Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
PocketBook IQ and PDF

Guys,

What is the best PDF reader for the PocketBook IQ? The built-in reader does not display many of my PDF files correctly. Thanks.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Device: IQ
well, if there's one that should work correctly it's the one of adobe right?

I downloaded the latest apk today and attached it so just download, extract and install on your IQ.
Attached Files
File Type: rar AdobeReader.apk.rar (1.40 MB, 330 views)
RezzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Thanks. I will definitely give this a try when I get home. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It renders correctly but it's pretty slim on features.
Plus it only scrolls; no paging and no fit-to-screen.

I hear Adobe Reader X does proper paging but (of course) it needs at least 2.1.
So, I'm still waiting.
(Not that I do much PDF-ing, since I despise the format, but I have a couple manuals in the format and the IQ would be a perfect place to store them.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It renders correctly but it's pretty slim on features.
Plus it only scrolls; no paging and no fit-to-screen.

I hear Adobe Reader X does proper paging but (of course) it needs at least 2.1.
So, I'm still waiting.
(Not that I do much PDF-ing, since I despise the format, but I have a couple manuals in the format and the IQ would be a perfect place to store them.)
I thought Eclair was 2.1?

hmm, eclair 2.0/2.1... So we don't have 2.1 but 2.0?

The apk I downloaded gives a parse error.. sorry.
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
dunno if this could help, but on the PDN if you change the contents of the my/system/build.prop file to SDK=8 you can do Adobe X.

it works very well. it's actually designed for multitouch to zoom, but it automatically fits the PDF to the width of the screen, so a full size paper reads very well in landscape. no bookmarks and it does not remember what page you were on, but there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen that zips you thru the entire document (with a little indicator saying what page you're on) and there is also now search, so you can put in the page number (or a search term) and go there. No page button while reading, you just scroll by dragging.

I have a lot of scanned books and this works very well with them. Very quick loading and effortless moving thru my files (which go up to 25MB).

I use my machine strictly as a reader and this is the only app I've added to it. Well worth the time/effort to get on there.

There's a patch on slatedroid to switch the PDN SDK to 8. I have no idea if it would work for the IQ as well or if it might harm your machine. But here it is if anyone is feeling intrepid/reckless:

http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/fil..._23_update.zip

(unzip the file and there is another zip file in there, flash from SD card)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
RezzZ
Connoisseur

got a way to install Acrobat X.

source:
In order to get this to install on my hacked WPDN with 09/23FW, I had to change the contents of my /system/build.prop file from: ro.build.version.sdk=4
to: ro.build.version.sdk=8

with root explorer this is done in a few secs. After a reboot you can install.

edit: soondai already explained
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

For some reason, I can't seem to install it. I get a parsing error.

The reason I need a better PDF reader is that 80% of my documents are PDF. The built-in PDF reader in the IQ is horrible. 60% of my PDF don't get displayed correctly. For example, say page 1 is centered correctly on the screen and the next page isn't and so on and so forth. Not to mention the slowness. It is SLOW. Is this due for an update soon?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

zeta, the second best PDF app I found was Beamreader, but it's a paid app (with a 10 day trial). It does not move quite as quickly, but does save your spot, zooms, fits to width.

I really recommend finding a way to get Adobe X working, though.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
zetareticuli
Addict

Thanks. Do you think that hack described earlier would work on the IQ?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
soondai
Guru

I would not try it.

I think Rezz's method (using root explorer) is the way to go.
I am a computer novice, but I'm sure he or someone else more knowledgeable could help you with it if it proves difficult.

the app is not only free, it works very well (though it is pretty bare bones).
I bought my machine expressly for reading PDFs and DJVU. DJVU has been a bust and I was considering returning it because Adobe 9 rendered well, but not only did not save your place, it didn't give you a decent method to return to your place. You had to scroll thru page by page.

But this app is more than adequate for my needs. Very glad I spend 100 bucks on this instead of 250 for a nook or :gulp: 500 for an iPad.

Last edited by soondai; 12-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
I recommend...

I've tried several apps for reading PDFs.
They include 'beam reader', 'pdf viewer', 'acrobat reader 9', 'repligo', 'document to go', 'office suite pro', 'quickoffice mobile suite', 'thinkfree office mobile'. Many of them are paid apps.

As a pdf viewer, I thought 'RepliGo' is really nice. The tap-to-zoom function for 2 columns pdf is quite nice.

Another good one is 'ThinkFree Office Mobile'. It's the best when I read two-column paper or multi-column magazine PDFs as it offers the decent tap-to-zoom function. Usually, I use this app for reading PDFs. It's also good for reading PPT slides.

Last edited by katzki; 12-23-2010 at 10:46 PM.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
RezzZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
For some reason, I can't seem to install it. I get a parsing error.
did you edit the file like I suggested a bit earlier? I also got the error but after the hack and a restart of android I was able to install the APK without problems.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
soondai
Guru

and just to be clear, up above I was just recommending against doing the "flash" hack with the zip file designed for the PDN. RezZ's method is the way to go.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
zetareticuli
Addict

Thank you. I am an expert computer user and engineer but I am a novice to Android. Can you provide some details as to how to edit the file? Do I need to use a specific file manager? Thanks.