Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Mantano Reader Problem

I wonder if anybody may have experienced a similar problem (described below) and is aware of a solution they can share?

I have been using the Mantano reader with a HTC-Flyer for several months now and it has become my reader of choice. Today I tried to open a book I had been reading earlier and received the following error message "an error occurred when opening the book".

I then tried other books and received the same message for most of the book I attempted. A small percentage of books did open, probably about 5% of the books I sampled. Most if not all of the books I was able to open were downloaded recently.

I deleted the book I was reading and reloaded it. It works fine now, but the error message persists for the other books.

I assume I can delete and reload the other books but I have 600+ books loaded and I would rather avoid reloading the entire library if possible.

Also, no recent updates that I'm aware of, no setting adjustments etc. As far as I can tell the problem just started out of the blue.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions - I would greatly appreciate.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sounds like something became corrupted. Clearing the app data and re-importing may be the only way to resolve the problem.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Can you check the drive in Windows? See if there are any problems with it... Because it sounds like Mantano can't find the files anymore...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you check the drive in Windows?
I can see the drive on my Mac using a USB connection. I cannot find a "Mantano" file where books are stored. When I add books I use Dropbox, I access the file in Dropbox and then select Mantano as the application to open with. I had checked previously to see if Mantano was storing a separate file but I have never been able to locate a seperate Mantano file where epub files are stored.

After further experimentation the pattern of what can be opened and what cannot be opened is very simple. It will open the last four books added and nothing else. If I add a new book, the book that was formerly the fourth addition and could be formerly opened is now the fifth addition and can no longer be opened?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Clearing the app data and re-importing
I fear you may be right. I am hoping there is an easy way to import data from an existing file as opposed to opening one epub file at a time.
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mantano has a sqlite database where it keeps all info from the books. So, deleting this database should be enough.

What you can also do, is select all books, select "delete", but don't delete the physical files (it'll ask about that). After that, you can reimport them again. (that's what I did to clear up my collection-mess...) All can be done by a "select all", so no need for one at a time...
Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
After that, you can reimport them again. (that's what I did to clear up my collection-mess...) All can be done by a "select all", so no need for one at a time...
Hi Sweetpea - I deleted the books using the select all as you indicated. The problem I have is with importing the books. If I use the import button/icon I get the message "no files to import". If I use the explorer button/icon I get a file directory but the Dropbox directory does not show.

Do you know of a means to sync a directory or mass import from a directory?

Also - my thanks for your help
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Problem is resolved
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

So, what was the solution!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Sad to say, after spending a couple of hours trying to automate a download process. I did an old-fashioned copy and paste from the calibre files on my PC into a new directory on the flyer and then set it up as the sync folder for Mantano. After I copied my calibre files and hit the sync button it took all of five or six minutes for the files to import.

I also set it up as the library file for fbReader so I can access books from either reader from a common directory and update both at the same time.

So, all in all, it was time well spent.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, I have that setup from the start... Except, I let Calibre do the copying...
Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Except, I let Calibre do the copying...
Do you use calibre to copy/backup your library into a separate directory and then cut and paste to your Android. Or, have you found a way to mass update your Flyer directly using calibre without doing the cut and paste?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Do you use calibre to copy/backup your library into a separate directory and then cut and paste to your Android. Or, have you found a way to mass update your Flyer directly using calibre without doing the cut and paste?
There's an Android plugin. So, I'll plug in my Flyer, and Calibre will recognize it. If that doesn't work, you can use the "Connect to folder" feature. I presume you'll get the equivalent to a windows drive letter on your Mac...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #14
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
Hi everyone,

We also stumbled upon this problem today. It appears that with DropBox 2.0 for Android the files have been moved around on the sdcard (from /mnt/sdcard/dropbox to /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/scratch).
The only option is to resync all files, sorry :/
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
So, I'll plug in my Flyer, and Calibre will recognize it.
hmm?

Since I had been using Dropbox to update my Flyer, it had never even occurred to me to connect it directly to calibre. I had never even checked to see if calibre would recognized my Flyer.

And yes it did even without installing the plugin.

Quote:
It appears that with DropBox 2.0 for Android the files have been moved around on the sdcard (from /mnt/sdcard/dropbox to /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/scratch).
Acknowledged and thanks for the update.

Last edited by fbrII; 12-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.