Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #27271
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So unless "rollicking" means "slow and meandering" you and I had very different experiences.

Any how I finished it. And in time too which is good.

Not sure what's next, it ought to be a library book as I've got six out at the moment. But we'll see.
It probably does depend a lot on the translation. I finished up reading the one by Will Hobson.
Bookpossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #27272
haertig
Addict
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Fire Gen7, PaperWhite3, iPhone 5S
About 95% done with A.G. Riddle's "Departure". Also, about 95% done with Bill Bryson's audiobook, "In a Sunburned Country".

Polished off two James Rollins short stories before that: "Kowalski's in Love" and "Tracker", to catch me up with all the books in the "Sigma Force" series so I can continue with the next novel where I left off, "Bloodline".

I might possibly slip in S.M. Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time" before going back to Rollins. Or, I liked Hugh Howey's "Wool" so much a few months back, that I might dive into his "Shift" next. I never really know what I'm going to read next until the second I start reading it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #27273
kcladyz
Lover of little parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 7", Paperwhite, iPad 9.7, ASUS 8, Fire & and 8 inch
I started Last Train to Istanbul. Supposed to be a best seller but it is so slow and boring I am having trouble staying interested. I am also reading The Litigators by John Gresham and to my sadness its not that great. I love his books but I cant seem to keep interest in this one. I also finished Salems lot and it was simply fantastic!
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #27274
kcladyz
Lover of little parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 7", Paperwhite, iPad 9.7, ASUS 8, Fire & and 8 inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'll have to seriously think about reading it soonest.
The edition I have has a sort of prequel and an after story. It also has deleted scenes that king took out of the book in its own section at the end. I remember seeing the movie but the book is so much better. It is more creepy than "IT"
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #27275
haertig
Addict
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Fire Gen7, PaperWhite3, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I remember seeing the movie but the book is so much better.
I thought the movie was really good. I'll certainly have to read the book now!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 AM   #27276
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm now in the middle of reading "A Talent to Amuse", Sheridan Morley's biography of Noel Coward. It really only covers his professional life, but it does that in an amusing way.

I'm also starting Black Horses for the King by Anne McCaffrey. Another purchase from the Fictionwise days.
The Noel Coward biography was OK. A bit dry in places, and as mentioned, really only covered his professional life.

Black Horses for the King was a fun Arthurian tale, following a minor character.

Now I'm reading Man-Kzin Wars IV

[EDIT]

Which I've now just finished. Two good longer-length stories.

Next up: Pulse by Felix Francis.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-15-2018 at 08:07 AM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #27277
Ricky D'Angelo
Addict
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-1, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Basic, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Are you reading the unabridged UK version, or the American translation?

As for me, I am halfway through The Three Musketeers, the New Leaf selection for this month, and it has been slow going.
It's the unabridged version. . wasn't too impressed with that last chapter will have to re-read to get a better understanding. Have moved on to Fahrenheit 451.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 06-15-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #27278
RobertLCollins
Zealot
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Last night I finished Manners & Mutiny, the fourth & final book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. It had slow but dramatic start, then accelerated towards a rousing finish. There was a warm happy ending that I wanted and needed. I enjoyed how this and last book planted seeds for the "Parasol Protectorate" books. And there were the exploding fake desserts. I plan to move on from that to the final book in a more serious series, probably starting next week.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM   #27279
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Pulse by Felix Francis.
I was pleasantly surprised by Pulse. Much better than the other Felix Francis I've read. The others have been added to my wish list.

Next up: Analog SFF, July/August 2018.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #27280
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas.

No idea what I'll read next, but it certainly will not be related to this in any way, shape or form.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #27281
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Next up is Daryl Gregory's Spoonbenders.
"Romp" is the word I've settled on. What a fun romp through the lives of the "Amazing Telemachus Family:" charlatans and psychics. Throw in some shady government agencies, and some organized crime and you begin to have an inkling of what may be in store. Humorous without being campy; quirky without crossing the line to downright weird. But what really won me over was the author's ability to range as far afield as he did (and with as many characters and timelines as he did) yet still manage weave all the loose ends back into one satisfying conclusion--in one book no less!

And because I can't seem to write a review any more without a comparative (and quite often non-literary) mashup of some kind, I'm just going to throw this out there: Arrested Development's Bluth family meets The Men Who Stare at Goats. Make of that what you will.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote