Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Any epub readers that can load bilingual dictionaries?

I ran across a mention of using the Kindle to learn a foreign language - How to Read a Foreign Novel on a Kindle.

But not on just any Kindle, but on the Kindle Paperwhite specifically. Because only the Paperwhite could be configured to use a bilingual dictionary. Apparently, that makes going from knowing the 2000-3000 words you'll learn running through a course like Pimsleur or DuoLingo to the 6000-9000 words you need to read an ordinary novel far more efficient.

I, of course, don't have a Kindle. I do my e-reading on an Android. Currently with MoonReader+.

I was wondering, then, if any of the epub readers available on the Android had the ability to be configured to use bilingual dictionaries, and have Spanish=>English dictionaries available that they work with?

Has anyone tried to do this with an Android epub reader?
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdege View Post
I ran across a mention of using the Kindle to learn a foreign language - How to Read a Foreign Novel on a Kindle.

But not on just any Kindle, but on the Kindle Paperwhite specifically. Because only the Paperwhite could be configured to use a bilingual dictionary.
This is not so. Any Kindle can use bilingual dictionaries.

Quote:
I, of course, don't have a Kindle. I do my e-reading on an Android. Currently with MoonReader+.
Why not use the Kindle App on your Android device? It has exactly the same dictionaries as the hardware Kindles. The Kindle really does have the best dictionaries around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
jdege
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is not so. Any Kindle can use bilingual dictionaries.
Why not use the Kindle App on your Android device? It has exactly the same dictionaries as the hardware Kindles. The Kindle really does have the best dictionaries around.
  1. All of my ebooks are in epub format
  2. I don't like the Kindle App for Android or for the PC
  3. I won't buy an ebook where I can't store the file in my Calibre library, and Amazon makes downloading the file complicated and difficult
Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's entirely your decision of course, but given your requirements, the Kindle App really would be the best choice. Nothing else comes close to it for dictionary support. Nobody's suggesting using it for all your reading; just the foreign language books.

Regarding your third point, BTW, I too don't buy books I can't store in Calibre, but getting a Kindle book into Calibre is neither complicated nor difficult. Install "Kindle for PC", and when you buy your book, send it there. Open K4PC, the book will automatically download into the "My Documents\My Kindle Contents" folder on your PC, and you can then copy it from there into Calibre. It really is that simple.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-05-2017 at 02:52 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
jdege
Connoisseur

After a bit of searching, I decided to give ABBYY's Lingvo dictionaries a try. They integrate well with Moon Reader+. Just highlight the word and click on "DICT".

And the procedure you describe for Kindle is how I do import Kindle books, when I buy them, with the additional complication of having to fire up a Windows VM, because my primary desktop is Linux, and then copying the file back to where I want it.

I've never bought many e-books from Amazon, because of that.

It used to be that buying books from B&N was simpler than from Kindle, in that I could download the files directly from their website. A couple of years ago B&N disabled direct download of their files, so I have to go through the same indirect process with them.

Which means I no longer buy many e-books from B&N.

When I download a book from Project Gutenberg, though, or buy one from Baen.com, or any of the multitude of independent publishers, it's just download the file and load it into Calibre. No messing about with downloading it in a proprietary Windows application, and the copying it back.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
jdege
Connoisseur

As a follow-up, the Google Translate App integrates into Moon Reader+ very cleanly.