Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-04-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
2024 Solar Eclipse

With the rapidity approaching Solar Eclipse next Monday (April 8th) any plans from people to view it?

Here in Toronto the husband of the couple I'm staying with has for many years had a fascination with Astronomy; 35+ years ago we used to have fun using a large telescope (Celesteon I think) for night time viewing. (It was great at their cottage which had no large towns or cities polluting the night skies.)

Toronto is just outside the area for totality; I think we're meant to be 99.8%. Heading west, Niagara Falls is on the totality (and is expected to be extremely crowded). The couple's sister in-law lives east of Toronto in the Belleville area which is in the totality area.

Plans right now are to head down to Belleville Monday morning, and then depending on the forecast head further east.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:29 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I live very close to the center-line of the path of totality and my back yard has no trees so I'll be stepping out of my back door and watching from there.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 10:33 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
We are just inside. 39 seconds at 100%. An hours drive north would be for a full 3 minutes.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:25 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm not very good at traveling any more, but I am driving 2 hours north to cat sit for sister and her hubby while they go to view the totality. Sis has been planning since the last one.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-06-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:49 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Planning on going to a cousin's house that will have a good couple of minutes of totality. It's a little over an hour away, so weather will play a part in whether or not I make the trip.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2024, 09:25 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Outside our front door, we will get 2 minutes of totality. If the cloud cover is gone, should be a good show.

We were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for the 1978 partial, Ohio for the 2017.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 05:50 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I’ve had motel reservations for a year. BUT. My party of 7 was reduced to 4 willing to come. Then yesterday, I was all packed and beginning to get the food cooler ready, only to hear that 2 of those coming were violently ill (flu? norovirus?) and the third was the husband, so he’s pretty sure he was next to get it.

I could have driven 5 hours by myself (was planning to drive separately anyway) but as I age that’s getting less of a good idea and less fun. The expected cloud cover clinched it. I cancelled the motel, even though I still had to pay for the first night, since it was only 3 hours before check in time..

I’m still bummed, but it wouldn’t be much fun without somebody to show it to … and the clouds may mean one can’t see it anyway.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:27 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'll be out on my back deck with a pinhole viewer. We're not in the path of totality, but we should get about 90%. It will be much less dramatic, but the weather here is expected to be very good, and the pinhole viewer gives a good image of the sun. This will be the third or fourth solar eclipse I've viewed this way. None of them were fully total, but all were very interesting.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:51 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're still waiting for a good idea of the weather for Monday. There is a strong possibility of clouds. My friends are shall we say a bit obsessed! They are talking now of driving Monday morning towards Montreal and possibly into the Eastern Townships (Sherbrooke) if Ontario is cloudy! I'm planning on staying back in Toronto and making do with our 99% totality.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:08 AM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'll be out on my back deck with a pinhole viewer. We're not in the path of totality, but we should get about 90%. It will be much less dramatic, but the weather here is expected to be very good, and the pinhole viewer gives a good image of the sun. This will be the third or fourth solar eclipse I've viewed this way. None of them were fully total, but all were very interesting.
I saw nifty photos from the 2017 eclipse with (a) a colander and (b) a Ritz cracker, or the rectangular kind whose name escapes me just now. With both, you get a slew of tiny pinhole sun crescents.

Guess I'll have to try those myself (in addition to my eclipse glasses) since my planned trip To Totality got cancelled by illness in too many of the party. And predicted clouds.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:40 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like some sun might peek through the cloud cover. I'm going to go ahead and drive an hour to get in the totality zone. I've got the day off and nothing to do otherwise.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Hazy, high clouds, but I can easily track the progress so far.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Live feed from NASA up to 2160p/60.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:49 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well my friends decided on the drive to the Eastern Townships of Quebec and left Toronto around 5:30 this morning. I had a text around 1:15 to say they had arrived in Lennoxville, found parking and had clear blue skies.

Toronto is overcast Luckily there house is right by Lake Ontario so I have a clear view of the cloudy skies from the kitchen, but it is beginning to dim here.

I didn't fancy the 14 plus hours on the road to travel with them.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:46 PM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
WOW! Clear skies, total eclipse. Never seen (nor will see again) anything like it.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote