Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #61
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I'm still receiving this error ever since upgrading to 1.1.1

Count ePub/Mobi Statistics
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 1929 (Orion 01: Tyger, Tyger Burning Bryght - MOBI)
FAILED TO COUNT PAGES
FAILED TO COUNT WORDS
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 92, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 31, in get_word_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 141, in get_mobi_standard_word_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 182, in _read_mobi_file
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 1142: invalid start byte

I've tried removing the plugin and installing it and still get this error.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #62
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My response is the same as I posted previously. You appear alone in experiencing this problem and I can't do anything without your mobi file to try to replicate it. Upload it to somewhere and pm me a link to it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #63
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I'm still receiving this error ever since upgrading to 1.1.1

Spoiler:
Count ePub/Mobi Statistics
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 1929 (Orion 01: Tyger, Tyger Burning Bryght - MOBI)
FAILED TO COUNT PAGES
FAILED TO COUNT WORDS
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 92, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 31, in get_word_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 141, in get_mobi_standard_word_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 182, in _read_mobi_file
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 1142: invalid start byte

I've tried removing the plugin and installing it and still get this error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
My response is the same as I posted previously. You appear alone in experiencing this problem and I can't do anything without your mobi file to try to replicate it. Upload it to somewhere and pm me a link to it.
Chin up, Becky - you are not alone!

I just download the same book - same error. It's currently free for UK according to this post in Bargains.

I also got the Smashwords horror offerings from a post this past weekend, all from the same publisher, and all with the same error.

I can confirm that a mobi-mobi conversion fixes the problem in every instance so far, but that obviously only works for DRM-free books (like the Smashwords books) or Alfers.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #64
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Oooh its not just me!!! I'm having the same issue with the same book.

I was trying to find the old plugins as well. I guess the issue is that particular book?

Edit to Add: converting Mobi to Mobi worked! Thanks

Last edited by Nyssa; 06-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #65
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx CWatkinsNash for the details on a book, I've managed to replicate the issue and will see if there is anything I can do about it.
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #66
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • No longer allow text custom columns
  • Address issue of unicode character conversion with some MOBI books for count words

@beckywc, CWatkinsNash and Nyssa - this will fix the issue you found with some MOBI files.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #67
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Awesome! I found another book with the same issue (from Smashwords) and the update worked like a charm! Thank You!!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #68
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thx CWatkinsNash for the details on a book, I've managed to replicate the issue and will see if there is anything I can do about it.
Quote:
Changes in this release:
  • No longer allow text custom columns
  • Address issue of unicode character conversion with some MOBI books for count words

@beckywc, CWatkinsNash and Nyssa - this will fix the issue you found with some MOBI files.
15 minutes between "I'll see if I can fix it" and "I fixed it". You're awesome!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #69
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Thanks so much
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #70
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Should I expect the 'updating metadata' part of this to be slow?

I just threw it at a several hundred book test library and it took a while to count (not surprising), but then updating the metadata took a looong time (several times as long as counting took) ...

(Using an integer type custom column)
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #71
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
Should I expect the 'updating metadata' part of this to be slow?

I just threw it at a several hundred book test library and it took a while to count (not surprising), but then updating the metadata took a looong time (several times as long as counting took) ...

(Using an integer type custom column)
It's not just populating the column, I think it's also updating the opf files for each book. So yeah, it can be a little slow. How slow depends on your computer.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #72
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Not particularly slow, no. Doing a hundred books takes less than five seconds to update the database with the results on my machine. The updating is mostly using the same Calibre code as downloading metadata does.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #73
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

I've noticed a huge difference between my two main computers (Win7 6GB updates really fast, Vista32 2GB much slower, taking 4-5 times as long) using the regular current version of calibre and the current version of the plugin.

The portable version is lagging after almost every operation at the moment so it's taking a looooong time. I can't base anything on that with regard to the plugin.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #74
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Not particularly slow, no. Doing a hundred books takes less than five seconds to update the database with the results on my machine. The updating is mostly using the same Calibre code as downloading metadata does.
Be sure to use commit=False when updating the column, then commit at the end. If you don't, then SQLite will *per change* create, write, read, and delete a journal file. This can easily take a second, and is much worse on a NAS.

When we added commit-at-end to bulk metadata edit, changes to a column for 500 or books went from many minutes to a few seconds.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #75
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Charles - as I mentioned above it is Calibre code that is doing the updating, the same code used at the end of downloading metadata. It is the same approach I used for this plugin and Extract ISBN - reusing Calibre's existing code to update a bunch of records by being given some Metadata objects with just the fields desired to be changed set on them (in this case two custom columns).

And that particular code (inside edit_metadata.py) does indeed delay the commit.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin