Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I'm a neanderthal I guess. I just click get the book from Amazon or Kobo and it goes to my device. Some Kindle I send to the cloud as I want it but not immediately. I have Calibre but don't have a good and very brief Calibre for dummies to become proficient with it in the (very) short attention span I'm willing to give. The click and done on Kindle/Kobo websites always wins out.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
Roadking
Roadking began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen. 11
Kindle Paperwhite 11 is bulls..it; Pocketbook HD3 is much better !!!

There are other reasons too, why the Kindle Paperwhite is bulls..it:
- you cannot hide the Startpage (wrong info in Manual, it shows how to do it)
- no possibility to downgrade firmware
- no possibility to disable automatic firmware upgrade when WLAN is on
- support guy says: "no more support of MOBI, AZW3 and AZW
I sent it back and bought a Pocketbook HD3 !! It has much more needful features, is open to the most common ebook formats, has touchscreen AND 4 configurable buttons....
IT IS SIMPLY THE BETTER DEVICE !!
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #18
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
I sent it back and bought a Pocketbook HD3 !! It has much more needful features, is open to the most common ebook formats, has touchscreen AND 4 configurable buttons....
You can still use MOBI and AZW and AZW3, just can't send the first two over wireless anymore (they're outdated formats anyway, and converting them to AZW3 is easy), and the hiding start page thing is a leftover from an older OS version (and besides, unless you reboot a bunch it ain't a real issue). Also, please use less exclamation marks, this isn't a place for yelling, haha
I use a jailbroken Oasis 3 near daily and I am happy with it, even without hax. Does what I need it to and I like the user experience. Different strokes for different folks, dude.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #19
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
You wrote this almost exact same post over in the Calibre forum. Several days ago. We get it. You don't like kindles. Enjoy your pocketbook and go post how much you love it in the appropriate subforum....
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:04 AM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have the PW5 and I love seeing the book cover thumbnails. I love the library, but can do without the home page. With the latest firmware the only thing I dislike is the home page. Everything else suits me just fine.
The home page is awful now. Hubby and I share an account so I see his books on the home page even though I don’t download them . I also don’t like the library page in that we have to scroll down now after the first six collections rather than page forward to the next six collections. I have an Oasis so it’s just acceptable as I can use the page forward button but on a kindle without buttons it would drive me nuts. I have Kobo’s for non Amazon books and I hate it so much that if anything happened to either of my Kindles, I have a Voyage as well, I would just convert the books to epub and read them on a Kobo.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2022, 05:50 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What if someone traveling and is away from their computer for an extended time? What if someone wants to have their entire library with them so they can choose to read whatever they happen to be in the mood for on that particular day?
You can use functionality in Calibre "create catalog" and create an e-book that lists all the books you are about to export to Kindle or other reader. This e-book, let's call it a "catalog" lists all books, authors, series and book descriptions, nicely hyperlinked, so you can browse your library and then when you decide what you want to read you simply use search function on your Kindle or browse your hierarchical directories on other devices.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:30 AM   #22
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
five to seven books on your ereader????? Ok, choice is good. But on my oasis i have close to 15k and still growing. All of Louis L'Amour, Nero Wolfe, John Sandford, Terry Pratchett, Stuart Woods, etc etc etc. I read three books a day, and never know what I am going to be in the mood for. Right now I am reading Jeff Carson, jumped from John Sandford, and just discovered somebody new yesterday. The whole reason to have an e-reader is to carry a library with you. My goodness, five or seven books!!!! I would think I was being punished. But, that's why they have racetracks. Differing opinions.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:54 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The home page is awful now. Hubby and I share an account so I see his books on the home page even though I don’t download them . I also don’t like the library page in that we have to scroll down now after the first six collections rather than page forward to the next six collections. I have an Oasis so it’s just acceptable as I can use the page forward button but on a kindle without buttons it would drive me nuts. I have Kobo’s for non Amazon books and I hate it so much that if anything happened to either of my Kindles, I have a Voyage as well, I would just convert the books to epub and read them on a Kobo.
You might consider setting up another Amazon account and connecting them with Family Sharing. You can share any purchases and you’ll have independent Collections, reading status/position, goodreads (if either of you use it), etc.

I don’t understand the issue you have with collections: what is the diff between ‘scroll down’ and ‘page forward’, seems about the same amount of effort involved to navigate. And navigating should be a little more efficient in some cases.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #24
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don’t understand the issue you have with collections: what is the diff between ‘scroll down’ and ‘page forward’, seems about the same amount of effort involved to navigate. And navigating should be a little more efficient in some cases.
On a Kindle with page-turn buttons, page forward is one flex of one finger. Scroll down is a swipe, which is a major muscle movement. Doing that repeatedly is a lot less pleasant (and a lot harder to control) than repeated hits of the page forward button. (But one plus of the new UI is that the scrollbar is now responsive so you can leap a long way ahead easily. This is the only plus that I can see: the new wildly variable not-a-back-button behaviour is *abominable*. I'm always quitting books after searches by mistake because it's not even *remotely* consistent.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
On a Kindle with page-turn buttons, page forward is one flex of one finger. Scroll down is a swipe, which is a major muscle movement. Doing that repeatedly is a lot less pleasant (and a lot harder to control) than repeated hits of the page forward button. (But one plus of the new UI is that the scrollbar is now responsive so you can leap a long way ahead easily. This is the only plus that I can see: the new wildly variable not-a-back-button behaviour is *abominable*. I'm always quitting books after searches by mistake because it's not even *remotely* consistent.)
Of course the new interface includes page up/down buttons you can tap on that do what the page turn buttons on Oasis/Voyage do. It’s much more controlled than swiping, though that is still available.

I don’t know what you mean by ‘wildly variable not a back button’. Navigating search results works very well for me. Are you on the latest firmware version? They made some improvements that weren’t there with the initial UI redesign.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:35 PM   #26
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You might consider setting up another Amazon account and connecting them with Family Sharing. You can share any purchases and you’ll have independent Collections, reading status/position, goodreads (if either of you use it), etc.

Setting up another Amazon account would be pointless as we have over 2000 ebooks bought between us on our one account. The swiping is pain as it’s unreliable. I just dislike the home page and the collections view now so much I’ve spent three days setting my kobo up as my main e-reader. I have books from various retailers so it makes much more sense combining all of them and having them on my Kobo.

If hubby doesn’t want my Oasis (he’s still using a Voyage) then I’ll give it six months and then sell it. I only need a kindle now to read samples and I can do that on my iPad. I know I need a kindle to be able to download ebooks to my PC but a cheap kindle is just as effective for that as a top range Oasis. I’m pretty much done with kindles now.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #27
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I don’t know what you mean by ‘wildly variable not a back button’. Navigating search results works very well for me. Are you on the latest firmware version? They made some improvements that weren’t there with the initial UI redesign.
Search for something in a book: the X in the search pane takes you back to the book, the arrow at the top left takes you out of the book entirely and back to the library pane (before you search, this is correctly labelled, but after you search it is sometimes incorrectly labelled with the name of the book). Do an X-Ray lookup: the X at the top right takes you back to the book, the arrow at the top left takes you back to the X-Ray search (!). Hit 'about this book | see in store'; the X takes you back to the about this book page (!) and there is no arrow at the top left. Pop into a dictionary: the arrow at the top left (which suddenly has no label) takes you back to the book (!), which is completely inconsistent with search even though searching in a dictionary is obviously a sort of searching.

And that's not even considering all the *other* things like settings mini-panes you drag down from the top and the like, all of which now have their own *completely inconsistent* special snowflake ways of going back.

Add all this up and I am *constantly* picking the wrong option and ending up thrown out of the book. This is a thousand times worse than the old UI where there was almost always a back button and its use was completely consistent: it took you back to where you were before. Plus of course the back button was where the "get hurled out into the library" button is now, and looks very like it, so anyone with habit patterns built up on older Kindles is going to be betrayed by them at every turn.

I have no idea what Amazon are on, but I do strongly suspect that nobody on the Kindle UI team actually uses Kindles any more, or they'd have noticed how rage-inducing these UI changes are.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Today I sent eight samples to my Kindle Oasis. I was trying to put them into a collection (called samples) and somehow I ended up half way down the collection list even though the sample collection is the first collection as it’s prefixed a.

I ended up confused and I’m not a normally a confused person. The whole UI is a mess.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Today I sent eight samples to my Kindle Oasis. I was trying to put them into a collection (called samples) and somehow I ended up half way down the collection list even though the sample collection is the first collection as it’s prefixed a.

I ended up confused and I’m not a normally a confused person. The whole UI is a mess.
Arguably you do not need a collection for Samples: there is a filter you can turn on for that.

That said, what you should do is open your Samples collection, put it in Recent order, tap +/- to add new items, tap filter icon and select type Samples. Your latest samples should be at the top and you can just select them.

The ability to filter what is shown in any view is part of the new UI.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:06 PM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Arguably you do not need a collection for Samples: there is a filter you can turn on for that.

That said, what you should do is open your Samples collection, put it in Recent order, tap +/- to add new items, tap filter icon and select type Samples. Your latest samples should be at the top and you can just select them.

The ability to filter what is shown in any view is part of the new UI.
I like collections. The fact is it shouldn’t be difficult or confusing to use a Kindle. I had one since the Kindle Keyboard was released so I know what I’m doing. By trying to make the Kindle UI look and act like the Fires has just made it one big mess. There are far too many options if you try and do anything with a book and the writing is too small.

My Oasis is now useless to me. I have to use it for samples but that’s it.