Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
jack0909
jack0909 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000
Permanently screen fading over time problem in e-ink readers

There are two kinds of screen fading problems in online reports, which has affected various brands such as Sony readers, iRex DR1000, Kindle 2...

[1] Ink permanently fade after using a period of time (1 year, 1.5 years...)

[2] Temporally sun fade.

Aren't there any problems above in Kindle DX devices? Does Electrophoretic ink get unstable over time based on the aging and fragile interaction between ink bubbles and electronic charges?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I've heard, here and there, about a few people with washed out screens possible due to over exposure to the sun.

But can you give us references to these "online reports"?
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
jack0909

You may use keywords "e ink screen fading" via google search to find those reports.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Thanks, but I was hoping to read the "online reports" that you were referring to.

It's not necessary to provide a link. But it is courteous to do so.

When I type "e ink screen fading" into google I only get 2 main references pointing to MobileRead, your thread and an old one dated May 11, 2007.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
jack0909

It's certainly more than two main references. You may search in some webites such as www.kindleboards.com and Sony readers-related websites.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've owned my Kindle 1 for over 3 years and and K2 for nearly 1.5 years (since it's release). Unless the fading is in very small increments that are hard to detect, I've seen no sign of it. I've also not had sun fading issues either.

There seem to have been some screen quality control problems that didn't hit everyone but a noticeable number of people had issues.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
had my cybook for over 2 years with no sign of fading. not saying fading never happens, but it didn't happen to me, and i use my cybook a lot.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I've owned my Kindle 1 for over 3 years and and K2 for nearly 1.5 years (since it's release). Unless the fading is in very small increments that are hard to detect, I've seen no sign of it. I've also not had sun fading issues either.

There seem to have been some screen quality control problems that didn't hit everyone but a noticeable number of people had issues.
Like you I have had no fading on my Kindle. I also have had an iRiver Story for a few months, and am going to keep an eye on whether it starts fading.

Cheers.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0909 View Post
It's certainly more than two main references. You may search in some webites such as www.kindleboards.com and Sony readers-related websites.
I am with SameOldStory. The only references to a permanent screen fade are you on here and on the Kindleboards. In two years of being involved with e-ink machines I have never heard of a permanent fade, only the sun fade issue. What is it that you are trying to achieve/find out?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #10
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0909 View Post
You may use keywords "e ink screen fading" via google search to find those reports.
If you make claims you should back them up with references!!!
Just saying go and find them yourself is a bit poor!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
This thread has turned into 'who has the oldest surviving eink reader that hasn't suffered any noticable screen-fade? '

Much better than another Chicken-Licken thread!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have my BBMini for a year now, I have let it (purposefully) lay in the sun for longer periods, and the screen is still as clear as it was when I first unpacked it. Even after long exposure times to the sun (and I'm talking about letting it lay on the table outside, in the full sun while I was doing something else)
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #13
jack0909

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanByk View Post
If you make claims you should back them up with references!!!
Just saying go and find them yourself is a bit poor!!!
------------

You may see the following links about the complains of screen fading over time (or other factor) problem in e-ink readers. Someone said that it is a inherent problem of e-ink screen. I don't know whether e-ink screen producer has solved the problem perfectly or it will occur after using a period of time due to aging interaction between ink bubbles and electronic charges.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=6435.0

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=11398.0

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=screen+fading

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32&mode=linear

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...t=84347&page=2

-- still have many such links.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #14
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Jack.
Everyone of those threads refer to a known issue with some batches of E-ink screens and sunlight. Not one refers to a long term fading problem. If an e-ink screen has this problem it is covered by manufacturers warranty. I still do not understand the purpose of this thread. What is it that you are trying to achieve?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
First generation eInk screens, such as that used by the Sony PRS-500, certainly did fade somewhat over time - there were many reports about it here around 2006 and 2007. However, they seemed to fade to a certain level and then stabilize at that level.

I've not seen any reports of permanent fading in 2nd generation (Vizplex) screens, which almost all current eInk devices use, and obviously 3rd generation (Pearl) screens are too new for anyone to know whether this effect exists or not.
Closed Thread