Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GoSharks: You get extra points for that Serenity quote ^^.

Actually, we got @pghaworth's PW2 back up & running, because I'm sneaky like that . (It's on that same device that the multiple WIP iterations were run and tested ). No I'm just trying to figure out why the same trick hasn't completely taken on @GoShark's device... ^^.
Oh, cool. Didn't realize, I thought it was impossible to get anything to run outside of the "framework" user, which made it impossible to install stuff to the hidden system partition. You have also said you cannot update the bridge.

So that's good news. Although I didn't see anything in public about it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #32
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
We need more guinea pigs.
At least nothing catastrophic should happen to these ones. (Sorry, @pghaworth, for your now-less-than-completely-useful PW2. But it was for a noble cause. )
I gave it happily for that noble cause and I would do it again.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #33
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Although I didn't see anything in public about it.
That may have been a plan.

ETA - I did wonder why you thought it was "less-than-completely-useful". Other than that evil update everything works great.

Last edited by pghaworth; 11-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
That may have been a plan.
I figured as much.
Just means I wasn't aware yours was fixed, that's all.

Quote:
I gave it happily for that noble cause and I would do it again.
Sure, just make sure everything runs smoothly, like you tried last time, but this time using the updated toolbox (JB1.13, KUAL2.5, etc.)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #35
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Sure, just make sure everything runs smoothly, like you tried last time, but this time using the updated toolbox (JB1.13, KUAL2.5, etc.)
Yeah. I downloaded everything today. Will take care of it and my other one tomorrow or tonight.

Any reason to do it all to my PW1, too? I'm under the impression that since it's old and lab126 no longer cares about it that it's safe.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Yeah. I downloaded everything today. Will take care of it and my other one tomorrow or tonight.

Any reason to do it all to my PW1, too? I'm under the impression that since it's old and lab126 no longer cares about it that it's safe.
PW1 doesn't have fw5.6.1 so yeah. It's safe. The latest firmware for it has been out and "working" for a while. That being said, you should JB because of the usefulness, not the opportunity to test.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #37
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
PW1 doesn't have fw5.6.1 so yeah. It's safe. The latest firmware for it has been out and "working" for a while. That being said, you should JB because of the usefulness, not the opportunity to test.
Test/JB=Enjoyment=Pleasure=Life. It's already jb. Just wondering if I should update it to the latest. Can't really hurt if I do, right?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Test/JB=Enjoyment=Pleasure=Life. It's already jb. Just wondering if I should update it to the latest. Can't really hurt if I do, right?
Actually, on my Kindle Touch the latest JB, mrinstaller, and KUAL 2.5 fail totally to install packages, because "cannot remount rootfs RW, skipping".

NiLuJe, you might want to look into that...
Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: On which FW version? Does it still happen after a full restart of the device?

(That definitely shouldn't happen, especially since I do most of my testing on a Touch).

EDIT: Also, what do you have installed and running at the moment? If you have shell access, what do /proc/mounts & /etc/mtab look like?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-27-2014 at 07:28 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

fw5.3.7 (I have not upgraded to 5.3.7.2 simply because it wasn't worth the bother).

I am trying the reboot, in the meantime I have SS, python, usbnetwork, rescue pack, and that's about it. I decided to do general upgrades.

BTW, should there be leftovers in the staging directory?
Attached Files
File Type: zip mounts-plus-mtab.zip (1.2 KB, 760 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yep, one by one they all get destroyed.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eschwartz: Yep, the staging directory not being cleared on error is a bug, will fix .

And, yep, the mntroot issue is also a bug (you have AcxE installed, I haven't, my check was too dumb to take that into account).

In the meantime, do restart without running MRPI, because your rootfs is currently rw!

Il'l fix that when I get back later this evening, thanks .
Old 11-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #43
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@NiLuJe: Couple of questions

1)Is it safe to put ALL my various .bin files to be installed in one go: RP & CRP, USBNetwork, SS, fonts, python, margins/fonts sizes hack, AcxE. If/when I decide to update to latest fw....

2) Should I disable condensed font override and FreeType override before updating fonts hack?

3) My PW1 with fw 5.4.4 [I'm waiting to see if PW1 will get on more final fw update because I'm to lazy to redo editing of jar files to use my custom font sizes, so still haven't updated to fw 5.4.4.2] is already jailbroken (snapshots version of jb that preserved MKK). How do I go about updating it to this newest version? Just drop the update bridge bin or redo whole jailbreak?

4) Should I update to RP & CRP found in your snapshots thread? Before updating the jailbreak...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@shamanNS:

1/ Everything except AcxE, which currently breaks a key bit of logic (cf. previous message). I'll fix that later this evening. The margins hack is safe, the UI is completely down when MRPI runs.

2/ Nope, no need.

3/ Bridge, then official update. Or jailbreak, then official update. Same thing . The K5 JB used to be faster than installing the bridge (no updater reboot) , but it's less so w/ MRPI .

4/ Not necessarily, the bridge install will pickup the currently installed one if it exists.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #45
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
I am trying the reboot, in the meantime I have SS, python, usbnetwork, rescue pack, and that's about it. I decided to do general upgrades.
Apart from JB and MKK, which one of the following:

Rescue pack
Coward Rescue pack
SS
python
usbnetwork

Will survive firmware upgrade and won't require to be reapplied through mrinstaller after upgrade to latest fw?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote