Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Clara HD vs H2O 2 size comparison

I've asked this in a couple of related threads, but it's quite possible the queries were missed in the buzz over the Forma nd the new Kindle Paperwhite. It's also very possible, of course, that the reason there queries received no answer is because no one can. So, one last roll of the dice before conceding defeat:

I really love my week old Clara HD, but am still mildly tempted by the H2O 2. I've read the dimensions, and it seems the H2O is noticeably shorter and even more noticeably wider than the Clara HD. What I would love to see, and have been unable to find (despite repeated searches on Youtube) is a side-by-side comparison of their physical size. In fact a comparison with one on top of the other would be even more helpful, to give me an idea of how the differing dimensions translate to real world holdability (sic) Is anyone able to help?
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I've asked this in a couple of related threads, but it's quite possible the queries were missed in the buzz over the Forma nd the new Kindle Paperwhite. It's also very possible, of course, that the reason there queries received no answer is because no one can. So, one last roll of the dice before conceding defeat:

I really love my week old Clara HD, but am still mildly tempted by the H2O 2. I've read the dimensions, and it seems the H2O is noticeably shorter and even more noticeably wider than the Clara HD. What I would love to see, and have been unable to find (despite repeated searches on Youtube) is a side-by-side comparison of their physical size. In fact a comparison with one on top of the other would be even more helpful, to give me an idea of how the differing dimensions translate to real world holdability (sic) Is anyone able to help?

this might help https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300150 post 7.

best wishes koboy
koboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
this might help https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300150 post 7.

best wishes koboy
Thank you - now I'm more confused than ever!

The photo clearly shows the H2O bigger in BOTH length and width, while the official listings are as follows:

Clara HD: 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm
H2O 2: 129 x 172 x 8.8 mm

The Clara is definitely 159.6 "high", which means there's no way the H2O is 30mm shorter. The photo definitely makes the H2O seem huge in comparison, and I think it means I'll stick with the Clara. But reconciling the photo with the listed dimensions is a challenge.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:43 AM   #4
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The photo clearly shows the H2O bigger in BOTH length and width, while the official listings are as follows:

The Clara is definitely 159.6 "high", which means there's no way the H2O is 30mm shorter. The photo definitely makes the H2O seem huge in comparison, and I think it means I'll stick with the Clara. But reconciling the photo with the listed dimensions is a challenge.
your welcome i'm surprised there's no Clara HD vs H2O 2 comparison video.

slightly off topic it's a shame the new Kindle Paperwhite doesn't have page turn buttons i would have definitely invested.

i liked the original H2O but found it slightly too big for my liking. i'd be inclined to prefer the Clara HD but only because of it's smaller size.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

You might want to try changing one of the dimension sets so they match height, width and depth.
Code:
Clara HD:  	159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm
H2O2:           172   x 129 x 8.8 mm
So the H2O2 is 12.4mm taller, 19mm wider and 0.45mm thicker.

Otherwise, comparing apples and pomellos.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 AM   #6
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Thank you DNSB. You have cleared up my confusion nicely. I copied and pasted the dimensions directly from the Kobo.co.nz site and I assumed that all dimensions were listed in the same order for each device. That would have seemed the logical thing to do. They listed the depth last in each case, why invert the length and width?

But now that I know they inverted the listing order, the H2O looks more appealing, as it was the 172mm "wide" that was my biggest concern. Now that I now it's only 129mm wide, I am more inclined to give it a try. Many thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
slightly off topic it's a shame the new Kindle Paperwhite doesn't have page turn buttons i would have definitely invested.

best wishes koboy
Have you considered a Kindle Voyage?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you considered a Kindle Voyage?
considered yes but i wasn't enthusiastic about the page turn sensors if it had page turn buttons similar to on the older Kindles then i would have definitely got one.

i bought the basic Kindle 8th Generation it as a lovely clear screen but it doesn't get used much because i prefer the Kobo software on my best ever made Kobo ereader the Original Aura closely followed by the Mini and the Original H2O.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...my best ever made Kobo ereader the Original Aura ...

best wishes koboy
Yeah, I'd be curious to see a size comparison between the original Aura and the Clara. I do like how compact the Aura is.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I'd be curious to see a size comparison between the original Aura and the Clara. I do like how compact the Aura is.
me too

the Original Aura = 150 x 114 x 8.1 mm. the Clara HD = 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm.

the Clara HD is Longer and slightly thicker but not quite as wide as the Original Aura.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I just want to say thank you to everyone whos' helped by sharing their views, experiences, and knowledge. When payday comes round in ten days, I'll discover how the H2O2 compares to the Clara. (hopefully the origami case I just bought will arrive at more or less the same time)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #12
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Forgetting about millimetres, my feedback is that the Kobo Clara HD has got the perfect size for reading books (its purpose, I suppose).

Nevertheless, the screen is a little small to read comics (manga for example) or pdfs.
For pdfs, I guess the Aura doesn't do the job better, but it might for comics. But don't forget that the Clara HD has actually a better resolution (more pixels per point), so I can't tell how good the Aura is for displaying images.
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #13
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
Forgetting about millimetres, my feedback is that the Kobo Clara HD has got the perfect size for reading books (its purpose, I suppose).

Nevertheless, the screen is a little small to read comics (manga for example) or pdfs.
For pdfs, I guess the Aura doesn't do the job better, but it might for comics. But don't forget that the Clara HD has actually a better resolution (more pixels per point), so I can't tell how good the Aura is for displaying images.
I really want to see how much of a difference the extra screensize makes on the H2O2. Especially when reading Hindi/Urdu in devanagari, when I need a larger font to read it more easily. But I totally love my Clara, seriously love it. that's why I'm increasingly think I will keep both use the H2O around home in its origami stand case, take the Clara in my pocket when out and about.