Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Deleting books from Collections

In the last few weeks, I've had an increasing problem where books I remove from collections refuse to stay removed. The next time I use wi-fi the books I have removed from collections reappear within those collections. So books I have removed from my Currently Reading and Next Reads collections when I finish them, or decide to remove them for some other reason, keep coming back. This problem does not occur with adding new books to collections, though - they stay added.

Has anyone else had this issue? Once or twice I've deleted the collections and then recreated them, but the problem has recurred after a while, and it is tiresome to keep doing this. I've tried the obvious, i.e. restarting. I really don't want to have to completely reset though given the number of books I have on my device, though I will consider if there is really no other way.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I don’t know if it makes a difference, but do you delete them directly from the kindle or from the “Your content and devices” page on Amazon?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
I don’t know if it makes a difference, but do you delete them directly from the kindle or from the “Your content and devices” page on Amazon?
From the Kindle. I have no choice anyway as in Amazon.co.uk we cannot manage collections from that webpage.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Sorry to hear that - hope you can find a solution beyond reset. Could it be the perennial buggy book? Have you deleted one book at a time or in batches?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
From the Kindle. I have no choice anyway as in Amazon.co.uk we cannot manage collections from that webpage.
I have no difficulty, what error or problem prevents you?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Sorry to hear that - hope you can find a solution beyond reset. Could it be the perennial buggy book? Have you deleted one book at a time or in batches?
Thanks for your response. I don't think it's a buggy book as they are books I have bought and downloaded without problem, they just won't stay removed from their collection. I'll give an example. When I finish reading a book, I remove it from my Current Reads collection. It will still be in one or more other collections, according to its genre and/or author. But when I next use WiFi, it will have re-added itself to the Current Reads collection.

I'm assuming from the few responses I've had that this is not a general problem, though.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
I have no difficulty, what error or problem prevents you?
Hi. I mean in Manage Your Content and Devices on amazon.co.uk there is no option in my browser (Google Chrome) to manipulate collections. I can select books to deliver or delete them but nothing more. I understand that this is possible on Amazon.com but I have never been able to do it on Amazon.co.uk.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Yes, I have the same problem since the last couple of updates. The current version of the software has a major bug.

Even worse: often, after I modify a book with Calibre, I sent the new version to my Kindle (Voyage) and the book completely vanished on the Kindle... but it is still there anyway, and I can access the text (the new version) using the back arrow and only with it (the book is invisible on the Kindle, even with the search function).

I'm pretty sure the software engineers will need at least 6 months before they realize there is a bug, and another 6 months before they fix the problem. Fatalitas!

Last edited by Pyjam; 05-13-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Are you removing them while connected to wifi? Try this, make sure you are connected to wifi, remove (uncheck) from collection. Sync your kindle and when finished disconnect from wifi and check to be sure still removed from collection. Wait a few minutes, reconnect, sync and see if the books are still gone from collection.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, I'm wondering if the WiFi off may be part of the problem. I leave my wifi on, so I can buy new books at will. I use collections heavily (CurrentHotStuff, Done, Read2018, Paid$$, UnRead$$, Series .... a book will be in perhaps 4 collections) but I always have the Wifi on.

Then again, my kindle is new enough that I don't worry about battery issues. I just plug it in every 3-4 days, or once a week if I'm not reading.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I don't think it's a buggy book as they are books I have bought and downloaded without problem, they just won't stay removed from their collection. I'll give an example. When I finish reading a book, I remove it from my Current Reads collection. It will still be in one or more other collections, according to its genre and/or author. But when I next use WiFi, it will have re-added itself to the Current Reads collection.

I'm assuming from the few responses I've had that this is not a general problem, though.
I think I've identified the issue. I think it's connected to incomplete syncing between my Kindle OA2 and the Kindle app for Android. I noticed that the latter had not synced and contained some old and modified collections I have now changed on my OA2. I deleted some books from one of the offending collections on the Android app, and they disappeared from my OA2 and didn't return when I switched on WiFi on that. To address the problem I have temporarily uninstalled the Android app from my phone, and redone the deletions on my OA2. They have stayed deleted when the WiFi is switched off and on and back off again, so the problem is sorted. I will reinstall the Android app (which I only use occasionally anyway) when things settle down.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Hi. I mean in Manage Your Content and Devices on amazon.co.uk there is no option in my browser (Google Chrome) to manipulate collections. I can select books to deliver or delete them but nothing more. I understand that this is possible on Amazon.com but I have never been able to do it on Amazon.co.uk.
I looked at the MYCD section on amazon.co.uk on my Windows PC at work today and saw the add to collections feature there - but it's still not visible using my Google Chrome browser (on a Chromebook) at home. Odd.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I looked at the MYCD section on amazon.co.uk on my Windows PC at work today and saw the add to collections feature there - but it's still not visible using my Google Chrome browser (on a Chromebook) at home. Odd.
Does not show up with mobile Safari, either.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #14
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does not show up with mobile Safari, either.
Even more oddly, it DOES appear on the chrome browser on my phone, but still not on my Chromebook.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
I think I've identified the issue. I think it's connected to incomplete syncing between my Kindle OA2 and the Kindle app for Android. I noticed that the latter had not synced and contained some old and modified collections I have now changed on my OA2. I deleted some books from one of the offending collections on the Android app, and they disappeared from my OA2 and didn't return when I switched on WiFi on that. To address the problem I have temporarily uninstalled the Android app from my phone, and redone the deletions on my OA2. They have stayed deleted when the WiFi is switched off and on and back off again, so the problem is sorted. I will reinstall the Android app (which I only use occasionally anyway) when things settle down.
Damn. No, they've come back again. So it can't be the incomplete sync with the Android app.