Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #4261
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks, OtinG and tubemonkey! Now I have one less reason to talk myself out of buying one.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #4262
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
So Prime Day(s) starts at midnight tonight. I assume that means midnight Seattle, WA time, right?

I sure wish Amazon would make it easier to find the deals, and would have listed all the upcoming ones so you had time to figure out which, if any, you were interested in. But Amazon has never made it easy to find their deals. Personally, I don't consider having to browse through dozens of web pages that take a while to load "easy"...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #4263
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
So Prime Day(s) starts at midnight tonight. I assume that means midnight Seattle, WA time, right?

I sure wish Amazon would make it easier to find the deals, and would have listed all the upcoming ones so you had time to figure out which, if any, you were interested in. But Amazon has never made it easy to find their deals. Personally, I don't consider having to browse through dozens of web pages that take a while to load "easy"...
Yep - midnight PT.

Check out the Prime Day 2020 thread. It's what you're looking for.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #4264
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks, OtinG and tubemonkey! Now I have one less reason to talk myself out of buying one.
You know you want one, so get it. I love mine. It's my most used Echo device.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #4265
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You know you want one, so get it. I love mine. It's my most used Echo device.
I pride myself on my sales resistance. And I figure I'll have another shot on Black Friday anyway.
Advert
Old 10-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #4266
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I pride myself on my sales resistance. And I figure I'll have another shot on Black Friday anyway.
If you get it now, you can get a Blink Mini for $5 as an add-on.

Chances are they'll repeat it again next month.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #4267
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I can live without seeing what my cats are doing in another room. In fact, I prefer not knowing.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #4268
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

But be aware that the Blink Mini doesn’t have an SDcard slot, so it requires a $3/mo cloud account to record. Supposedly they are going to offer an add-on module with an SDcard slot later, but that will cost extra, and might never even become a reality.

The cameras supported by Amazon Alexa and Echos seem to be plagued with cloud requirements. Even my Amcrest cameras which can store video and images locally won’t work with Alexa due to the cloud requirement. No big deal for me since I use them with Amcrest apps on my iThingies and don’t care if they work with Alexa or not.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #4269
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Well, the Echo Show is officially off the table for me on Prime Day. I thought I could trade in a Dot 3, but the Dot 3 isn't eligible for trade-in. I could have sworn that it was, but no. Bother.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #4270
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
But be aware that the Blink Mini doesn’t have an SDcard slot, so it requires a $3/mo cloud account to record. Supposedly they are going to offer an add-on module with an SDcard slot later, but that will cost extra, and might never even become a reality.

The cameras supported by Amazon Alexa and Echos seem to be plagued with cloud requirements. Even my Amcrest cameras which can store video and images locally won’t work with Alexa due to the cloud requirement. No big deal for me since I use them with Amcrest apps on my iThingies and don’t care if they work with Alexa or not.
If I got one, I wouldn't care if it ever recorded. All I'd use it for is to see who is at the front door.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #4271
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Well, the Echo Show is officially off the table for me on Prime Day. I thought I could trade in a Dot 3, but the Dot 3 isn't eligible for trade-in. I could have sworn that it was, but no. Bother.
That's crazy. Maybe they have too many still in stock and they're looking to get rid of them. At $19 each, they're a great deal; especially since you can pair two of them for right and left channel stereo.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #4272
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Just out of curiosity I checked which items I could trade in on a Show 5 and it listed my Dot 2nd Gen and my Echo Plus 2nd Gen, but not my Dot 3rd Gen. Their trade in program is rather odd. I tried to trade in on an Echo in the past and it wouldn’t give me much for what I had to trade in and wouldn’t take at least one item.

Quote:
If I got one, I wouldn't care if it ever recorded. All I'd use it for is to see who is at the front door.
The crime rate in my area is probably higher than in yours. It is pretty much a requirement for me to have a way to record images/video. A few months ago my cams recorded a guy drive up to my neighbor’s house across the street, jump out, cut off the catalytic converter from his van, and drive off. It took literally one minute according to the recording. A catalytic converter is very expensive to replace. The thief used a battery operated cutting device so he was able to slice through the exhaust pipe on both sides of the catalytic converter in just seconds. This occurred in broad daylight with people out and about.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #4273
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

The new Apple HomePod mini looks like the twin of the newEcho Dot 4th generation. I bet it has better sound than the Dot 4 though, but at twice the price it should have. Funny how both companies went with a spherical design.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #4274
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
The new Apple HomePod mini looks like the twin of the newEcho Dot 4th generation. I bet it has better sound than the Dot 4 though, but at twice the price it should have. Funny how both companies went with a spherical design.
I forgot all about Apple's event today. I've been too busy with Prime Day.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #4275
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I forgot all about Apple's event today. I've been too busy with Prime Day.
I didn’t find anything on Amazon I wanted or need that is on sale, at least not yet. I checked all my Wishlist items, and none are on sale. I don’t need, or want, any new Echos, Kindles, FireTVs, etc. I’m being extra frugal this year with the pandemic apparently picking up speed again, at least in my region. The longer this goes on, the more expensive groceries will get. So it is probably good that Amazon doesn’t have anything to temp me with this year!