Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #721
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wait. what ?
Er... you have seen the movie Forbidden Planet, right?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #722
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
[QUOTE=pshrynk;210177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2112 View Post
Excuse me, sir. We're going to have to take you away now. Come with us, please.
Just promise me that I am being taken to someplace that has the following:
Quiet
Alcohol
Books
Music
Food

I will come along peacefully!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #723
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Er... you have seen the movie Forbidden Planet, right?
...no...

(pre-emptive duck, in anticipation of much outcry...)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #724
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I recommend seeing Forbidden Planet at your earliest convenience. It's not my favorite SF movie of that era (that would be The Day the Earth Stood Still), but it's definitely worth seeing. (And it's where that robot appears first, I think.)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #725
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
[quote=Spartacus2112;210279]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

Just promise me that I am being taken to someplace that has the following:
Quiet
Alcohol
Books
Music
Food

I will come along peacefully!
Umm... Sure! No problem! (They still have mojitos down there, right?)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #726
tINmOUSE
(stand in: rOBOTmINION)
tINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watch

Device: none yet. Waiting for Mentor.
Quote:
"Star sapphires take a week to crystalize properly. Will diamonds and emeralds do?"
lol. trust a woman. most guys remember the line

"Would 60 gallons be sufficient?" or
"Sorry Miss, I was just giving myself a lube job"
tINmOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #727
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINmOUSE View Post
lol. trust a woman. most guys remember the line

"Would 60 gallons be sufficient?" or
"Sorry Miss, I was just giving myself a lube job"
It is precisely for reasons like this that I usually don't reveal my gender online....

Anyone else want to chime in with favorite lines from this classic film? Statement of your gender is optional, of course.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #728
tINmOUSE
tINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watch

Robbie-the-robot was built specially for 'forbidden planet'... and was later used in 'the invisible boy' to help recover some of the cost of building him.

(interesting enough 'as' the robot from the forbidden planet movie - as theres a poster in the abandoned lab where Timmy (i know i know... Timmy) first finds robbie... or at least his scattered parts. The picture is of Robbie getting off the saucer from forbidden planet (with the rest of the crew) back on earth. Robbie ends up back in the past in an abandoned lab via a time-traveling, now deceased, scientist. Who for some reason disassembles him)

He has since appeared in TV ads, cameo in other movies (like gremlins) and scifi conventions around the world.

ok ok. perhaps a little too much information???

(apologies for automatically assuming your gender as female Nekokami cause of your focus on jewelry)

Last edited by tINmOUSE; 07-07-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #729
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Not too much information. But the funny thing is, what really caught my attention about the line about star sapphires was more the chemistry and physics involved behind synthesizing stones... and the idea that getting the star pattern might take a week, but diamonds and emeralds could be synthesized more quickly.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #730
tINmOUSE

I think 'Star Sapphires' are extra special sapphires... like 'space-titanium' as apposed to regular everyday titanium used in the construction of Meca-Godzilla. (I really need to get out more)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #731
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
It is precisely for reasons like this that I usually don't reveal my gender online....

Anyone else want to chime in with favorite lines from this classic film? Statement of your gender is optional, of course.
"Beware the id!" where I learned a new word even if it isn't a Robbie quote.

Also, wasn't Robbie-the-robot used in the TV series (and the movie) lost in space?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #732
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
I think 'Star Sapphires' are extra special sapphires... like 'space-titanium' as apposed to regular everyday titanium used in the construction of Meca-Godzilla. (I really need to get out more)
Er... maybe. Star sapphires are a real type of stone:

Quote:

A star sapphire is a type of sapphire that exhibits a star-like phenomenon known as asterism. Star sapphires contain intersecting needle-like inclusions (often the mineral rutile, a mineral composed primarily of titanium dioxide[4] ) that cause the appearance of a six-rayed 'star'-shaped pattern when viewed with a single overhead light source.

The value of a star sapphire depends not only on the carat weight of the stone but also the body color, visibility and intensity of the asterism.
(from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_sapphire_(jewel) )
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #733
tINmOUSE

I stand (well, sit to be perfectly accurate) corrected.

And slayda is correct, Robbie featured in several episodes of the original 'lost-in-space' but I can't remember him in the movie. Could I have missed it? *gasp*

Apparently he has guested on various TV shows including...

The Twilight Zone (1960)
The Addams Family (1966)
Gilligan's Island (1966)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1966)
Lost in Space (1966 and 1967)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968 and 1970)
Columbo (1974)
Wonder Woman (1979)
Mork & Mindy (1979)
Gremlins (1984)
Cherry 2000 (1987)
Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) - as a piece of junk in Watto's Junk Shop)
The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XIV (2003)

... and many others.

Holly C**P batman! (but I think I strayed from the thread_topic a little)

Last edited by tINmOUSE; 07-07-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #734
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I stand (well, sit to be perfectly accurate) corrected.

(but I think I strayed from the thread_topic a little)
And you are surprised, why????
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #735
tINmOUSE

true. true.
(but I'm usually so focused :P)

Tags
duck!, fun with avatars, thwack!, unutterable silliness, zelda