Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I think what I really want at Smashwords is a browser plugin that lets me hide all reviews by people who've only reviewed a single author's books.
You'd be missing a lot of honest reviews from people who were moved to review something for the first time, or who had not bought from this store before.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You'd be missing a lot of honest reviews from people who were moved to review something for the first time, or who had not bought from this store before.
I'll cope. When I'm truly interested in a story, I'll read the sample; if that hooks me, I'll buy the book. The reviews *might* convince me to read the sample if the blurb wasn't enough. Mostly I don't read reviews because they're prone to having spoilers. I'd be happy to filter out 90% of reviews, regardless of how honest or well-written they were.

If such an app got made, real reviewers would eventually know to drop a comment on some freebie book in addition to the one they wanted to review. (So would fake reviewers, but they're not being paid for that--and the authors who are trying to scam the system are less likely to have the awareness of browsing-enhancing apps.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I don't even visit Smashwords anymore. I've gotten around 30 highly-rated books there, and with the exception of one series by Shayne Parkinson, they were all complete dreck. I kept wondering if these reviewers were reading the same books I was.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I don't even visit Smashwords anymore. I've gotten around 30 highly-rated books there, and with the exception of one series by Shayne Parkinson, they were all complete dreck. I kept wondering if these reviewers were reading the same books I was.
I've come to realize most of the highest-rated books are based on fake reviews. I buy books from SW, but never because of the ratings; I find them by keywords and reading the blurbs and the samples. If there's not enough sample for me to decide if I like the book, I don't buy it.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Smashwords' website is seriously outdated. It a pain to browse through, very slow and has so many issues I can't blame the authors who I bought from pulling their books from there and going with Amazon, Nook and Kobo.

I am shock there has been no redesign since I discovered the site in 2009. I only buy from them if it's a good deal which it very rarely is.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And they seem to have botched the direct ePub upload as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #22
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Publishers aren't absolutely necessary; editors are.

I think what I really want at Smashwords is a browser plugin that lets me hide all reviews by people who've only reviewed a single author's books.
Publishers are necessary because they can decide not to print stuff that is absolute garbage. There has to be some sort of redeeming quality to the writing. An editor can only do so much.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Publishers are necessary because they can decide not to print stuff that is absolute garbage. There has to be some sort of redeeming quality to the writing. An editor can only do so much.
And then there are publishers who pass on things that will eventually find a home and become very popular,.

Just look at all the record companies who are still kicking themselves for passing on The Beatles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
They can and do also decide not to print excellent works that they don't think will bring in enough money, or are too controversial for them. Since I read in genres that are considered unprofitable and controversial, I'm very happy for self-publishing to be an option.

You are, of course, welcome to insist that your reading material be vetted by a publisher before you even consider it. But it's a bit rude to imply the rest of us would be better off if we put a similar filter on our reading habits.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
When I'm truly interested in a story, I'll read the sample; if that hooks me, I'll buy the book.
This is truly one of my favorite things about my Kindle and ebooks in general.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I went and glanced at the excerpt. It was bad. I'd go so far as to say it was atrocious.

I'm not judging the story as a whole, but the level of writing is really low; the author has issues with spelling, grammar, and sentence construction that would produce a failing grade in junior high.

It is not as well-written as "Night Travels of the Elven Vampire."

As for the reviews, they don't show much knowledge of basic writing skills either.

I'm glad I no longer spend much time or money on Smashwords.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
This is my favorite sentence in the extended description:
Quote:
He misunderstands Evey and thinks that she only wants sex out of being lonely and still a virgin.
Either a foreigner wrote this, or a very young child.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
This is my favorite sentence in the extended description:

Either a foreigner wrote this, or a very young child.
Sadly, I know adults who write and speak this way. There was a woman I worked with who would regularly send emails of 40 line paragraphs that were one or two long run-on sentences.

It became a kind of sad office contest to see who got the worse email of the day from her.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #29
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
You are, of course, welcome to insist that your reading material be vetted by a publisher before you even consider it. But it's a bit rude to imply the rest of us would be better off if we put a similar filter on our reading habits.
Umm excuse me, I implied no such thing.

All I'm saying is that I personally prefer books that have been released by a reputable publisher, rather than self-published. I have spent enough time and energy on Trashwords and other self-publishing purveyors to conclude that for me personally, it is a complete waste of time and energy hunting for that one decent book that may have slipped through the cracks somehow.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote