Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
madcartographer1
madcartographer1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Editing cover image, not working

Hi all, I need some help.

I have changed a cover on a book in Calibre, and when I put it on my Kindle, it still has the original cover, not the one I put there.

The file I am editing is MOBI format.

What can I do?

Thanks
madcartographer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Hi madcartographer1,

First, this question would be best asked in the Caliber subforum.

Second, you'll need to recreate the mobi in Caliber. If you convert from mobi to mobi, you should get your new cover.

HTH
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcartographer1 View Post
Hi all, I need some help.

I have changed a cover on a book in Calibre, and when I put it on my Kindle, it still has the original cover, not the one I put there.

The file I am editing is MOBI format.

What can I do?

Thanks

This is not a cover edit (trim) issue.

For the Library:
You can Generate a Calibre default cover
You can import a new cover (update)
This action does not automatically insert these into the Library copy

Your issue is 'Updated cover not showing on device'

How are you sending the book to the device?

BTW I will bite: How do you edit a Mobi?
Calibre does not have a Mobi editor
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
madcartographer1
madcartographer1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This is not a cover edit (trim) issue.

For the Library:
You can Generate a Calibre default cover
You can import a new cover (update)
This action does not automatically insert these into the Library copy

Your issue is 'Updated cover not showing on device'

How are you sending the book to the device?

BTW I will bite: How do you edit a Mobi?
Calibre does not have a Mobi editor
I edit the META Data. The file getting to my Kindle, I just copy the file from my PC to my Kindle. Should I be doing something different?

Is there a easy way to do this?
madcartographer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I edit the META Data. The file getting to my Kindle, I just copy the file from my PC to my Kindle. Should I be doing something different?

An (OS) Copy from Inside the Library folder does not update the book with the latest metadata.

Send to Device does
Save to Disk (the device/sdcard) does

doing a (source format: eg Mobi->Mobi does
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

MOBI to MOBI conversion should put the new cover on the MOBI in the library book folder.

If you use Send to Device, Send by Mail, or Save to disk they should put the new cover on the output MOBI, but the MOBI in the library book folder won't change. That approach suits many users, however I prefer to have the library copy up to date and do what you do - copy the file from the library book folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ways of updating metadata inside the book:
Send to device/Save to disk/Send to email/Polish Books/Embed Metadata

This will only update metadata that is supported by the format.

MOBI does not support cover metadata. AZW3 books will properly update the cover together with other metadata.
To update the cover in a MOBI, you must convert the book. While you are at it, convert to AZW3 so you won't end up in this position again.

NOTE: calibre will sideload a thumbnail to the thumbnails cache on the newer Kindles, if the book is NOT showing as a PDOC.
This has no effect on the contents of the book, but it will show up in Cover View.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote