Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
AriochX
AriochX began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Can't read ebooks.com books uploaded to Kobo Aura via Calibre?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place; I wasn't sure where to put it.

I recently bought a couple of books from ebooks.com, extracted them with Digital Editions and added them to my Kobo Aura via Calibre. However, when I tried to read my books on the device I found that I couldn't - the books on the e-reader were blank, with no cover image or text. When I tried adding them to my e-reader directly via Digital Editions this problem did not occur, so I could just do that if necessary, but I would really rather do everything via Calibre.

Is there a likely explanation for this problem? My device is authorised with ADE and I've downloaded books from ebooks.com and added them via Calibre before with no problems. I updated Calibre today so I don't think that's it. I tried removing and re-adding my older books from ebooks.com and they still work fine, as do my open-source books and books from other sources. Ebooks.com seem to have changed their interface slightly in the past week or so - the newer books have a "Read Online" with Amigo Reader option - so perhaps that could have something to do with it? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!
AriochX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As the books are being downloaded via ADE, that means they have DRM. Are you doing anything to remove the DRM before sending them to the device using calibre? I think that even if you have the device authorised with ADE, you still need to send DRM protected books to the device using ADE. I'm not sure as I strip the DRM so that I don't have to worry about it. A visit to our good friend Apprentice Alf, might be in order. If you already have done that, you might want to check the plugin is still installed and enabled.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
AriochX

Hi!

I'm not stripping DRM at the moment (though I am considering it), but I have previously added DRM'd books to my e-reader via Calibre without these problems. The Calibre FAQ says that as long as your device is authorised and you extract the ASCM file with ADE it should work, and it did previously - I'm not sure why it isn't now.

The book transfers and opens on the e-reader okay (which it didn't when I tried to transfer them without authorising my device) but everything is blank.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
AriochX

Okay, this is pretty strange.

I bought a book from Kobo.com (which also uses Adobe DRM), authorised it and sent it to my reader via Calibre, and it works fine. I then bought another book from ebooks.com and did the same thing, and that works fine too. It's just books from that one order that don't work. So it's not the Adobe DRM per se that's the problem.

I've emailed ebooks.com customer support about it. I really don't understand what the problem is.