Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Networking questions

Can someone assist me with a home networking question, please?

At present, I have an ADSL router with 4 wired ports + wireless. I do quite a lot of large file transfers between machines, so need to have a wired network for performance reasons. My main PCs are currently connected to the wired ethernet ports of the router.

I've now run out of ports on the router, and want to add a new device.

Can I just buy an 8-port hub, connect one of its ports to a wired port on the router, and plug my additional devices onto the additional ports on the hub? If I do that, will all devices continue to "see" the router as a DHCP server, and use it for internet access? Would I use one of the "normal" ports on the hub to connect to the router, or would I use the special "upstream" port on the hub for that purpose?

Thanks for any assistance with this - I'm a bit hazy about how to wire it all up!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest getting an eight (or sixteen) port switch, connect that to your router, and then connect all your other equipment to the switch.

With a switch, traffic between two machines on the switch doesn't interfere with traffic between any other machines on the switch. Each machine only sees traffic intended for that machine.

How about something like

http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear...98-41770000-11

Using one port for connection to the router, that'll give you seven free ports.

And yes, all the devices will see the DHCP server on the router as normal - it's transparent to that sort of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can someone assist me with a home networking question, please?

At present, I have an ADSL router with 4 wired ports + wireless. I do quite a lot of large file transfers between machines, so need to have a wired network for performance reasons. My main PCs are currently connected to the wired ethernet ports of the router.

I've now run out of ports on the router, and want to add a new device.

Can I just buy an 8-port hub, connect one of its ports to a wired port on the router, and plug my additional devices onto the additional ports on the hub? If I do that, will all devices continue to "see" the router as a DHCP server, and use it for internet access? Would I use one of the "normal" ports on the hub to connect to the router, or would I use the special "upstream" port on the hub for that purpose?

Thanks for any assistance with this - I'm a bit hazy about how to wire it all up!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Paul - I thought it would be that simple, but just wanted to check.

Presumably another benefit of a switch like that would be that my two main PCs, both of which have Gigabit network adaptors, could talk to each other at full speed, and the connection from the hub to the router (which only supports 10/100 Mbit) would happily run at 100Mbit for internet access? At present, using the router, the whole network is running at 100Mbit.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-29-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably another benefit of a switch like that would be that my two main PCs, both of which have Gigabit network adaptors, could talk to each other at full speed, and the connection from the hub to the router (which only supports 10/100 Mbit) would happily run at 100Mbit for internet access? At present, using the router, the whole network is running at 100Mbit.
Yes, exactly. If you have gigabit capable machines, do get a gigabit switch - it will make file transfers a lot faster.

I have a Netgear 4-port gigabit switch, and a Pluscom 24-port gigabit switch. I've been pleased with both.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I had the same problem Harry and I solved it by adding a Giga switch. The machine-to-machine performance enhancement was stunning. No programming or software configuration required, just plug and play (sorry about that one.)

Other than the D-Link print server, all of the networking equipment here is Netgear. I have found it to be an exceptional value as it is often among the lowest priced and delivers rock solid performance. (I have no relationship with Netgear other than as a user of their equipment.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you both very much for the helpful advice!