2.N

Unfortunately I still can't find /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png directory or file, in order to replace the stock Waterstones wallpaper.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

I install custom ROMs on my Android phone and Jailbreak my iPad but I'm not particularly a techie. I'm just really keen to replace the Waterstones screensaver as it's annoying me (will get around to custom fonts at some point too).

Can anyone please tell me what I'm missing?
gatesofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #238
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
/var/local/custom_sreensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png
Directory names in paths must be speeled coorectly.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #239
gatesofbabylon
gatesofbabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Waterstones)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
/var/local/custom_sreensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png
Directory names in paths must be speeled coorectly.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately that's not the problem, as I'm not seeing var directory, let alone the rest of the filepath. Which hack give me access to var directory?
gatesofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #240
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Cross-posting is considered bad form here.
The USBnetworking you installed, see other answer.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch