Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
Onyx/Icarus daily use & Upcoming large reader releases

Reason for this post: I misplaced my Pocketbook 903 which I mainly bought for its PDF functions including annotations.
Although centered on the Onyx, I feel that this thread belongs in the brand-neutral discussion.

1. Upcoming Releases
After a bit of reading now, it seems to me that right now might not be such a good idea with all these new releases in the 8+ inch EInk segment:
  • Pocketbook 8" Triton 2: release (EU) summer 2013. (no stylus though)
  • Onyx 9.7" Android reader (apparently much faster): release late 2013?
  • The Sony / Onyx 13.3" reader: release early 2014?

I fear that if I buy an Onyx M92 now (the Icarus Excel just seems more expensive without additional functionality), then I will regret it when Onyx releases a much faster version running on Android for probably not a much higher price. Is that really worth it? Do you think the difference in speed won't be as great as anticipated here? Does the embedded Linux actually have an advantage?

1. Onyx/Icarus experience
Are there M92 or Excel users out there who actually use their device for annotating PDFs? Is it so fast that you regularly use it for that? What about taking notes during lectures?
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
I have onyx M92 and i have started saving my money to buy a new one.

Here are my views on the upcoming readers:
1) Pocketbook color: I am not interested in color reader due to its low contrast; i like pearl display a lot
2) Sony - I was ready to buy it as soon as i heard news about its release.
Its advantages: a) Big screen (though i don't know how mobius screen will compare to pearl screen in terms of contrast, i assume there won't be much difference)
b) Ability to use both stylus and hand
3) New Onyx - A recent development has changed my mind. Onyx launched multitasking very recently. I find it very useful but i don't use it because of full screen refreshes. I get irritated by screen flashes. Plus it is slow when going from one book to other. In the android video we can see that with the special mode on (which is a one bit color mode), the device will perform very fast and without any full screen refreshes.
Sony has this mode too (it is in prs T1), but i don't know how well it will be implemented in the new reader. And we can assume Android will be better overall.
SO even though i want to buy a 13.3 inch reader, i will wait and buy that device which offers better firmware and speed. Screen size matters less to me than firmware.
If by any luck new Onyx will have frontlight, then i am sold.

Regarding Annotating PDFs: yes i regularly use the device to highlight and make notes on PDFs. Taking notes is much easier and faster (the screen doesn't blink/refresh in this case). Highlighting is slow and screen flashes whenever i make a highlight.
Taking notes is reasonably fast but i don't think it can be used during lectures.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
tomaschavez00
Enthusiast
tomaschavez00 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
I use my M92 to anotate everyday.With the last update, the scribble app was fixed and now it works fine: Adding new pages... exporting multipage documents, etc
It's the same when anotating on PDFs

What does the M92 has currently?
- Great reading capability for ebooks and pdfs and more (best in the market)
- Great scribbling app (exproting, background choosing, zoom, etc)
- Good pdf annotating
- Decent Cloud manager app (dropbox, google, storino)

What is missing?
- Physical keyboard host (usb-host)
- Multitasking
- Enhanced scribble (annotating) app so you can add scribbles AND text boxes
- Enhanced cloud managment (so you can AUTOSYNC all files with your cloud in one "click")
- Copy/Paste (always nice to have)
- Enhanced text-to-speech software (so you can ADD languages, in my case: Spanish)

If the current OS (Qt) gets updated AND/OR M92 gets an ANDROID update, then lets see if all this features get implemented.

So my advice: Wait till 2014 to see if M92 gets an update or if not, new devices (M95,M96, 13.3 INCH) do this stuff

IF M92 GETS UPDATED FOR GOOD, THEN GO FOR M92, IT WILL PROBABLY BE CHEAPER!!! (As long as you don't mind NOT HAVING HAND-TOUCH and only stylus touch screen)

Last edited by tomaschavez00; 12-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.
tomaschavez00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Be careful, some options given like "cloud" are for the Artatech 's model (Poland), not the standard model : http://ereader-store.de or Icarus.

For the standard model (and other ?), a patch give the multitasking.

Last edited by Randy11; 12-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
Is Onyx coming out with an 13.3 ereader?? I can't find any information
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Maybe, depending on demand. More likely to see 9.7". Look is sub-forum and on digital-reader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
From the Onyx forum : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithe View Post
Well, ereader-store.de claimed that the device should be available around now -- when I pressed recently for more information, I didn't hear back. And onyx-book.com said that availability would begin in June.
and : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=132 (05-20-2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
He sent me an email. It will be in his shop around next week. So let's wait an see if the device is an option for me.

Last edited by Randy11; 05-21-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote