Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #166
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
i noticed some chinese vendors are selling the Max2 with a bunch of accessories. i think the main one that stands out is the boox stand that can hold up your Max2 for reading, monitor mode, etc.

booxtor -- will you be offering the stand on your site at all, whether it be included with Max2 preorders, or as an add on?
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #167
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Thanks you Booxtor ! PLEASE, don't forget to compare a Carta screen with and without a touch screen for a text - big zoom. I would see if the touch screen reduce the impression of reading on a paper book.
Hi,

I already uploaded a short comparison. Made it especially for you
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #168
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
i noticed some chinese vendors are selling the Max2 with a bunch of accessories. i think the main one that stands out is the boox stand that can hold up your Max2 for reading, monitor mode, etc.

booxtor -- will you be offering the stand on your site at all, whether it be included with Max2 preorders, or as an add on?
Yes, we have ordered some additional accessories like replacement stylus, fast (wall) charger, leather covers and display stands . Those accessories will be offered later in our store. However they are not really necessary in standard scope of delivery. E.g the stand will be sold for approximately 30EUR and on Ebay you can find something similar to much lower price
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #169
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
If you want me to record something special, please write your wishes here.
There was a concern regarding battery leak/fast discharge in standby mode...

It would be great to see the sheet music scanned pdf flipped/turned by finger.

To see working access to Google Play.

Thank you.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #170
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I already uploaded a short comparison.
That's great. You mentioned that the speed difference does not look huge. That will actually depend from software and situation. You are judging sheer responsiveness on an embedded application - I do not expect that as a secondary focus, for sure, but there are many other situations.

Anyway, what you showed at first file openings, show a transition time of 0.67s for the OBMC2P and of 1.67s for the MaxCarta. That's 2.5 times as fast. So my theoretical tentative calculations stand ; )

EDIT: ok, I realize I counted the animation times in - I counted the whole transition. Without those unduly included constant times, the speed proportion becomes roughly 3x - as expected. I hope I have not committed any other gross ingenuity.

The difference does not look huge because those times can be considered perceptually small already.

EDIT: that is a special case where parallelism in processing is not used: a single core opens the application and renders the first page. Consider, for example, caching the pre-emptive renderings of nearby pages, and when you will (for example) fast-page-flip a book to find some wanted page, the perceived speed proportion should become much more than that 2.5x (or 3x)...

Now, I am not saying that time will be critical, opening relatively small documents, but in other cases...

Last edited by mdp; 12-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #171
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, I already uploaded a short comparison.
Sorry, slightly off-topic on this session, and a minor note, but it was my first thought after checking the video:
you should encourage the developers to try and remove the animations from the system. Your video shows a visible fade-out and fade-in in both devices, for example, and I would support other users in saying that EPD displays and animations are not the best marriage. Removing animations also enhances the perception of speed.

Last edited by mdp; 12-06-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #172
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Looks like the Max 2 has more refreshes going on from the movements on a zoomed document. Hopefully Onyx can make it so it's not constantly doing the full-screen refreshes.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #173
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
@Booxtor,

Thanks for doing the comparison video. The Max2 looks great so far. Here are a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

* Could you install Google Handwriting Input and show us how that works? It would be great if the device could be used to type without the need for on-screen or external keyboard, like the old Palm devices.

* Is there a pressure-sensitive sketching app from Onyx? If not, could you install something like PaperOne and try sketching with a pencil on A2 mode? I'm curious how the device performs in a pressure-sensitive app where there are subtle shades of grey.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #174
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Hi,

I already uploaded a short comparison. Made it especially for you
Thanks for review!
Could you install Nebo app and try it? If it runs fluently it will be great!
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #175
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Thanks for review!
Yes, please.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #176
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMeAndrey View Post
It would be great if the device could be used to type without the need for on-screen or external keyboard, like the old Palm devices.
In that case, Booxtor, you could also directly try Graffiti, or com.access_company.graffiti_pro: the successor of the original Palm writing system from Jeff Hawkins. On "normal" Android devices, Graffiti is all I use, LOL! On the legacy Onyx devices, I use "Hacker's Keyboard" when I am not using BlueTooth - since already Graffiti is uncomfortable on them. Of course, to try it you should check how to write (move the pen upwards outside the virtual keyboard area to get the help), if too much time passed from your last Palm.

But of course, I blindly fully support the products KindleMeAndrey mentioned: nowadays people are not used to basic discipline such as "learn this specific optimized alphabet", the youngsters.

Last edited by mdp; 12-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #177
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Desk7, com.myscript.nebo looks a paid-for-only app here... Is that the one you meant?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #178
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Hi,
As you know, Booxtor, I call as priorities
Kingsoft Office:
http://www.apkhere.com/down/cn.wps.m...eng_5.9.1_free
EDIT: the last version of Kingsoft (which ended with the "series 5" and become WPS starting with the "series 6") that can be found on apkhere is 5.9.1, not 5.1.2 (five dot one dot two) as previously stated by mistake. The last version I know of of the original Kingsoft is 5.12 (five dot twelve), I do not know where version 5.12 can be retrieved at the moment, since the website of Kingsoft/WPS broke the link they once provided.

, but in second place also its currently developed successor, WPS Office
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ps.moffice_eng

, and we also found a potential very good alternative in TextMaker Mobile Free - but unfortunately, on the MaxCarta the "Load document" function did not work. It is worth checking if the issue is not there on the OBMC2P
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...textmakertrial

Last edited by mdp; 12-15-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #179
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
E.g the stand will be sold for approximately 30EUR and on Ebay you can find something similar to much lower price
Nice link but I think with that it's not possible to set up the tablet vertically.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #180
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox Max2 pro
Quote:
Some information concerning questions about Max2 recently discussed in this thread:
1. The stylus is pressure sensitive. However this feature is not supported in Onyx writing software yet. But don't worry, it will be supported soon, though. Hardware is already prepared for this function.

2. Onyx uses in Max2 Wacom EMR digitizer/stylus technology. Writing in Onyx native apps is very exact and fast. We will try to support this writing speed also in third party apps, where active stylus control is supported.

3. One Note. Our dev team is also working on solution to allow same writing experience in OneNote as we have it in Onyx native apps. Ignore those videos with huge stylus latency in OneNote. It is one of our priority tasks and there is already some remarkable success.

Currently I am taking some short videos about particular features of Max2. If you want me to record something special, please write your wishes here.
Hi,

I would be grateful to you if you could test this writing app :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uslabs.writeqt

I used to install it on my Onyx Boox Max (purchased at ereader.store), it runs well, but with a slight lag : the hand witing appears with a short delay, 1 - 1,5 seconds at most.

I would like to know if the onyx boox max2 pro, with its more powerful cpu and different stylus technology, does better.

This app handles pressure and performs well with a samsung note pro 12.2, which is (according to other posts) only 15-20% more powerful than the obmc2p and has the same wacom technology.

Last edited by deb2016; 12-06-2017 at 04:49 PM.
deb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote