Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
PDF conversion ignores images and cropping

Before i put (text based) e-book PDF on my Kindle i crop all the margins/whitespace and headers (repeated chapter names and/or author) and footers (page numbers).
Basically I leave just a few pixels around the text. That way i get the best PDF reading experience. Today, for the first time, i tried converting a PDF to MOBI & EPUB with Calibre. While I was AMAZED by the quality of the conversion there are two main issues i noticed rightaway:
1. No Images. I wonder why?
2. All the header and footer texts are back. I hope that this can be fixed.

Kovid, if you need the PDF file i am using, let me know.

Cheers
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
All the header and footer texts are back.
That's because the "cropped" pdf is really just a pdf with the cutoff material hidden. You can tell your pdf editor to remove the cropped material and then it will be gone, or you can remove headers and footers during conversion.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
2. All the header and footer texts are back. I hope that this can be fixed.
That is because the cropped area was hidden not removed. I often crop PDFs using Adobe then export the cropped PDF as HTML. Once exported I then use calibre to convert the html to epub. All Images and most links work fine and the cropped area is gone completely.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am fully aware that cropping does not actually remove anything from pdf, just resizes the view area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
... crop PDFs using Adobe then export the cropped PDF as HTML. Once exported I then use calibre to convert the html to epub. All Images and most links work fine and the cropped area is gone completely.
So why not do it in one go with Calibre?

All PDF viewers i am aware off display cropped documents correctly. Some of those viewers support (cropping-aware) reflow. That means that apparently there is some API that provides PDF content depending on cropping. Which in turn, i hope, means that rather than being something impossible to implement, this is just a feature that is not implemented in Calibre yet.

So, once again "I wonder why?" & "I hope that this can be fixed."
Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Implementing cropping in a viewer is easy, you just draw the whole page and crop out the part of the page specified by the cropbox. Implementing cropping in a text extraction tool is not nearly that easy.

Patches welcome.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
So why not do it in one go with Calibre?
You can, but not by cropping. There's a removal mechanism in place for headers and footers. Look in the structure detection part of the conversion settings.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Starko
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Implementing cropping in a text extraction tool is not nearly that easy.
Because Adobe and other programs can do it, i was hoping it would be a well known Open Source library. Do you think you'd ever be interested in implementing this and image extraction functionality?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Who knows, I don't make open ended commitments like that. If at some point I get interested in PDF, maybe. But most likely not, since I have no personal motivation to work on PDF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote