Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
no9on
no9on began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can not Install Portable versions of 3.x

Trying to perform clean upgrade and/or clean install of Calibre Portable.

Every version from 3.x will not extract/install to a new or existing folder. I am running Win 7N Pro under admin privileges. All versions of 2.x ran w/o issues.

Have cleaned registry, tried different drives, booting to Win 7 on other drives.

Procedure followed:

Run calibre-portable-installer-3.9.0.exe (and other previous 3.x) as admin.
Receive prompt to browse/select location.
Tried picking new folder/ existing 2.x folder/ different drive for install locations.
Receive Windows Error Pop-up: "The specified directory does not exist:
[Drive]:\Portableapps\CalibrePortable (Error Code: 1)

The drive does indeed exist and it is either empty for a new install, or a previous version within.

From my research:
Error Code 1: Incorrect function. [ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION (0x1)]

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
no9on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:09 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Minor point - portable installer creates a folder named "Calibre Portable" in the selected location - note the space between 'Calibre' and 'Portable' - viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	159547

Try using the built-in file dialogues - see CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS in ==>> Environment variables

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
no9on

BetterRed - thanks for the reply...

I set CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS to a value of TRUE; then did a reboot.

Still getting the prompt to set a path, and the same result.

I'm not clear by what you said about "portable installer creates a folder named "Calibre Portable" in the selected location."

The portable app is asking for the location and setting the Enviro Var did not change that (Unless my Value set as TRUE should be something else).
I also did try to choose a new folder which I named "Calibre Portable" using a space, again with the same result.

Sorry for maybe not grasping your instructions fully.

In your example, it seems that you created a directory of your choice, ie, _Sandpit to locate the Calibre Portable folder. So, in my case, other than letting Calibre take over the folder assignment by using the Envir Var (which I may have not done correctly), I'm not clear on how to proceed or why the problem is happening.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS does not affect the portable installer only calibre itself. The error message you posted happens when either the selected directory does not exist or you dont have write permissions for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
no9on

kovidgoyal - Thank you for your reply

I believe that you know how your code is supposed to behave, however something has definitely changed from 2.x to 3.x in how Calibre (at least, the Portable version) installs. I don't know if there is something unique to my use of Win 7N (the non-media version).

As I said in my first post, I have tried to upgrade from a working, existing 2.x folder; likewise I have created new folders for a clean install on the same and different drives where I have full admin security permissions.

I can continue to use the 2.85 version, but it would be nice to get current.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not try the full version and see what happens? If you are running a 64-bit Windows, you'd be able to install a 64-bit Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
no9on

JSWolf - thank you

x64 is not an option on my current hardware and re-installing the OS is something I don't care for. The system has been running well for years with all types of Windows, Adobe, cad, publishing, etc, and I don't have issues of this type with any. That includes Calibre 2.85, which I continue to use.

In case it is an issue, the platform is Core 2 Duo E8400 x86. Plenty of horsepower and memory to run all current apps (except Calibre).
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AFAIK - Windows 7N is the version created for Michel Barnier to give EU users a choice of browsers - nothing to do with non-media. If Windows was pre-installed on the computer it's almost certainly an OEM version which won't have any installable media, instead it might have a "Recovery Disk".

But I find it difficult to believe that the N edition of Win7 in the cause of your problem.

Try installing 3.9 portable to a fresh directory in Safe Mode?

BR
Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
no9on

BetterRed -

1) You are correct, the Win 7N is perfectly compatible with media functionality, but lacks the Internet Explorer browser AND MS Media Player, by design. You can, of course, install those application packages if desired, but that defeats the purpose of the "N" designation. It was established by order of the European courts, which didn't want an integrated browser.

2) I did try, unsuccessfully, to install in Safe Mode in one of my early attempts to troubleshoot.

Sorry for presenting such a headache; I have to believe that there was indeed a change in code, (maybe for Win 10 compatibility?), due to the obvious 3.x and forward symptoms. But something on my end must be unique to trigger it, since I presume that everyone else has had no issues. I searched the forum and have only found others with issues After installation. No one else seems to be actually blocked from installing it.

I may try to install the non-Portable version and see if it completes the process.

Thanks again...
Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9on View Post
JSWolf - thank you

x64 is not an option on my current hardware and re-installing the OS is something I don't care for. The system has been running well for years with all types of Windows, Adobe, cad, publishing, etc, and I don't have issues of this type with any. That includes Calibre 2.85, which I continue to use.

In case it is an issue, the platform is Core 2 Duo E8400 x86. Plenty of horsepower and memory to run all current apps (except Calibre).
Thing is, if you go 64-Bit Windows now, you fix whatever is broken such that Calibre isn't working and you get access to more memory for Calibre. I know it's a pain to start over, but it's worth it.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
no9on

JSWolf - roger that... when I build a new box (current MB can not do x64), it will be done
Old 10-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
JSWolf - roger that... when I build a new box (current MB can not do x64), it will be done
What about the MB cannot do 64-bit? The processor can run 64-bit Windows.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@no9on - according to my reckoning (from here) there are ~1,100,000 million active users in the EU who use calibre on Windows.

I imagine quite a few would use the portable version on Windows 7N.

BR
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
no9on

JSWolf - I don't recall the details, but not all of the legacy MBs were compatible with a 64-bit OS. I did attempt to go that route.

BetterRed - A lone troublemaker out of a million; I must be very special... in a not so good way...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
JSWolf - I don't recall the details, but not all of the legacy MBs were compatible with a 64-bit OS. I did attempt to go that route.
So, try installing the regular 32bit version ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

BR