Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 05:27 AM   #16
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This has never happened to me. True, I've never used a Paperwhite. But it didn't happen even with the old basic Kindles years ago. While I don't use the dictionary extensively, I do look something up occasionally, usually a few times per book. And I've never noticed any slowing down. Very strange.
Yeah, I posted about this I think about a year ago (or maybe more?) here on the Kindle subforum and if I remember correctly I wasn't the only one having this experience, but it was definitely very uncommon. Keep in mind that I'm not talking about occasional dictionary usage, like yours, but more like checking a couple of words per page. As I said people probably wouldn't even notice if they weren't reading for the purposes of language learning as I do; but the Kindles as ereaders are, in general, not made to be turned off on a regular basis. It takes ages for them to reboot, so having to do it relatively often is definitely a bummer. And definitely a software bug, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't like big chunks of white space at the bottom of the screen. Unless I tinker with my Kobos (at the very least enable the Full Screen Mode) I get a lot of open space. Maybe most people don't mind. I don't know. I know it drives me nuts. This is one issue I've never had with my Kindles.
Yeah, and that's perfectly valid: in fact I also patch my Kobo to have the page information closer to the bottom of the screen, so I can gain a couple of lines more. I use KEPUBs though, and dislike the full screen mode. I never had an ereader before I bought my first Kobo, and had never even seen a Kindle in real life, so what I saw there became my 'standard', I guess.

When I wrote that post I was referring to @Atunah's concerns about buying a Kobo for someone else, fearing that they'd have to tinker with it to be able to use it; that is not true. Having the possibility to do so you might want to tinker with its software, to get the optimal reading experience, but you don't need to do it, because it works perfectly fine out of the box and is not, in general, a difficult piece of tech to use.

99.9% of people who own a Kobo use it to read KEPUBs or borrowed EPUBs and don't care that they won't get a full-screen experience (the KEPUB screen looks more like a physical book anyway, so it's arguably easier to adapt to it, visually, than to the Kindle's); they probably only use a couple of fonts, and the same font size; they probably find it more immediate to connect a cable to the computer and copy and paste a book on it -- something that they are used to do with most of their devices, like phones, cameras, mp3 players... -- rather than uploading it to the cloud so that it can sync with their other devices that they won't use to read anyway; and so forth. I know plenty of people in real life who own ereaders, some of them older, some of them my age (20s) and you'd be surprised at how much people don't care about the technicalities. They mostly just want to know how they can read their PDF textbook on it, or "I have a Kindle but it won't read this book I copied on it (= EPUB), what do I do?". Probably not a problem that people in the US have, the last one, but the argument stands.

There are a lot of posts about hacking and patching here on Mobileread because we're a very small minority of ereader enthusiasts who know what they like and want, and are willing to take some risks to get it; but 99,9% of "normal" users out of here don't know about us and they don't care. Some of the issues that are brought up here at times (one interface being slightly snappier than the other, full-screen reading vs. having a header and footer etc.) are only issues for us, but not for the general public. It does seem, sometimes, that people forget this and bring up mere differences in features as huge, inescapable flaws.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
We are looking at 2 brands:

One that sells almost everything.

Another that focuses ONLY on eReaders and tablets.

Which one is better?
and tablets???

do kobo still make tablets???
a quick google search suggests they gave up after the 2013 kobo arc, running android 4 ?

being unable to build & market a decent tablet does not bode well for marketing a superior e-ink device

the kobo arc was a flop

Last edited by stumped; 10-07-2018 at 05:39 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #18
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
and tablets???

do kobo still make tablets???
a quick google search suggests they gave up after the 2013 kobo arc, running android 4 ?

being unable to build & market a decent tablet does not bode well for marketing a superior e-ink device

the kobo arc was a flop
Well...uh...OK.

"Used to manufacture tablets."

Better.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
and tablets???

The two have nothing to do with one another. Obviously "Kobo" were just branded generic tablets. Since these were just Android tablets with the Kobo app pre-installed, and tablet prices were plummeting (and — unlike Amazon — Kobo has no video media to sell), it just didn't make a lot of sense to sell a Kobo tablet.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
O.

Yeah, and that's perfectly valid: in fact I also patch my Kobo to have the page information closer to the bottom of the screen, so I can gain a couple of lines more. I use KEPUBs though, and dislike the full screen mode. I never had an ereader before I bought my first Kobo, and had never even seen a Kindle in real life, so what I saw there became my 'standard', I guess.

When I wrote that post I was referring to @Atunah's concerns about buying a Kobo for someone else, fearing that they'd have to tinker with it to be able to use it; that is not true. Having the possibility to do so you might want to tinker with its software, to get the optimal reading experience, but you don't need to do it, because it works perfectly fine out of the box and is not, in general, a difficult piece of tech to use.

99.9% of people who own a Kobo use it to read KEPUBs or borrowed EPUBs and don't care that they won't get a full-screen experience...snip
Sorry, I snipped the quote to only have what pertains to me. It would annoy the heck out of me to have large blobs of white space on the screen and it would annoy the person using the device most of the time. So right there is something that wouldn't work out of the box. I want optimal reading reading experience right out the box. Why would I get a device that doesn't do that. Sounds like a defect to me.

The person I had thought of getting a kobo is using an older Paperwhite right now and never has to deal with screen not filling pretty much the same no matter the book. I just wanted to make it easier to get the library books and that is most he reads anyway, aside a few purchased titles.

Like all kindles, besides some formatting differences, text looks the same if I buy a book, borrow a book and even if I convert a book in calibre. Mind you, I only know how to do convert with one button press. I don't have any skills to fiddle with any formatting in books. And besides not having covers when I convert from epub to mobi format, it looks about the same, same margins all around and font what I choose.

If they ever had any of the kobo's at the walmart near me I could at least check them out and see. But I don't want to get something to fiddle with. And the walmart here doesn't have them. Maybe they'll get them at some point.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #21
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Sorry, I snipped the quote to only have what pertains to me. It would annoy the heck out of me to have large blobs of white space on the screen and it would annoy the person using the device most of the time. So right there is something that wouldn't work out of the box. I want optimal reading reading experience right out the box. Why would I get a device that doesn't do that. Sounds like a defect to me.
In your previous post you implied that "it needs tinkering/hacking to work"; I simply said that it doesn't, which is the truth, and provided evidence for it. I wasn't certainly implying that you should like it in any way, or prefer it to any other ereader brand. As I said, I don't see the point of the "X vs Y" argument.
So yeah, there's really no need to be disparaging. A lot of Kobo users actually think that the "large blobs of white space" thing is a feature, and the company must think so as well, considering they haven't changed it in many years and aren't going bankrupt anytime soon. I'm sure it's possible to like different things and still have a civil discussion about it, even on the Internet.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Which one lasts longer?

Which one is more durable?

Shockproof?

Fast?

Classy?

Which one do YOU prefer, and WHY?
The new Kobo Forma is more durable then any previous Kobo and more durable then any Kindle. The Forma uses a plastic backed screen instead of a glass backed screen. So it's not only more durable, it's also lighter. So it can take drops better because the screen won't shatter. It is IPX8 waterproof. So really, the Kobo Forma is the device that fits your needs best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #23
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
In your previous post you implied that "it needs tinkering/hacking to work"; I simply said that it doesn't, which is the truth, and provided evidence for it. I wasn't certainly implying that you should like it in any way, or prefer it to any other ereader brand. As I said, I don't see the point of the "X vs Y" argument.
So yeah, there's really no need to be disparaging. A lot of Kobo users actually think that the "large blobs of white space" thing is a feature, and the company must think so as well, considering they haven't changed it in many years and aren't going bankrupt anytime soon. I'm sure it's possible to like different things and still have a civil discussion about it, even on the Internet.
As my response was quite civil and just an opinion on your own comment, I am not sure where you think there was anything disparaging.
I am only responding to your own comment about the white spaces, which I have read about before on these forums. I would not have even known about them otherwise. How is that not civil. Very confused at your post at me.

The thread asks after all amazon vs kobo. So folks, including you are going to comment on things they like or prefer about one or the other. I call that just commenting. *scratches head.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:09 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new Kobo Forma is more durable then any previous Kobo and more durable then any Kindle. The Forma uses a plastic backed screen instead of a glass backed screen. So it's not only more durable, it's also lighter. So it can take drops better because the screen won't shatter. It is IPX8 waterproof. So really, the Kobo Forma is the device that fits your needs best.
but it is a copycat of oasis 2 which many amazon customer reviews say is not comfortable for one handed use - too heavy/too slippery. i would be wary of pre ordering the forma until there are lots of reviews
the oasis 2 reviews 1 star to 5 star distribution at amazon uk is not good and as I say it is much critisized for comfort. forma may avoid the specific criticism of frame being cold metal though
there seem to be 3 common complaints re oasis 2: battery life, comfort, and compatibility issues with audible purchases. audible will be n/a for kobo?

on a separate issue, it has been a year since I considered buying a new kobo as a xmas gift, so I re-searched for a up to date summary of how stable/buggy the kobo software is nowadays. what is the best source of that. there's a hugely long bug thread but for all I know, many of those are now fixed ?. and ditto for current standards of kobo customer service. I don't really want individual horror stores, just some sort of overview, if possible
Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard

update: so here are the amszon uk customer ratings % breakdowns .
left to right is 1 star to 5 star
all new oasis
11 7 11 20 51
paperwhite
3 2 4 13 78

big samples

to me , that is off putting for the oasis, and hence for the forma also
Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #26
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yeah.

I will check it out.

But I got my Mini a month ago, so let me use it for at least 1-2 years, and then I will consider the Forma.

Unless they release a newer one in 2 years.

(Probably something like Forma HD with 500 PPI resolution and Forma Max with a new top hat accessory )
Old 10-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
update: so here are the amszon uk customer ratings % breakdowns .
left to right is 1 star to 5 star
all new oasis
11 7 11 20 51
paperwhite
3 2 4 13 78

big samples

to me , that is off putting for the oasis, and hence for the forma also
My Oasis 2 does not have the problem of being too cold, too slippery, or uncomfortable to hold. Unless I am using the cover (original now discontinued Amazon cover) as a stand, I read my Oasis without the cover. What I cannot understand is why some people order a device with a metal body and then complain that it actually feels like metal.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #28
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
We are looking at 2 brands:

One that sells almost everything.

Another that focuses ONLY on eReaders and tablets.
If that is the riterion then I am sorry to disappoint you. Rakuten sells almost everything as well, just not in the US...
And I am 100% positive that just like “lab 128”, Kobo is not acting apart from their parent company.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #29
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
My Oasis 2 does not have the problem of being too cold, too slippery, or uncomfortable to hold. Unless I am using the cover (original now discontinued Amazon cover) as a stand, I read my Oasis without the cover. What I cannot understand is why some people order a device with a metal body and then complain that it actually feels like metal.
probably because some people don't read specs, they just think newer, more expensive, what's not to like...

I was just quoting statistics, I have read reviews that say how great it is to have a cool metal frame, and other reviews that say the opposite
the critical reviews also say that the metal frame has sharp edges which add to the discomfort...

if amazon had a actual shops it would be no big deal to try then buy, but I would not want to buy one on line and return it for look& feel reasons, as that adds to the risk of amazon closing your account for too many high value returns.

A lot of verified purchase reviews do say the oasis 2 is too heavy to hold one handed for long periods, so when we start seeing kobo forma reviews we could see the same critisisms again

The most expensive Kindle I have owned was the discontinued Voyage and I never liked the expensive page turn buttons, so I sold it and " downgraded" to a paperwhite which suits me better

not impressed either with the range of colours on the top end models - both the oasis & the forma come in black or ... er .. black. a bit like a model T ford.
I much prefer a white paperwhite, colorwise.

Last edited by stumped; 10-08-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #30
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
If that is the riterion then I am sorry to disappoint you. Rakuten sells almost everything as well, just not in the US...
And I am 100% positive that just like “lab 128”, Kobo is not acting apart from their parent company.
Oh, OK.

Tags
amazon, compare, ereader, fast, kobo