Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Ever wonder if you've been living under a rock?

I watched some of the new season of Doctor Who the other day.
Now I find out it's a huge series, and older then I am
I had seen the books at the second hand book shop as a kid but always assumed they sucked since there were so many of them there.
I picked one up the other day, and they aren't bad at all!
a bit simplistic, but they make good fart books to quote someone else on here
perfect for reading on the can.

What authors or series have you run into and realized that not only were they decent, but you were the last person to hear about them in the world.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
What authors or series have you run into and realized that not only were they decent, but you were the last person to hear about them in the world.
I turned my nose up at 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' when it was on TV, assuming it was lightweight, juvenile fluff.
Finally watched an episode on DVD (can't remember why) and was hooked! It's brilliant stuff!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Do you like firefly?

Anything that guy touches just seems to rock on TV.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I turned my nose up at 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' when it was on TV, assuming it was lightweight, juvenile fluff.
Finally watched an episode on DVD (can't remember why) and was hooked! It's brilliant stuff!!
same thing happened to me. but then Angel was better, and the later seasons of buffy were kinda bad... the show went downhill after the musical episode. (the i loved the musical episode)

biggest TV show that this happened to me with was Babylon 5, i always saw the ads as a kid, but Londos haircut always threw me off from actually wanting to watch it.. and then one day, after i became quite the Scifi nerd, i gave it a shot. and Bab5 is one of the best shows ever made. defenatly top 3. and its hard to list them in any kind of order, Bab5, Sg-1, [the first trek series youve ever watched, mine was voyager]

as for books. Books in General is my under a rock. i hated to read while i was in school. but then about 2 years ago i started readign heavily and havent stopped, and ever since my first ebook reader, ive become a voracious reader, knocking back about 2 books a week.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
biggest TV show that this happened to me with was Babylon 5, i always saw the ads as a kid, but Londos haircut always threw me off from actually wanting to watch it.. and then one day, after i became quite the Scifi nerd, i gave it a shot. and Bab5 is one of the best shows ever made. defenatly top 3. and its hard to list them in any kind of order, Bab5, Sg-1, [the first trek series youve ever watched, mine was voyager]
Agreed (on Babylon 5 being great)! They were working on a Babylon 5 game once, but had a falling out with the copyright holder (I think it changed hands). I was devastated.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Yeah, Babylon 5 is a very good show.
You can also have a look at Farscape, it's pretty well done and very funny at times.

For a Babylon 5 game, I know there is a roleplaying game that is available, and also a space combat game.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
Do you like firefly?

Anything that guy touches just seems to rock on TV.
Firefly is great! I wish they had done more than one season. The movie, Serenity, wasn't bad, but not as good as the series.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Firefly is great! I wish they had done more than one season. The movie, Serenity, wasn't bad, but not as good as the series.
Alot of good shows are canceled. I am still lamenting the loss of Boston Legal.

Denny Crane (er BOb)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Alot of good shows are canceled. I am still lamenting the loss of Boston Legal.

Denny Crane (er BOb)
boston legal has been cancelled ??? that show is brilliant.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
boston legal has been cancelled ??? that show is brilliant.
Yes, they recently had their series finale. One of the shows a few weeks ago the lawyers sued network TV because there was nothing on for "older" people to watch. They argued that most of the stuff on TV was geared to people 18-30 while the largest and growing audience was 50 and older... and those were the people with all the money too.

There was a line like.. "...and the only show with actors even over 50 is Bo... I can't say the name." heh heh.

I will miss this show.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, they recently had their series finale. One of the shows a few weeks ago the lawyers sued network TV because there was nothing on for "older" people to watch. They argued that most of the stuff on TV was geared to people 18-30 while the largest and growing audience was 50 and older... and those were the people with all the money too.

There was a line like.. "...and the only show with actors even over 50 is Bo... I can't say the name." heh heh.

I will miss this show.

BOb
yes, that show is astoundingly well-written. i think it's easily one of the best shows on, possibly the best. you are not the only one who will miss it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm still mourning West Wing. After that, I'll get around to mourning BL. Scrubs is coming back, and the second half of the season for Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice are all coming up soon, so I will be able to survive.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, that show is astoundingly well-written. i think it's easily one of the best shows on, possibly the best. you are not the only one who will miss it.
I think Boston Legal got worse with time. The first seasons was much better then the latter ones. I also miss West Wing.

The best show in recent years that was cancelled after 10 or so episodes was _Wonderfalls_.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes the Conan series. I've seen the movies, played some games on it's but never read any of Howard's works on Conan.

When I first got the SONY Reader, some how I ended up downloading the Conan series from PG and read them all.

Funny thing is that one line got me hooked both on eBooks and on the Conan series.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think Boston Legal got worse with time. The first seasons was much better then the latter ones. I also miss West Wing.
I will miss BL too. Very witty humour, although sometimes a little bit over the top.

I will never forget that episode where Crane tried to use fake tears to seduce Schmidt!

Meanwhile, I'll be watching How I Met Your Mother, Life on Mars. And BSG will be coming soon, for its finalle.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote