Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Delly15
Junior Member
Delly15 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2015
Device: none
Calibre Library crashes on Ubuntu 14.04

Calibre Window quickly disappears (1 second after splash screen)
Is there a way to reset all change made to calibre settings via terminal?
I can't use Calibre Library anymore. It won't start properly: its window (the blank one - after splash screen) disappears very shortly after it gets loaded.
What might caused this:
I changed port 8080 on server settings to 80 and enabled automatic startup of server.
Note that calibre restarted without letting me apply settings...

I uninstall and reinstall it several times but the problem persists.


"calibre-debug -g" output this:

calibre 1.25 isfrozen: False is64bit: False
Linux-3.16.0-43-generic-i686-with-Ubuntu-14.04-trusty Linux ('32bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.16.0-43-generic', '#58~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 22 10:21:00 UTC 2015')
Python 2.7.6
Linux: ('Ubuntu', '14.04', 'trusty')
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/Zeroconf.py", line 878, in run
self.readers[socket].handle_read()
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/Zeroconf.py", line 921, in handle_read
data, (addr, port) = self.zeroconf.socket.recvfrom(_MAX_MSG_ABSOLUTE)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 170, in _dummy
raise error(EBADF, 'Bad file descriptor')
error: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

Last edited by Delly15; 07-21-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Delly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PeterT's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,770
Karma: 61292701
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As far as I know, only applications running as root can open ports less than 1024; so presumably you will need to run calibre as root and correct that port assignment.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Delly15
Junior Member
Delly15 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2015
Device: none
Thanks PeterT for your quick reply. Calibre does work when I run it as root. But I can't correct the port assignment because I see that it's on 8080 (the default).

When I run it as normal user, the problem is still there.
Delly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,577
Karma: 5975684
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly15 View Post
Calibre Window quickly disappears (1 second after splash screen)
Is there a way to reset all change made to calibre settings via terminal?
I can't use Calibre Library anymore. It won't start properly: its window (the blank one - after splash screen) disappears very shortly after it gets loaded.
What might caused this:
I changed port 8080 on server settings to 80 and enabled automatic startup of server.
Note that calibre restarted without letting me apply settings...

I uninstall and reinstall it several times but the problem persists.


"calibre-debug -g" output this:

calibre 1.25 isfrozen: False is64bit: False
Linux-3.16.0-43-generic-i686-with-Ubuntu-14.04-trusty Linux ('32bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.16.0-43-generic', '#58~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 22 10:21:00 UTC 2015')
Python 2.7.6
Linux: ('Ubuntu', '14.04', 'trusty')
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/Zeroconf.py", line 878, in run
self.readers[socket].handle_read()
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/Zeroconf.py", line 921, in handle_read
data, (addr, port) = self.zeroconf.socket.recvfrom(_MAX_MSG_ABSOLUTE)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 170, in _dummy
raise error(EBADF, 'Bad file descriptor')
error: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor
You need to remove the disto version of calibre then go to the official calibre web page and install the latest version of calibre.
calibre is up to version 2.32 and you are on 1.25.
Download for linux
One thing to try is to rename .config/calibre then restart if calibre starts it will be as if it is a new install.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PeterT's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,770
Karma: 61292701
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You will manually have to edit the configuration file. I'm not sure where it is located under linux, but you are looking for a file called server.py. In this file you will find the following lines
Code:
### Begin group: DEFAULT
 
# port
# The port on which to listen. Default is 8080
port = 80
Change this back to 8080.

More than likely this is stored in a hidden directory within your home directory.

(And no need to revert to the non distro version).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,577
Karma: 5975684
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You will manually have to edit the configuration file. I'm not sure where it is located under linux, but you are looking for a file called server.py. In this file you will find the following lines
Code:
### Begin group: DEFAULT
 
# port
# The port on which to listen. Default is 8080
port = 80
Change this back to 8080.

More than likely this is stored in a hidden directory within your home directory.

(And no need to revert to the non distro version).
Located at:
Code:
/home/yourusername/.config/calibre/server.py
And yes it is recommend to not uses the distro version.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PeterT's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,770
Karma: 61292701
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While it might be recommended it should be noted that this issue would also happen with the official version.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Delly15
Junior Member
Delly15 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2015
Device: none
Thanks for your support. I edit server.py and calibre works again.
I will install official version 2.32...
Delly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,577
Karma: 5975684
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly15 View Post
Thanks for your support. I edit server.py and calibre works again. GOOD
I will install official version 2.32...
Make backups of your library, and .config/calibre folders first.

Then remove the distro version then install latests version. The 2.32.1 version will use your present .config folder and library. You will find many updates and improvements. The distro version is about two years and over fifty updates out of date.

Backup, backup, backup.

luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bug, calibre server, calibre-server, crash, ubuntu 14.04

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calibre opens in small window partly outside of screen Flying_Squirrel Calibre 7 06-05-2015 12:51 AM
Minor issue calibre 2.3: splash screen text has background collor DrChiper Calibre 4 09-12-2014 08:37 AM
Calibre window disappears linglieglen Calibre 1 03-01-2012 09:20 AM
Turning off calibre splash screen siddharthp Calibre 2 05-23-2011 04:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.