Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 03:45 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is there an option to transform publishers when downloading metadata?

When using "Add by ISBN" to add records, often I end up with several different variants of what should be the same publisher. (for example, "Harper Collins", "Harper" and "HarperCollins")

I've noticed there is an option to create rules to transform the tags and the author names, but is there a similar feature hidden somewhere in the options for publishers?

Thanks in advance.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
nope, sorry. only tags and authors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO they aren't all variants
HarperColins is a Parent company
Harper is an Imprint of HarperColins
and Harper Colins is just wrongly done

My personal preference is to put the IMPRINT in the publishers column, rather that the Mega Publishing conglomerate .
Usually the Imprint is found on the publishers Title page, or the copyright page

It is also unfortunate that even the publishers can't be consistant.
Baen Books
Baen Publishing Enterprises

Sometimes the imprint breaks it down to Baen SF, Baen Fantasy
Unfortunately, some of the metadata sources are comiled from various user inputs, creating even more variants.

Manual TLC is the only way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is also unfortunate that even the publishers can't be consistant.
Baen Books
Baen Publishing Enterprises
Looking at the 2018 monthly bundles also shows www.baen.com, Baen and Baen Publishing. Plus the oddity of Riverdale, N.Y. : Baen, (year/copyright year). A quick select of any books with Baen and bulk edit the publisher field to make them consistent. I really should cleanup the Baen import folder and just import directly to the Intake folder since I do not purchase eARCs as much as I used to.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I didn't actually realize Harper was an imprint. I thought they just omitted the Collins part.

I have calibre mark all my just-added books as @pending. The rows are marked this eye-searing bright red colour so that I'm more inclined to take care of them quickly.

I've been using calibre to also organize my physical books, and for a lot of the older ones, the user-inputted publishers are really very inconsistent. I occasionally get a few that ARE IN ALL CAPS FOR SOME REASON, or just inconsistencies (e.g. "and" instead of "&", or things like the aforementioned Baen).
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
The Find Duplicatats plugin can find all books with "similar" publishers or authors using several different techniques, and help sorting this out.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote