Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

Most Recent Update for Oasis 2

So I see two 5.9.6 updates for the Oasis 2:
"Update_Kindle_Oasis.5.9.6.bin" and
"Update_Kindle_All_New_Oasis.5.9.6.bin"

The first says for 8th generation and the second says for the 9th generation

Why do the morons at Amazon even use the words "generation" - totally meaningless and how des one find out what "generation" your device is
I have a 32 Gb Champagne Gold WiFi Oasis - which device is it and what version of 5.9.6 do I use
Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
The original Oasis is 8th generation and the new Oasis is 9th. The generations are roughly based on the year the model first came out.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
The original Oasis is 8th generation and the new Oasis is 9th. The generations are roughly based on the year the model first came out.
Thank you - Amazon seems to like to deliberately confuse its customers
Old 06-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Amazon is not forcing you to use their products. If you don't like them just buy from other company.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Since Amazon Kindle sells devices to be used to read, they mistakenly think their customers will read. Go figure.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have trouble trying to figure out what generation my paperwhite is. Since I bought it this year I thought it was the latest model. Apparently not for the update was rejected
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I have trouble trying to figure out what generation my paperwhite is. Since I bought it this year I thought it was the latest model. Apparently not for the update was rejected
The Paperwhites are diificult. I had to make 3 trials before I found the right one to my elderly paperwhite.
Fortunately the device itself knows what is right and what is not.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:03 AM   #8
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
So I see two 5.9.6 updates for the Oasis 2:
"Update_Kindle_Oasis.5.9.6.bin" and
"Update_Kindle_All_New_Oasis.5.9.6.bin"

The first says for 8th generation and the second says for the 9th generation

Why do the morons at Amazon even use the words "generation" - totally meaningless and how des one find out what "generation" your device is
I have a 32 Gb Champagne Gold WiFi Oasis - which device is it and what version of 5.9.6 do I use
You can always check which Kindle you have here https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
The generation # is # of years from the original Kindle release minus one (because there was a two gap between the Kindle and the Kindle 2 and a one year gap between all successive generations).

Thus the 2017 Oasis being released 10 years from the original Kindle is a 9th generation Kindle. The original Oasis was released in 2016 and is thus an 8th generation Kindle.

You can also go directly to the firmware of your ereader by following links from the My Devices and Content page. Or you could just wait for Amazon to push the firmware update through wifi to your Kindle.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
FYI Amazon is using the word generations by textbook definition. Every time they update the hardware and mass produce a new family of Kindles that is considered a new generation. It is only meaningless if you're in a rage.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
If you could list five companies that tried to deliberately confuse its customers (and I don't think you can), you would have a list of five companies that are no longer in business.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #12
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
If you could list five companies that tried to deliberately confuse its customers (and I don't think you can), you would have a list of five companies that are no longer in business.
On the other hand, if you are saying that some of Amazon's customers get confused from time to time in dealing with technical issues, I would agree.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote