Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
XML error dialog in code view

I was just trying to fix an ePub I have. To do this, I needed to do two find and replaces. The first one was to change tags at the start of most lines, the second one was to change the tags at the end. But, after doing the first, when I tried to get to the find box to do the second find, I got the malformed XML error box (the one that asks if want to fix the problem automatically or manually). As I was in the process of fixing the code, I chose "manual", but this puts the cursor back into the code. This leaves no way to get back to do another find&replace to fix the code exactly how I want to. In most cases, this can be done with a single find&replace using a regex. But, sometimes a series of simple find&replaces is easier.

While writing this post, I hit another example of this behaviour. As I still had the invalid code displayed while I wrote this, I kept finding the error dialog displayed. The problem is that it is being displayed whenever the code view loses focus. This means if I go to a separate application to look at something, Sigil will prompt there is an error. It would be much better if this was only done when swapping between the code and book views or other parts of Sigil that needed the immediate check of the code.

Have I missed something to turn this off? Or can I request a fix?

David
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have seen this behavior, but only when that actual structure of the document is changed. The second case you describe is also known. Afak it is choice which has been make. As soon as the application looses focus or changes screen, the document has to be structurally correct. For screen changes it is fine for me. That gives me time to enter multiple S&R to change and fix things. For changing focus to another application that can be annoying if you have to look something up. I am not quite sure that behavior can be changed at all, as I understood that is one of the reasons the S&R screen is now part of the screen instead of a separate window.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I believe this behavior is one that John is looking at, so that document does NOT have to be correct all the time. If you make a mistake that changes the document and you get that dreaded box, you can not use search and replace to correct it. You have to look by hand. Fortunately, my mistakes are mostly local, but a wild search and replace could create a situation where errors were spread all over the document. Then your only choice is to revert to your HOPEFULLY recently saved copy. Otherwise you are, as they say, up the creek without a paddle.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
First, I am looking/planning to change this behavior in 0.6.

Second, you can disable the check/warning (temporarily) by clicking the red circle with a white line through it in the toolbar. Or under the quick settings menu item uncheck the well formed check entry. This will allow you to make all of your changes without being warned. As long you don't switch to book view while the document is well formed you will be fine. Switching to book view will force an automatic fix.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote