Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
pastorjamie
pastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nook
Nook and Reflowing PDF's

Hello:

I'm a completely fool and newbie to all this.

I just purchased a Nook tonight and one of the things that I must be able to do is get my scanned books into it.

I've downloaded Calibre for Mac and I've added a test PDF and sent it to the Nook. All good except that it is a full size of the page (originally 6in x 9in) squashed into a 6 in screen so it is hardly readable.

I thought that I saw someone use Calibre to REFLOW a pdf. How do I do this? What settings in Calibre do I need to set? How?
pastorjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre does not reflow PDFs as far as I know, though if it were a text based PDF you could convert it to a reflowable format using calibre, though PDF conversion is seldom ideal.

But these are scanned books? I.e., the PDFs consist of images, not normal text? Nothing can reflow that. Try running them through OCR software and see what the results are like. The OCR software will likely output reflowable format, like HTML or DOC, which you can convert (with calibre, or with calibre along with a word processor) to a reflowable ebook format.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
pastorjamie
pastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of lightpastorjamie is a glorious beacon of light

They are text only, already OCR'ed.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you only have them saved as PDFs? Seems like a funny file format to use to save text files.

Try converting them to ePub or another format the Nook can handle.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
pastorjamie

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out...how do I convert them to ePub in Calibre?

Do I simply add the book then click SEND TO DEVICE? or, if i click CONVERT E-BOOK what settings should be used for best results?
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjamie View Post
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out...how do I convert them to ePub in Calibre?
Click CONVERT, select EPUB and under Page Setup select Nook as the output device. You may need to experiment with other settings, such as chapter detection.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
PDFs are known for generating very poor output here at MobileRead when trying to convert. So don't be surprised if you have to try a few things to get the best possible output. Also, don't overlook the possibility of outputting as plain text. It saved my paragraphs at the expense of losing some formatting and italics. Which was a lot easier to fix then removing thousands of newlines.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In Nook, when you set font size to Medium/Larger/Largest, it will reflow the text for you. For English PDF, especially text only, it reflows quite well. Some PDF with photos also reflows quite nice.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
In Nook, when you set font size to Medium/Larger/Largest, it will reflow the text for you. For English PDF, especially text only, it reflows quite well. Some PDF with photos also reflows quite nice.
agree.
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote