Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
My reading speed is the same whether I read to/for myself or I read aloud to others; I "act out", if you will, the words on the page in my head. The narrator has a different voice that the various characters (well, it's always my voice, but you know what I mean).
I love reading good dialogues (or a really good monologue), and I just can't imagine enjoying reading them at a speed at which they couldn't possibly be spoken aloud.
Me too! I've taken the tests, and can read fast with good comprehension. But it isn't fun for me - i enjoy hearing the characters, savouring the language, etc. Reading isn't an IQ test, and there isn't a 'correct' method on how to enjoy yourself - if someone is reading for pleasure, they should just relax and not worry about speed.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #32
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
The act of reading is a skill, and reading speed, comprehension are all part of that skill.

When you guys call "enjoyment" does not come from the act of reading itself, but from the content of the book, which must be accessed via the act of reading.

I am talking about the act of reading, not the content or entertainment value of the books.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #33
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
The act of reading is a skill, and reading speed, comprehension are all part of that skill.

When you guys call "enjoyment" does not come from the act of reading itself, but from the content of the book, which must be accessed via the act of reading.

I am talking about the act of reading, not the content or entertainment value of the books.
Agreed - that's a good point.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #34
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yesterday I've read part of a paper book, comparing it to reading on the Kindle, and I noticed that I was faster than on the Kindle. Weirdly enough, the issue seems to be that the Kindle's lines are shorter, and I have set the font bigger.
If you noticed my posts previously, you know I like to grumble about the way Kindle presents text.
There is a very good reason behind many aspects of formatting a book. It might not be obvious, but typography has been evolving for 500 years to optimize reading comfort.

There is optimal line length. Just try to read on Kindle with the widest margins or on a 24 inch monitor with line spanning the entire width of the monitor. Neither is good. In the first case your eyes have to jump lines very quickly (and there are other problems) in the other case you will spend way too much time searching for the next line because your eyes can't track to the beginning of the line and you can't remember what the beginning of the line was.
Try to search the net for the optimum line length (50-60 characters including spaces). Then take a well typeset paper book and count the number of letters. The count will be a little bit higher than the optimum (75), but a bit longer is more acceptable than shorter line.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #35
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I know. The LaTeX typesetter uses a width of 67 characters for example. That is why the margins are so wide on an A4. I can actually have around 55 characters on the Kindle, but it still feels a bit short.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Someone (can't remember username) posted that reading on a 6 inch ereader in landscape mode with wider margins resulted in faster reading and was more comfortable.

I thought that that was silly but tried it anyway. It did seem more comfortable line length wise and I did seem to read faster. Unfortunately the page turn buttons were not in a great place for me when held sideways.

I do find even a small margin is better than with the text lined up close to the bezel. Perhaps ones eyes figuratively bump against the bezel at every line providing a minute distraction not found in paper books or when reading online.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #37
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If you noticed my posts previously, you know I like to grumble about the way Kindle presents text.
There is a very good reason behind many aspects of formatting a book. It might not be obvious, but typography has been evolving for 500 years to optimize reading comfort.

There is optimal line length. Just try to read on Kindle with the widest margins or on a 24 inch monitor with line spanning the entire width of the monitor. Neither is good. In the first case your eyes have to jump lines very quickly (and there are other problems) in the other case you will spend way too much time searching for the next line because your eyes can't track to the beginning of the line and you can't remember what the beginning of the line was.
Try to search the net for the optimum line length (50-60 characters including spaces). Then take a well typeset paper book and count the number of letters. The count will be a little bit higher than the optimum (75), but a bit longer is more acceptable than shorter line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I know. The LaTeX typesetter uses a width of 67 characters for example. That is why the margins are so wide on an A4. I can actually have around 55 characters on the Kindle, but it still feels a bit short.
With the adjustments I make to the CSS of my books I get about 70 characters per line and 41 lines per page; this looks and feels the most balanced layout to me, and resembles a printed page from a paperback the closest. The left and right margins have to be quite wide for this though - which some (me included until a few weeks ago) would see as a waste of screen-space.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #38
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
What ever it is, it certainly isn't enjoying the reading of a good story/book. The people who claim they can read an entire book in a day can't enjoy that process, nor get the little subtleties of the language, the word-plays, IMO.
Getting the gist of a story isn't quite the same as actually reading that story.
I can easily read entire books in a day at my normal reading speed.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #39
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
I can easily read entire books in a day at my normal reading speed.
The number of words per book can vary widely. Consequently, your statement would be more informative if you provided further quantification.

Last edited by Froide; 07-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
The number of words per book can vary widely. Consequently, your statement would be more informative if you provided further quantification.
Well, the original statement being rebutted was "The people who claim they can read an entire book in a day can't enjoy that process, nor get the little subtleties of the language, the word-plays, IMO."

No mention of length of books or number of words - just a blanket statement that no-one reading one book in one day could be gaining enjoyment or appreciating subtleties. Not to mention the little dig at their honesty, by choosing the word "claim".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:19 AM   #41
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Some of us may not fully appreciate the subtleties. I have no idea what is meant by that really.

I read because I enjoy reading, and the books that I enjoy the most are those where I feel that I understand the characters and their thoughts and actions although I do not have to agree with them. I don't often stop to mull over a section, although I do on occasion.

Today I am reading a book that I am enjoying particularly and I found myself wondering what makes this book stand out for me. Pretty sure it is not the subtleties, but then perhaps I am not understanding the term despite using google search.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:23 AM   #42
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I often get more out of a book when I read it in a day, rather than in the same number of hours spread out over a few days or a week. Then there's no time to forget details in the intervening time.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #43
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
Depending on the book(s), at least one a week (unless I'm burned out).
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #44
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Well, the original statement being rebutted was "The people who claim they can read an entire book in a day can't enjoy that process, nor get the little subtleties of the language, the word-plays, IMO."

No mention of length of books or number of words - just a blanket statement that no-one reading one book in one day could be gaining enjoyment or appreciating subtleties. Not to mention the little dig at their honesty, by choosing the word "claim".
"claim", "say", "state", "write" take your pick.

I don't doubt that people can read that fast. I explained above why I don't think that reading that fast can be satisfying. YMMV.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't doubt that people can read that fast. I explained above why I don't think that reading that fast can be satisfying. YMMV.
But you also said:

Quote:
My reading speed is the same whether I read to/for myself or I read aloud to others; I "act out", if you will, the words on the page in my head.
That is not the way that most people read, so you really can't compare your own experience with that of most people, who don't have need to "act out" the book as you do.

Eg, taking a page at random from the book I'm reading at the moment (Agatha Christie's "Ordeal by Innocence"), my normal reading speed for the page that happens to be shown on my Onyx T68 at the present time is 14s, but to read that same page out loud takes me 50s, which is three and a half times longer. If it took nine hours to read the book out loud (a typical time for an Agatha Christie audiobook), I could therefore read it in about two and a half hours.

Please don't tell me that I'm not appreciating the subtleties of the book, or that my reading can't be "satisfying". That's simply not true.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote