Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Firmware 1.3 a big disappointment for me

Well, I hate to say that, but this update is a big disappointment for me. There is hardly any improvements of the things that where lacking.

I still cannot organize my own stuff properly, there is still no Go To Page function, still no folders, the highlight and note function is still not working, still no covers for your own stuff, still no chance to change dictionarys etc. etc.

The things they added are in my eyes not important. You can add those things, if the rest is already working perfect but not, if you still have a lot of homework to do in the basics.

I don't need games, I don't need this extra wifi icon, since I can do this from the settings icon.
The web browser is a nice thing, but not extremly important to me. The Audio button is nice, but you can still not organize your music.

Looks to me they started with the decoration instead of building the house first.

I'm glad that I have the softroot, since this offers me much more options.

Last edited by mos; 04-24-2010 at 06:38 AM.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
I agree absolutely. Seemed to me they added things that are just aesthetic, not impt at all to reading. still no go-to page, no organisation capability, not sure whether battery life will improve, i certainly hope so. i cant tell if page turn is faster, it wasn't slow before. they said they listened to customers, but i dont think they did!
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Totally agree with both of you.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I have to agree that, for the most part, the update was cosmetic. I am hoping for some of the things we are looking for in the next update. Also, I'm hoping the next update will occur in 8 weeks which is about how long it took this update to come out. I think it might be wise for them to deliver more incremental updates. Perhaps working on a feature at a time and releasing it. I might have to suggest that on the B&N boards and hope an employee sees it.

BTW, I softrooted during the first couple of weeks I had the Nook. I reverted to the stock software just because I wanted to follow the company's progress with this.

Does anyone know if the softroot devs would be able to make an enhancement like folder capabilities or some of the other things people seem to be looking for? I guess I'm just trying to see if the softroot devs have a roadmap.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I have to agree that, for the most part, the update was cosmetic. I am hoping for some of the things we are looking for in the next update. Also, I'm hoping the next update will occur in 8 weeks which is about how long it took this update to come out. I think it might be wise for them to deliver more incremental updates. Perhaps working on a feature at a time and releasing it. I might have to suggest that on the B&N boards and hope an employee sees it.

BTW, I softrooted during the first couple of weeks I had the Nook. I reverted to the stock software just because I wanted to follow the company's progress with this.

Does anyone know if the softroot devs would be able to make an enhancement like folder capabilities or some of the other things people seem to be looking for? I guess I'm just trying to see if the softroot devs have a roadmap.
We just don't have enough developers for apps right now. Only 2-3 of us are doing most of these.
Since we have uploaded the source code also, I was hoping we might see at least a few more devs by this time.
I have been playing with a pdf reader app with zoom, landscape mode and goto page options. It will be few weeks before I complete that though.
Since we have a official browser now, I'll probably stop working on the nookBrowser app.
I don't have anything else planned for the my books app, except any bug fixes.
Trook already has folder navigation option.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Is there an ETA on fixing the NookLibrary with the new soft-rooted version?
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
We just don't have enough developers for apps right now. Only 2-3 of us are doing most of these.
Since we have uploaded the source code also, I was hoping we might see at least a few more devs by this time.
I have been playing with a pdf reader app with zoom, landscape mode and goto page options. It will be few weeks before I complete that though.
Since we have a official browser now, I'll probably stop working on the nookBrowser app.
I don't have anything else planned for the my books app, except any bug fixes.
Trook already has folder navigation option.
Wow. thanks for the quick response. I did not expect that.

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate what you guys are doing on a volunteer basis and have the greatest respect for open source developers. Unfortunately, I am not a developer.

Thanks for the hard work.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
abo.saud
abo.saud began at the beginning.

I'm agree with you,
I don't know why did they put wifi icon on the menu! who need it a lot
they should put icon called more put (games, audio, setting, browser) in it
abo.saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

I'm testing the library right now. Should have it ready by tomorrow.
But the app upgrade option is also broken in the softroot. You can't update it using the Trook feed now. That has to be fixed in the softroot itself. I don't know when that will be ready.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
I'm testing the library right now. Should have it ready by tomorrow.
But the app upgrade option is also broken in the softroot. You can't update it using the Trook feed now. That has to be fixed in the softroot itself. I don't know when that will be ready.
On the instruction to softroot you say,

"If you currently have a rooted nook with 1.1.1 B&N software or 1.2 streamlined software, you can skip the section about downgrading to 1.0 again and go directly to the How do I do it?"

I softrooted with 1.2 version but I'm not sure what you mean by 1.2 streamlined software. Is streamlined software a different softroot version?

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
On the instruction to softroot you say,

"If you currently have a rooted nook with 1.1.1 B&N software or 1.2 streamlined software, you can skip the section about downgrading to 1.0 again and go directly to the How do I do it?"

I softrooted with 1.2 version but I'm not sure what you mean by 1.2 streamlined software. Is streamlined software a different softroot version?

~eddie
ooops, disregard my last post. I found the answer. I should have read further.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
hharan
Connoisseur

That's the same as softroot. I guess somebody gave it a fancy name
btw, I didn't work on the softroot part - just some of the apps in it.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
gauchito
gauchito began at the beginning.

music

i haven't softrooted yet but will when the fine devs finish their magic. do trook or nooklibrary allow for organizing music by folder so i don't have to look at a long list of alpha order songs. Thanks!
gauchito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I was also disappointed. I was hoping that they would fix the features they already advertise before adding more bells and whistles.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I've found no improvement in anything and one aspect has gotten worse. I have downloaded some Irish language books. Irish uses accent marks on vowels. The previous version could handle it.

For instance I have an Irish translation of The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland. The title used to be displayed as "Eachtraí Eilíse i dTír na nIontas" which is correct. After the "improvement was downloaded, the title is now displayed as:

Eachtrañ Eilñse i dTÃ-r na nIontas

If I had a choice in the matter, I would go back to the previous software version.

Also, I discovered one morning, a couple of days ago, that the new software was being automatically downloaded after I turned on my ereader. Shouldn't that be optional?
dugong is offline   Reply With Quote