Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
ElektroDragon
ElektroDragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Question Dimmest Kobo?

Which Kobo out of all the models can get THE dimmest in the dark? My Glo HD still looks bright blue in the dark on 1% to me. Much too bright. A review said the Forma can get dimmer than the Aura One? True? Is that the dimmest, or do I need to go back to the Kindles and struggle with EPUB? Thanks!
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Which Kobo out of all the models can get THE dimmest in the dark? My Glo HD still looks bright blue in the dark on 1% to me. Much too bright. A review said the Forma can get dimmer than the Aura One? True? Is that the dimmest, or do I need to go back to the Kindles and struggle with EPUB? Thanks!
Wow, there must be some manufacture differences because my Glo HD is very dim at 1%, so much that I can barely make out the (admittedly small) text. I usually keep it at 2-3% when I'm reading in bed. Or different batches maybe?
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Forma on left vs KA1 right. Both at 1% with 0% natural light setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forma vs KA1.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	168327  
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
H202

Although, I've only ever compared the first model released, there's a 2nd generation.. (H20 2 2nd.. gah, who does that?!?) The lighting is noticeably subdued compared to other Kobo models. Though any model with comfortlight will probably do a good job..being able to shift the colour temperature away from the blue makes a big difference in the dark, reglardless of brightness.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
any model with comfortlight will probably do a good job..being able to shift the colour temperature away from the blue makes a big difference in the dark, reglardless of brightness.
i noticed forma's comfortlight is more comfortable than aura one's comfortlight, probably due to aura one's reddish tint, even forma's screen has a lower contrast ratio than aura one.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #6
ElektroDragon

Thank you all for the replies, especially robko for the pics. WOW what a difference.... results like that are exactly why I'm asking.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
ElektroDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
H202

Although, I've only ever compared the first model released, there's a 2nd generation.. (H20 2 2nd.. gah, who does that?!?) The lighting is noticeably subdued compared to other Kobo models. Though any model with comfortlight will probably do a good job..being able to shift the colour temperature away from the blue makes a big difference in the dark, reglardless of brightness.
Have you compared H202 against Forma though? That pic above is insane!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #8
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

For what it's worth, here is my H2O2 with the light at 1%. The first image shows the "natural light" on at about 15%, the 2nd shows it off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dim1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	168335   Click image for larger version

Name:	dim2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	891.3 KB
ID:	168336  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Dimmest Kobo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Wow, there must be some manufacture differences because my Glo HD is very dim at 1%, so much that I can barely make out the (admittedly small) text. I usually keep it at 2-3% when I'm reading in bed. Or different batches maybe?

There is more variation in human eye sensitivity than difference in overall LED brightness per device model. The Glo HD _is_ extremely bright at 1% compared to the newer models. It was too bright for me in darker rooms (let alone complete darkness) as well.

Robko’s picture is a good way to compare _relative_ brightness, but bare in mind that the camera will have adjusted its light sensitivity to optimise picture quality. Absolute brightness will be different to the eye. The other pictures by Stuartjmz, while kind, aren’t very useful for comparison as the camera’s light sensitivity will have adjusted differently for each individual picture...
...unless of course Robko and/or Stuartjmz anticipated for this and switched auto-adjust off... but I would’ve expected them to mention that if they had.

Having said that, there are also other reports on this forum somewhere regarding brightness. From memory I think Jackie_w confirmed that her Forma at 1% brightness with white light was brighter than her Clara HD with the same settings, _but_ the Forma at 1% brightness with orange light was significantly less bright than the Clara with the same settings...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #10
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
The other pictures by Stuartjmz, while kind, aren’t very useful for comparison as the camera’s light sensitivity will have adjusted differently for each individual picture...
hence the opening caveat
Old 12-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Dimmest Kobo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
hence the opening caveat

Ah yes I see I didn’t interpret it the way you meant it

Quote:

Having said that, there are also other reports on this forum somewhere regarding brightness.

Here’s what I wrote after receiving my Clara, comparing to the Glo:

Quote:
[...] the light is soooooo much less bright (duller?) than the Comfortlight on the Glo. Even in full blue-hue. With the red lighting, 1% is too dark for me to read when there is still a small light on in a dark room! Yay! This makes me very happy, as I have very sensitive eyes and 1% brightness on my Glo was still to bright to read even with a light on in a dark room.
I’m not quite sure if I agree any more with the Clara’s 1% not being bright enough... it was more a matter of getting used to the colour and getting right reading settings. But still, the rest is true

So now you have some sort or relative scale, comparing Glo to Clara to Forma to KA1

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 12-14-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
@ElektroDragon, also note that there is a night-mode inverse-video hack that works on all Kobo models (you need the right version of the hack, though). See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212162

And here for the latest version for current Kobos (Clara HD, and I believe the Forma):

https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote