Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No idea, really.... And I agree with the picture
Yep, the picture is spot on.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I also have no idea. If I pay for an ebook, I'm pretty good at getting around to reading it. Freebies that maybe sound interesting? I collect them on the maybe, someday premise that I will actually read them.

And on the multiple device thing, I can't even fit them all in my Device listing because I have so many.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not track read vs unread. I just find one I want to read and read it. Sometimes it is new to me and others it is a reread.
Apache
Same here. For the most part, if I start a book and it doesn't grab my interest fairly quickly. I just move on to the next book. Life is too short to struggle through a book just to say that I read it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If I knew how many books I have that are unread, I fear it would overwhelm me. In this situation, ignorance is bliss.

If a book doesn’t pull me in in the first 20 pages or so, I put it aside and start another. I typically have 4-6 different books from different genres going at the same time. Its not unusual for me to put a nonfiction book aside for a month or more before picking it back up. Especially sad or darker books, such as those written by Chinese dissidents.

I won’t waste time slogging through a book I just don’t like. I did it with Gone With the Wind, and promised myself I wouldn’t do it again. I used to feel some sort of guilt for not finishing a book, especially one that most readers seem to like. But no more.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I could get an exact number if I go to my calibre as I tag stuff read and unread and purchased. But I am not on that computer right now so I'd have to guess.
1000 is my guess. I could be off a few 100's.

I don't separate free and paid anymore mentally as I only get books I am interested in reading now. And many of the free were only free for a very short time. I did have a "free" issue in the first few years of owning a kindle, 2008-2010 or so. I picked up anything that was free and looked decent. At some point in 2012 or so, I deleted 1000's of books of my account and from then on, I vetted free the same I do paid. Obviously still a lot of books, but I always had books around me, long before ebooks.

I will get to all of them at some point. If I managed to read one a day, it would only be 3 years. Assuming I don't buy any new ones in the mean time.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #21
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
2500, plus or minus. I grab anything free that looks even potentially interesting, disk space is cheap and it's better to have lots of options than not.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been collecting ebooks for decades; since long before they were called ebooks; since long before there were dedicated ereaders.

It would take some time to count them all.

On my Kindle account I have close to a thousand ebooks, most bought for $2. Some bought at ridiculous prices. And a few that were free.

I have 4 Audible accounts, each with between 500 and 1000 audiobooks. I haven't listened to audiobooks much since I got my Kindle.

I have a couple of sources of sale notifications and when I see a book I think I'll want to read i buy it. I get them faster than I read them and that's okay. I'm pretty fussy about what I buy. They're always books I really expect to read. When I finish a book I have a lot to choose from. Nice situation!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
I've bought 7 ebooks, the rest were all free (public domain or through my Bookbub daily mail)

My "unread" folder currently consists of 1574 books. Another ~100 books are yet to be catalogued and filed properly. 55 books are unread on my Kobo Account.

Total: 1729 unread books
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #24
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Several hundred.

I did go through Calibre a few years ago and deleted all of the freebies I'd gotten that I either had no clue why I'd downloaded or no longer seemed interest in. This included reading a sample, something I rarely did in those early days of digital freebies. That got it down to triple digits.

I've been doing better the last two years not buying entire series because a book catches my eye and I discover it's book 4 or 5 in a series so buy them all. I still have a lot of unread series in my TBR. But I am still usually a read in order type person.

Of course we haven't had a reusable 80% or 90% Kobo coupon in many years so that helps. I try to only buy agency-priced books I intend to read right away otherwise I now wait for a sale. Same with non-agency books.

So my To Buy List gets longer and longer while my TBR shrinks, albeit very slowly since I still do add books.

ETA: I like to go "shopping" in my Calibre library using the Cover Grid view when I am between books or the next book I'd planned to read I find myself not in the mood for. I've found that helps when I get the urge to go on a buying spree.

Last edited by library addict; 10-22-2017 at 05:24 AM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A quick check says that I currently have 8417 ebooks in my Calibre libraries and 29 of them are unread.

I did not count the finished/unread/unfinished in one of my libraries which is for cookbooks. They are stored in Calibre and on the external uSD card on my Aura H2O. I search for recipes and very rarely read them cover to cover. As for my fiction collection, reading speed is what keeps me searching for new ebooks.

At least the ebooks take up less space than the 1800 hardcovers, mostly on shelves and Great Ghu alone knows how many paperbacks in their plastic tubs.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-23-2017 at 12:58 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A quick check says that I currently have 8417 ebooks in my Calibre libraries and 29 of them are unread.

I did not count one of my libraries which is for cookbooks which are in Calibre and on the external uSD card on my Aura H2O. I search for recipes and very rarely read them cover to cover. As for my fiction collection, reading speed is what keeps me searching for new ebooks.
Do I want to ask about that library?

Hey some cookbooks are fun to read.
I can't post the title here but Google Sweet Potato Queens Big ___ Cookbook.
Fabulous recipes and Jill is hilarious.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #27
zakman
Enthusiast
zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019
At least a hundred, probably more.
zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #28
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Hundreds. But I must admit I love having them because there is *never* a time I can say I don't have anything to read. I wont get through them before I die.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #29
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I don't know -- probably in the hundreds, but I have more ebooks and paper books than I could read in my life time. (I am 66.) I did a purge of paper books that I had read and knew I wouldn't re-read in 2008 after I bought my first kindle. I would have had to purge even if I didn't have an ereader, because I had piles on my floor around my sofa and chairs. I used to think it didn't matter how many I had.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #30
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I used to think it didn't matter how many I had.
There is no such thing as too many books...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote