Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
Rameshsalvi
Banned
Rameshsalvi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any Amazon Kindle users here?

Last edited by issybird; 11-19-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Rameshsalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're seriously asking if there are any Kindle users here - in the Kindle forum?

Kindle are very durable, if treated with a little respect. I've been using them for 10+ years and never had a problem. Use a decent case, and don't throw it around, and you'll be fine.

As far as capacity goes, you can fit several thousand books onto even the smallest Kindle. I really wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-18-2018 at 05:49 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshsalvi View Post
I am not a huge reader but I do find myself sometimes not wanting to read a book during commute because I don’t want others looking at the book I read. Think the Kindle might be useful for me because of this. A few queries:

how durable is a Kindle?

how many books do you guys fit into the kindle?
A. I guess you need to define "Kindle User". Almost everyone here is a "Kindle Owner".
B. In nine years I've had two Kindles break. I've probably owned nine Kindles. One broke because it had mechanical page turn buttons. Mechanical things "break". The other broke because I dropped it and when I grabbed for it I hit it and it flew against a tile over oncrete wall. The screen was cracked.
C. How many books? I have almost 3,000 books on my account and fifteen books on my Kindle. Why would I want 3,000 books on my Kindle? How many I have on my Kindle depends on how long I'll be away from a WiFi hotpot. For me, that's about an hour.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
C. How many books? I have almost 3,000 books on my account and fifteen books on my Kindle. Why would I want 3,000 books on my Kindle?
Different strokes for different folks. I currently have 9228 books on my Oasis 2. Why? Because I choose to. Each to their own.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I currently have 9228 books on my Oasis 2. Why? Because I choose to. Each to their own.
Preach it brother! I have the 32 GB kindle and once I perfect my calibre library I hope to get at least 14k books on there. Just love the idea of having everything I can on there. The only thing that could make me happier than my library is not needing extra software to manage and organize my collection.

I have some freak battery issues, periodically it won't turn on unless I leave it plugged in for a period of time. I'll be reading in the morning with half charge then that evening it won't turn on leading me to freak out...fortunately leaving it plugged in for awhile has always resolved the issue. And I worry taking it in and out of the case has maybe bent it a bit because sometimes I get random screen input though this only seems to be an issue when turning it on. Eventually it fixes itself. But it is annoying when trying to search for a book and it self-clicks on an item on the home page.

Really love my Kindle and can't wait for colored LEDs and hope eventually someone releases an ereader that can integrate the capabilities of calibre. Yeah, there are android devices out... but I don't imagine they are as nice as what we have and they don't seem to have enough RAM for loading my entire library into Calibre Companion which is all I would want it for.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My idol with over 9000 books! My question is how did you load them all. I have almost 7000 and wouldn’t mind loading them all if I can!
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got the 32gig Paperwhite 4 only because that was the only way I could get the 3G version. I think I have about 100 books on it now. My older kindles have about 50 books each. I began to put a bunch of books on this since I have all that space just to see if I like it but I keep forgetting to put more books on it.

I keep my current book and a few books I think I might want to read in the near future and that's really all I care about having on board. My guess is that if I do get a lot of books on the Paperwhite it'll be hard to find anything and I'll end up taking most of them off. But who knows!

I have been piling books onto my 6 gig Nook Glowlight 3 so I'll have a lot of books in one place in case I end up without Wifi in a nursing home in the event that I get old. I'll probably keep doing that. I'm reading my current book on the Nook and the others aren't in the way but if I was looking for a next book it might be a small nightmare. Still, if i have no access to Wifi someday I'll welcome that nightmare.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have several Kindle Keyboards. I started with the second Kindle released, found this one, and just fell in love. I've never broken one, but I have adopted several Kindle with broken screens and damaged motherboards. It was easy to find parts to fix them and easy to install the parts. Batteries are cheap and easy to change.

With help from the gang here, I've installed jailbreaks, screensavers, fonts and other fun stuff. I stay with my Keyboard because it has open, free 3G, and I'm often away from any wifi or other connection. I can get my NYTimes, even check my email.

I keep 50 to 60 books on my main Kindle and usually travel with a second as a backup.

I'm a huge fan of e-readers. I used to obsessively collect books until I had to do a long move. Kindle came into my life at that point!! Yes!!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
My idol with over 9000 books! My question is how did you load them all. I have almost 7000 and wouldn’t mind loading them all if I can!
Here, a whole thread about how Harry did it:

Tips for loading a large library onto a KO2
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
in the past 10+ years, I have had 2 Kindle Keyboards, (cracked both screens) and 3 paperwhites (Cracked 2 screens) In most cases my screens were broken when I was reading in bed, fell asleep and rolled over on the kindle or leaned on it with my elbow, shoulder, hip while getting up. (the last was in a big cargo pocket on a pair of shorts which is where I have carried it in for a couple years. When I squatted quickly, the pant leg/pocket tightened up and bent the corner of the kindle before I realized it.

I have dropped my kindles while in the original Leather cover for the Kindle Keyboards and the Hard plastic covers for the Paperwhite many times. (typically 1-4 feet to floor [carpet, marble, wood, concreete, etc.]) and never had a problem breaking the kindles. The Covers do a very good job for drops.

But uneven pressure on the cover (ie leaning on it, or sitting on it, or stacking something heavy that is not flat) will break the screen even with a cover.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Here, a whole thread about how Harry did it:

Tips for loading a large library onto a KO2
Thanks! I guess I should go learn calibre.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote