Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyriddle View Post
i have actually put a book from a kindle onto my literati kobo reader. i was emailed the book I put it into adobe digital editions as an epub then dragged and dropped it to my literati. then hooked up the literati and synced to my computer. Problem is, I cannot send the books from Kobo that I bought to my friend who has the Kindle, we only want to share but her kindle tells her the liscense for the book belongs to me, so what to do? Any ideas?

when you 'buy' an ebook you are not allowed to share. Unless you have two kindles which allows you to share between kindles for a specific time frame (I think)
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
when you 'buy' an ebook you are not allowed to share. Unless you have two kindles which allows you to share between kindles for a specific time frame (I think)
If you have two (or more) Kindles on the same account they can share all Kindlebooks on that account (but not newspapers or magazines).

If they aren't on the same account, books can be lent for 14 days IF the publisher allows it - a lot of books aren't lendable.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Google Apprentice Alf and follow his blog and links.

Once a Kindle book is loaded into Kindle for PC, a Calibre plug-in will do the rest for you. You can then plug your Kobo in and transfer the title direct to the Kobo. Calibre will convert the Kindle ebook sans DRM to ePUB as it transfers it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
stocksa
John
stocksa doesn't litterstocksa doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Was able to convert kindle books and put on my Kobo,but that seems to have stopped with the introduction of APNX files Is there a work-around? (am using 3.7 tools)
stocksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
CaribbeanLover
CaribbeanLover began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
so I've read everyones post and what I did was bought the book from Amazon then converted on calibra then put it on my desk top (saved it) then put it on a memory card and shoved that into my kobo and I can read my book!! Today I said to my husband that I fear I might of have bought the wrong ereader device but now I know I can convert incase the Kobo store does have the book I want (like in this case) I can just go to amazon. The only down fall is you can only get Ebooks from the amazon.com and not the amazon.ca but since our money is at par it didn't effect me this time!
Now off to read my new book (which so happen to be cheaper then the kobo store or chapters)
CaribbeanLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Google alf and DRM and that is one solution.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
beckyatnv
beckyatnv began at the beginning.

is it possible to convert kindle e-books onto my Kobo reader - I have the kindle books on my pc
beckyatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
See the post directly above yours, beckyatnv.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #24
CaribbeanLover
CaribbeanLover began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyatnv View Post
is it possible to convert kindle e-books onto my Kobo reader - I have the kindle books on my pc
I have complete directions on how to convert if you want it?
CaribbeanLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
With the Kobo Touch, all you have to do is break the DRM. It already reads the mobi format, even without changing the extension.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #26
clashcityrocker
clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanLover View Post
Today I said to my husband that I fear I might of have bought the wrong ereader device
That will never be the case. The whole problem was caused by too many people buying a locked down e-reader device and enabling Amazon to control the market.

You are the solution, people like your husband are the problem, early adopters that allow companies like Apple and Amazon to tie of the content market and continue to hold users through propitiatory file formats and content lockin.

Your Kobo will be benefiting from an open EPUB market, where you can get your books from whereever you wish (or whereever is cheapest). The Kindle can just get them from Amazon.... Who will charge what they want...
clashcityrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #27
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Which usually happens to be the same or cheaper.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Which usually happens to be the same or cheaper.
Not in Canada at the moment, it seems. I comparison shop and keep a Db of prices. At various times, it seems that one or the other seller (Kobo or Amazon) may have the edge, but most recently, when there is a difference, Kobo has been pretty consistently cheaper than Amazon. And then there are the discount codes (yum).

With Xmas shopping, things may change.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #29
stevieraej77
stevieraej77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon on Kobo Vox

I got the Kindle Keyboard at a tournament and finally decided I didn't want it. Unfortunatley, I also bought some books off Amazon for my Kindle. Can I get an Amazon application or is there any way I can read my Amazon books on my new Kobo Vox. Please help me!
-Thanks
stevieraej77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #30
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieraej77 View Post
I got the Kindle Keyboard at a tournament and finally decided I didn't want it. Unfortunatley, I also bought some books off Amazon for my Kindle. Can I get an Amazon application or is there any way I can read my Amazon books on my new Kobo Vox. Please help me!
-Thanks
Yes there is. Simply download the Kindle app to your Vox and you can read both Kindle and Kobo books on the same device!

moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2