Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Book Designer Empty Window

Here's a maddening problem that has just cropped up

After running Book Designer successfully for the last couple of weeks, I fired it up again this morning only to run into an empty window and a title bar that said:
...loading Book Designer... or
...loading Last File... and just stay that way.

All the icons and menu commands *seemed* to work --- in that they were not frozen --- but no matter what I would do, the blank text window would just stay blank. The odd thing is that I went to my LastFile directory and it had in it the html file that I had tried to open, as if Book Designer had worked on the file but did not show anything on the screen. The program exited gracefully as well --- as if nothing had choked. But it's like it never fully loaded in the first place.

I've tried various fixes to no avail: uninstalling & reinstalling, removing all instances of Book Designer by hand in the registry, running CrapCleaner and Advanced Windows Care to clean up stray remnants of the program, etc.

The only thing that I've done that I *think* might have something to do with my problem is that yesterday I installed the latest test version of Windows XP SP3 --- version 5503. I had been running SP3 version 3311 without any noticeable problems. This could be a red herring, though...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions of things to try next?

TIA
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I had a like experience a while back. I futzed with it for a few hours to no avail. I then unzipped the last update into the BookDesigner subdirectory and the problem went away.

If that doesn't fix the problem I would uninstall BookDesigner, reinstall the base files, and unzip the last update.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner