Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #196
suninmypocket
suninmypocket began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
One of the main Android 6 features was battery optimization. When the device is idle for a period of time it would reduce CPU, network, background services etc.
Question is if this Chinese hardware supports it and if it was implemented.
There seems to be plenty of battery drain in standbye mode. As seen in this recently posted YouTube video https://youtu.be/f1LeURVZw3g
But this will hopefully be fixed by firmware update.
Nice device anyway:-)
suninmypocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #197
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by suninmypocket View Post
There seems to be plenty of battery drain in standbye mode.
Yes, but there is also on the MaxCarta. You should set the timeout "shut down after xx minutes" and the matter is much less noticeable.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #198
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Desk7, com.myscript.nebo looks a paid-for-only app here... Is that the one you meant?
Yes. Until short time ago it was in beta so free. I did'n realize it is now a paid app. I use it on a windows10 2in1 and I really like it!
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #199
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Me three.

According to a user' feedback who has both Sony RP1 and Max2, Max2's display is much better than RP1's. On RP1's screen, grid can be spotted from certain angle. Max2 has none. RP1 is more yellowish than Max2.

From another user's feedback: comparing with Max Carta, Max2's screen is a little bit yellowish but acceptable. He didn't mention the font sharpness between them.

Maybe I should order one?
Another comparison

From left to right: Max Carta, Max2, RP1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cd762412b31bb0516b736aac3d7adab44bede0e5.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	910.8 KB
ID:	160518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209 19-25-09.png
Views:	255
Size:	1,014.6 KB
ID:	160519  

Last edited by cqman; 12-09-2017 at 06:25 AM.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #200
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Another comparison

Yes, the Max2 is more yellowish. Good idea to swap the device to have a better comparison.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #201
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Another comparison

RP1 is noticeably smaller and weighs less than others. What a pitty its android is not available to anyone and has to be hacked.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #202
huseyinkoylu1
Enthusiast
huseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Onyx Boox N96 CML
İ am really curious about Max2 ' font sharpness. Anyone who compare with Kobo Aura One? Really Kobo Aura One has the best screen seems a real BOOK.
huseyinkoylu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:25 AM   #203
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Could Booxtor, or anyone else, kindly test the Max2 with a scanned/image heavy PDF? I guess that is where the quad core vs dual core difference will really be felt. Also, until the Sony device has proper Android support, its really an apples vs oranges comparison. A device with such a versatile screen and strong CPU needs an open, flexible OS.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #204
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
In the chinese review uploaded to youtube by cqman, https://youtu.be/e7Tw6qUr3_g, cqman states that the comic books are around 1GB size. (See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=93)
Pretty heavy PDF... turning pages seems very fast to me (who has no experience at all with ereaders yet).
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #205
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Today I have recorded a detailed video review about Max2 with my new YI 4K camera, but because of some format problems I could not edit it in my video editing software and as is it is too big for upload to Youtube. So I decided to repeat the work and better take some short videos about some special functions and often asked features. I will record and upload them tomorrow.
You'll probably need new codec to use 4k camera with older software.
Any new development in uploading new videos?
Battery life rumours scares me. Any info on that? You have Max2 for a few weeks now.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #206
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
I finally managed to re-record my Max2 review using my old Sanyo (Full HD) camera.
For experiments with 4K videos and codecs no time at the moment.

In this video I am briefly reviewing following features:
- Home screen and android 6
- Google Play
- Library view modes and file search
- Storage organization. File manager
- Neo2 open and reading of different documents
- Navigation: using page turn buttons, click, progress bar, multiple page view, links, TOC - Working with multi document
- Improving of contrast in Neo 2

Annotations:
- Highlighting and comments
- Scribbled annotations:
- Side page annotations (new feature)
- Handwriting with Onyx Note app
Dictionary:
- Dictionary in Neo 2
- Dictionary app
- Browsing experience

A little bit later I am going to record and upload a review about some other features, which I didn't reviewed yet:
- Using Max2 as a Monitor
- Export of annotations
- installing and using of good TTS apps
- Installation of Stardict dictionaries
- Adjustment and reading of complicated documents (like multicolumn, multi page per page etc.)
- Using Max 2 for music scores (sheet music) reading with a Bluetooth pedal

I am also collecting requests here in forum (like testing of particular apps or showing how Max2 handles heavy scanned PDFs and will record it tomorrow.

Last edited by Booxtor; 12-11-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #207
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Thanks Booxtor !
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #208
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
It's amazingly fast, altough I don't understand why its dictionary is so slow to show on its reader app.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #209
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Спасибо for the video, Booxtor! The tablet is looking great and stylus quite responsive. I'm looking forward to your next video—especially excited to see some handwriting recognition input (Google Handwriting Input or MyScript Stylus).
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #210
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
It's amazingly fast, altough I don't understand why its dictionary is so slow to show on its reader app.
The dictionary is actually working very fast. Of some reason if you open it first time in a document it takes those 2 seconds to load first translation. Afterwards it works like a flash in this document..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote