Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
B&N phishing

I just opened an email claiming to be from B&N indicating a change of password has occurred, etc. The typical false negative (or is it positive) setup, since I obviously didn't reset my password. I can't even remember it!

So beware this type scam. I called B&N about it but they didn't seem to care. Go figure.

We sent this message because you contacted Barnes & Noble about your password.

To reset your password, please click [here].

To ensure the security of your account, we require you to reset your account password. The link is active for 24 hours.

To protect your account, we have removed the payment methods stored with your account.

Additionally, do not reply to this email or forward it to someone else. Replies to this email will automatically be deleted from our system and you will not receive a response.

I did a quick search here but didn't see anything obvious about a similar scam. So beware.

Edit: BTW, here's a legit posting from B&N after I reset my password.
Your Barnes & Noble account information was changed within the past hour. If you did not request a change to your account, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) between 8am-11pm ET Monday-Friday or 9am-11pm ET Saturday-Sunday (International Customers call 201-559-3882). A customer service representative will review the situation with you.

To help protect your account's security, please do not reply to this email or forward it to a third party. Replies to this email will be automatically deleted from our system and you will not receive a response.

If you did make changes to your account information, no action on your part is necessary. This notice was only sent to ensure the safety and security of your account.

Last edited by speedlever; 01-03-2019 at 04:00 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I get those sorts of letters all the time. Allegedly from Amazon, Google, PayPal, even from Apple (I've never had an account with Apple), etc.

Naturally I ignore them.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Hopefully people are smart enough to recognize the signs of a phishing/scam attempt. But history seems to prove otherwise!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
speedlever
Fanatic

The phishing attempt I posted above was 3 days after this one (which even includes a phone number to call):

This is a notification that the password associated with your Barnes & Noble account was changed.

If you did make this change, no action on your part is necessary. We sent this notice only to ensure the safety and security of your account.

If you have not changed the information associated with your account within the last 24 hours, please call 1-877-379-0036 immediately. A Sales Audit Analyst will assist you.

To help protect your account's security, please do not reply to this email or forward it to a third party. Replies to this email will automatically be deleted from our system and you will not receive a response.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I called B&N about it but they didn't seem to care. Go figure.
What would you expect B&N to do? As has been said, these scams are a dime a dozen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
speedlever
Fanatic

Some fraud departments like to have the email forwarded to them. I thought they might as well. No big deal.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Some fraud departments like to have the email forwarded to them. I thought they might as well. No big deal.
B&N's fraud dept has been outsourced - it now works three cubicles down from the scammer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I use Thunderbird as my email client and have a pretty extensive system of folders and sub-folders set up for incoming email. Incoming email is sorted by the originating address. I've never had a Scam email successfully navigate the system. So, if I have an email from Apple, but it's in my top level folder and not in the Apple sub-folder, I'm immediately suspicious.

It's not failsafe, but it works pretty well.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I always pay attention to the URL of the link (shows on the status bar of Firefox) when you hover over it.
My email client is an antique, but it is not susceptible to the Hidden Pixel exploit (if nothing else, it shows (IP) you viewed the message)' It also shows the link, BUT also allows me to view all headers (you can usually spot a spoof in there)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I use Thunderbird as my email client and have a pretty extensive system of folders and sub-folders set up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I always pay attention to the URL of the link (shows on the status bar of Firefox) when you hover over it...
I just don't follow links in email. Period. Simple.

If B&N (or Amazon, eBay or whoever) thinks there's some serious problem on my account, odds are that a visit to the B&N (or Amazon, eBay or whoever) website that I already have bookmarked ought to give me the same message.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
speedlever
Fanatic

I will occasionally follow a link in an email... especially when I'm expecting it such as if resetting a password on a site. But not a random email link.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I will occasionally follow a link in an email... especially when I'm expecting it such as if resetting a password on a site. But not a random email link.
Well sure, if the email is a follow-up to an action I took.

I mean never open a link in a 'your account was hacked!!!!@@' email.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 AM   #13
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I have been using Mailwasher pro for several years.

It is a program that goes between the mail sender and your email program.
You can setup several advanced rules or just use common sense to discard mails you don't want to appear in your email client.

Highly recommended.

https://www.mailwasher.net/
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote