Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for pointing these out, SP!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I posted the full list I can see from Canada.

Joe Blades, Associate Publisher is mentioned in the "Editorial Reviews" blurb ... but he left Ballantine in 2005 so that blurb has nothing to do with the present publisher's edition.

Even curiouser: as far as I can tell, there is no ISBN and no publisher listed. How weird is that? I suspect these are non-sanctioned releases but if they are well produced, one might as well grab them while one can!
I hope this doesn't turn into another 1984 fiasco!

As many people who want to read these books, one would hope that Amazon's being careful here and that the books are legit.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
These eBooks don't show a publisher in the Amazon listing. Wouldn't they have a publisher?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
One of the ten books (The Case of the Perjured Parrot) is in the Kindle Lending Library. Why that particular book is in the KLL and the others are not is...shall I say it...a mystery.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems very odd that there's no publisher info on the page or in the ebook. They are obviously published through KDP, possibly by the Estate itself?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems very odd that there's no publisher info on the page or in the ebook. They are obviously published through KDP, possibly by the Estate itself?
Maybe. But why would they not put something about it in the copyright page?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe. But why would they not put something about it in the copyright page?
No idea. It is very puzzling.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
russianfiction
Expert
russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.russianfiction ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is the book available for hard copy? I want to read it but can't find.
russianfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Unfortunately, Gardner's Perry Mason books have been mainly out of print for 20 years (although a tiny number lingered on). However, millions upon million of books were sold so any decent sized second hand store will almost certainly have a selection.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished The Princess Bride by William Goldman and now it's time for some more Mason. Up next is The Case of the Fabulous Fake. I'm not sure yet if this is a re-read or not. I spent quite a while reading every Perry Mason book I could find in libraries and bookstores, and I've purchased all the Mason books available at Amazon and read (many were re-reads) about half of them.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
brianj6
brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'brianj6 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
Perry Mason books are fun reads! I like the earliest ones the best, when PM comes off as something like a prize fighter, battling for his clients.

I also like the Lester Leith short stories.
brianj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #27
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj6 View Post
I also like the Lester Leith short stories.
That's really one of the great shames - while famous for Perry Mason, he wrote literally 100s of short stories in all sorts of magazines. Only a few, like those, were re-published in book collections AFAIK.

And they're likely going to be locked away forever, unreleased due to the dis-interest of the copyright owner.

I just don't get it - if I were the heir to someone like that, I'd do my best to get the works out there
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm currently re-reading The Case of the Substitute Face on my Kindle. I'd much rather read one I haven't read (as in most of them), but what can you do? I've read every Perry Mason book that's available in our local libraries and bookstores.

If the copyright owner waits too long, the world may forget the name Erle Stanley Gardner. I doubt most people under 30 would recognize the name as it is now.

Perhaps what's needed is a major Hollywood movie (preferably set as a period piece), but where would they ever find another Raymond Burr?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm currently re-reading The Case of the Substitute Face on my Kindle. I'd much rather read one I haven't read (as in most of them), but what can you do? I've read every Perry Mason book that's available in our local libraries and bookstores.

If the copyright owner waits too long, the world may forget the name Erle Stanley Gardner. I doubt most people under 30 would recognize the name as it is now.

Perhaps what's needed is a major Hollywood movie (preferably set as a period piece), but where would they ever find another Raymond Burr?
Burr was so perfect as Mason.
It would never be as good. Just like they are now talking about doing a remake of Casablanca.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Alas, I can't imagine anyone but Raymond Burr as Perry Mason but I wish it could happen as I would love to see Perry Mason on the big screen. Hollywood would probably ruin it by adding car chase scenes and hanky panky between Perry and Della.
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erle stanley gardner, lawyer, murder, perry mason, pulp fiction