Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #241
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
The Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 is on sale for $20 off this week at Kobo Canada, BestBuy Canada & Chapters-Indigo.
So, I had to look and at about US$135 if ordered from Chapters seemed quite the deal, even with shipping. But as a result I looked at US Kobo and it's also $20 off there as well as Walmart with free shipping. If my memory is correct, at CA$25 to ship from Chapters to the US the price is almost a wash and the convenience of being able to return to Walmart probably compensates for that. No store pickup, though.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #242
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I must be missing something - why wouldn't I want to buy the same product at a lower price at Walmart?
There is a long list.

There is a book about Walmart (I haven't read it) called something like, The High Cost of Low Prices. It probably expresses many of the things that I've thought. If you want to know all of my beefs against them, I can work up a list of most of them rather quickly. But probably I'd need to put it in another forum, especially if it involved a conversation. It's okay with me.

Price is not everything.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #243
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Disclaimer: Apple products are not my forte.

Target currently has an Apple Sale going on. My local ad shows four products in the sale.

Let me mention just one. It's the Apple iPad 9.7" Wi-Fi Only (2018 Model, 6th Generation). I don't know if this is a good deal or not (refer to paragraph #1--I'm just trying to be helpful, okay?)--
Yes it's a good deal. The 5th generation is $329, and the difference is the 6th generation provides support for the Apple Pencil (which costs an additional $100-120). So if any old stylus will do, for $80 less go with the 6th generation. If you have a Target card, they discount the price by 5% (which when combined with the lower cost, just might cover the cost of that pencil thingy if you have to have it).
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #244
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Yes it's a good deal. The 5th generation is $329, and the difference is the 6th generation provides support for the Apple Pencil (which costs an additional $100-120). So if any old stylus will do, for $80 less go with the 6th generation. If you have a Target card, they discount the price by 5% (which when combined with the lower cost, just might cover the cost of that pencil thingy if you have to have it).
Thanks for your validation. I just don't know anything about those products. I have a 1st generation Kindle reader, and that's it. I don't even know where it is at in my house. I've been perfectly happy reading ebooks on my smartphone.

I shop at Target and knew of their own, exclusive "Red" Card (credit card), but I forgot to bring that up. At the price of stuff like that above, the savings is more than pocket change.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #245
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Just got a notice thru the Nook app that the Nook 7" tablet, the 8gb version, is on sale for $29.99 online only thru 3/18. Verified it on the website as well.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 AM   #246
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Just got a notice thru the Nook app that the Nook 7" tablet, the 8gb version, is on sale for $29.99 online only thru 3/18. Verified it on the website as well.
Is it worth $29? How does it compare to a Fire?
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #247
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Amazon currently has the Fire 7 for $34.99 for 8 gig and $54.99 for 16 gig. Decent device, you can add additional storage. I've been running Calibre Companion on it for about 3,000 books; Mom has an easier time using that to read synopsis of books than my laptop.
If you use larger fonts, the Fire 8 is a better choice.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #248
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It's not unusual for a brand to control prices this way, Jockey and Levi's do the same thing.
So does Hanes. I bought some T-shirts years ago when my daughter wanted to try Tie-Dying. I thought, "Hanes, they're a good brand". Maybe so, but not "Hanes from WalMart". Those were the thinnest, cheapest, poorest quality, rip-off T-shirts I have ever purchased. WalMart is not the only big retailer that does this, but they are the worst. You always have to view sale items with suspicion when the ads say "Exclusive to XYZ store", "Special purchase", "Only at ABC store". These are clear tip-offs that you are getting a non-standard product (and it may even have the same model number - I don't know how they get by with that deception). I have never seen one of these "exclusive to..." specials be because they wanted to increase the value to the customer or add desirable features. They are always to make something cheaper to draw you in, or make it more profitable for the store. Buyer beware!

I don't think WalMart even advertises "Exclusive to WalMart". They just silently sell the cheaper version pretending that it is as good as the original, and riding on the coattails and brand name of the original version. Do your due diligence before purchasing an expensive item at WalMart. Or from Harbor Freight for that matter. Realize that you may not be getting the quality that you think you are, but if your needs can be met with the cheaper version, and the price is appealing, why not?

This is one reason why I would research heavily before buying one of those Kobo eReaders from WalMart. Is it really the Kobo you think you are getting? Or a cheapened version? Maybe it's the standard model, but didn't quite meet the quality inspection minimum levels as it came off the manufacturing line, and is now what most manufacturers might call a "second", but sold at WalMart without mention of that. Model numbers/names may not tell you the complete story. It's probably best to just assume for everything that there is an "Item XYZ, standard quality" and an "Item XYZ, WalMart quality", and make your buying decision with that in mind.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #249
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Got an email this morning saying that Woot has brand new Voyages available.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...r-brand-new-14

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #250
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Got an email this morning saying that Woot has brand new Voyages available.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...r-brand-new-14
I did buy one of those Voyages which were European models. I had to have Customer Service register it, but the 3g works great!

Woot has a special for Prime members for previous generation Paperwhite for $69.99 free ship. These are NEW, not refurbished. Looks like they only have black left. Perfect for someone who just broke their Paperwhite and do not want the newest one or have $100.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...3880_403553220

Last edited by Tarana; 04-07-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #251
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Spotify Canada -- Free Google Home Mini -- exp 09 May

Offer available to new and existing paid Premium subscribers. Trial users not eligible.

They offered this to US subscribers last December. I took advantage of that offer as an existing customer and snagged a free Home Mini that gets very little use. Echo Dot 3's are better devices.

Spotify Premium now includes a Google Home Mini
Quote:
The world’s most popular music service is available for a limited time with a small-yet-mighty smart speaker. Just $9.99 CAD/month.

GET STARTED

Premium for $9.99 CAD/mo. One device redemption code per account. CA only. Shipping & handling by Google: a Google account and Google-approved form of payment required to redeem a device. Offer available until May 9, 2019, or while supplies last. Devices must be redeemed by May 31, 2019. Trial users not eligible. Terms apply.
Quote:
Already have Premium for $9.99 CAD?

Get your Google Home Mini

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-22-2019 at 02:18 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #252
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo Canada has the Clara HD on sale for $119 ($20 off.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #253
Tarana
Wizard

Woot.com has Echo Plus (1st gen) available for $69.99. A good deal if you don't already have an Echo. In addition to bluetooth, this unit also has the option for you to plug your sound devices with a 3.5 mm plug. Does not have the hub (that's in 2nd gen).
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/echo...sell_dly_wobtn
Old 08-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #254
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Best Buy is having a three day sale on a variety of Amazon devices. Kindle Oasis 8 GB for $174.99 caught my eye. To be clear, this is the previous generation NOT the one just released. I believe that is the best price I've ever seen on an Oasis.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #255
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Kindle Paperwhite – Now Waterproof with 2x the Storage – Includes Special Offers - $89.99 ($40, 31% off)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXG6C9W
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote