Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Specifying the dictionary in Android Kindle app

NOTE: Not sure if I should post this in the Android or the Kindle section. Apologies if this is the wrong place. Mods are welcome to move it.

Does anyone know how to specify a non-standard dictionary in the Kindle Android app?

Some time ago, I bought a French dictionary for my Kindle e-ink reader. It works fine. I would now like to use the same dictionary when reading French books on my Android device. But the Android app does not seem to offer any way of specifying which dictionary to use. I have downloaded the default French dictionary, but I want to use the one I previously purchased.

Is this possible, or is it one of those things that Amazon somehow forget to implement?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
NOTE: Not sure if I should post this in the Android or the Kindle section. Apologies if this is the wrong place. Mods are welcome to move it.

Does anyone know how to specify a non-standard dictionary in the Kindle Android app?

Some time ago, I bought a French dictionary for my Kindle e-ink reader. It works fine. I would now like to use the same dictionary when reading French books on my Android device. But the Android app does not seem to offer any way of specifying which dictionary to use. I have downloaded the default French dictionary, but I want to use the one I previously purchased.

Is this possible, or is it one of those things that Amazon somehow forget to implement?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hi Mike;

Regrettably, on Android, Amazon Kindle application doesn’t support custom dictionaries so, in principle, you won't be able to use your french dictionary (it can be used only on Kindle readers).

However, there is a hack in order to get what you want. Do the following:
  1. Open any book (no matter which) and request a definition in a language that you won't use (Deutsche for example). The Kindle app will start to download that dictionary; wait the download is completed and exit from the app (use task manager to kill the app to make sure).
  2. The downloaded dictionary will be in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files folder. In order to detect the downloaded dictionary, watch what is the last modified date. Remember the name of the .prc file (also you could find a .mbp file -you'll find them inside a folder named B00XXXXXXX-; of course, instead of XXX you'll have another thing) and rename it/them (change extensions).
  3. Copy in this folder your french dictionary and give it the same name as the .prc file whose name you changed in the previous step (if your french dictionary has another extension than .prc, no matter, give it that extension, so that your dictionary is named something like B00XXXXXXX_EBOK.prc).
  4. Now open Kindle app and use your dictionary (of course, you will be choosing the Deutsche dictionary but actually will be your french dict.)

Of course, with the previous method, instead of changing a Deustche dict you can change the Amazon french dict, but by doing as I tell you, you'll have both, your custom french dict and the Amazon's.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Rubén,

That's what I call good service. Many thanks. It worked almost 100 percent.

Just to add a couple of points (for the benefit of anyone else with the same problem):

1. I found it easier to do the file renaming on my PC rather than the Android device. I copied the PRC (the one that I downloaded as Deutsch) to the PC, then copied its filename to the clipboard (by selecting the file and hitting F2). I then used that clipboard entry to rename a copy of the original French dictionary. And finally I copied the renamed French dictionary back to the device. This was all much easier than writing down the exact name and then trying to type it with the Android keyboard.

2. In order to select the French dictionary, I had to select Deutsch the first time I used it. If I select French, it gives me the built-in dictionary. No problem with that.*

3. My one remaining problem: With the new French dictionary installed, when I look up a word, I only see the headword and its phonetic representation, not the definition. I have to go Full Definition to actually see the definition. This is presumably a fault of the dictionary, not of the Kindle reader or the method that you kindly gave me. (But the problem doesn't exist when I use that same dictionary on my Kindle e-ink reader.) Anyway, it's not the end of the world.

So thanks again for sharing your expertise.

*EDIT: Re point 2 above, I just noticed that you did warn me about this.

Mike

Last edited by Mike L; 08-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Hi Rubén,

That's what I call good service. Many thanks. It worked almost 100 percent.

Just to add a couple of points (for the benefit of anyone else with the same problem):

1. I found it easier to do the file renaming on my PC rather than the Android device. I copied the PRC (the one that I downloaded as Deutsch) to the PC, then copied its filename to the clipboard (by selecting the file and hitting F2). I then used that clipboard entry to rename a copy of the original French dictionary. And finally I copied the renamed French dictionary back to the device. This was all much easier than writing down the exact name and then trying to type it with the Android keyboard.

2. In order to select the French dictionary, I had to select Deutsch the first time I used it. If I select French, it gives me the built-in dictionary. No problem with that.*

3. My one remaining problem: With the new French dictionary installed, when I look up a word, I only see the headword and its phonetic representation, not the definition. I have to go Full Definition to actually see the definition. This is presumably a fault of the dictionary, not of the Kindle reader or the method that you kindly gave me. (But the problem doesn't exist when I use that same dictionary on my Kindle e-ink reader.) Anyway, it's not the end of the world.

So thanks again for sharing your expertise.

*EDIT: Re point 2 above, I just noticed that you did warn me about this.

Mike
Good work and you're welcome Mike Nice you found an easier method to rename files. Regarding your remaining issue, I think is due to your custom dictionary (as you suspect). If you are using an english-to-french dictionary, then do the try with the one that you can download (is free) from here:

http://eb.lv/dict/

I'm using the english-to-spanish version in Kindle for Android and works perfectly.

Rubén
Old 08-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard

I'll certainly look for an alternative dictionary, although I'm not finding it too difficult to have to click through to Full Definition each time.

Thanks for the link. It looks like he's got some interesting stuff there.

Mike
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Astroredg
Astroredg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Had also the same problem and all I can say is that it worked great for me. Had only one file to rename.
Astroredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
mb93
mb93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 3G, 3W, DXG
Thank you!
Although this post is old, it's still working (with a english-french dictionary downloaded from the link above).
Note: on my Samsung Note9, with the "Samsung MyFiles" app , I couldn't see and access the mentioned directories... I solved it with the free app "Files by Google".
mb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb93 View Post
Thank you!
Although this post is old, it's still working (with a english-french dictionary downloaded from the link above).
Note: on my Samsung Note9, with the "Samsung MyFiles" app , I couldn't see and access the mentioned directories... I solved it with the free app "Files by Google".
You are welcome