Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Upgraded Clara HD to 256GB SD Card

This morning I upgraded the 8Gb SD card to a 256Gig card. The new card is a Class 10 SDXC one.

I used Arch Linux, dd, GParted. The whole process took about 40 minutes.

1. Use `dd` to create an image of the card: dd if=/dev/sda of=~/kobo-clara-had.img bs=4M
2. Use `dd` to image the file to a new 256GB card: dd if=~/kobo-clara-had.img of=/dev/sda bs=4M
3. Use GParted to resize the /dev/sda3 partition
4. Reinsert the SD card into the Clara
5. Boot, it will show there is an error, and choose "Factory restore"
6. Re-setup, and login, and it's ready to use. During this step it also downloaded an update from the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I replaced mine with a 32gig. Not because I needed the extra space but I wanted to store the original SD card in a safe place.

64gig replacement being routinely done by users in this forum and I think it is the most cost effective size. The hardware is capable up to 128gig in theory.
I am pretty sure that as long as the card is SDXC it will work in the Clara HD, even if it's the 400GB card I almost bought.

Warning: If you plan on using this method please ensure that you are using the correct device ID. Mine was `/dev/sda` but yours could be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0756.jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	168383   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0755.jpg
Views:	1607
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	168384  

Last edited by supermighty; 12-15-2018 at 10:08 AM.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
I tried the same just because I had one laying around, it's a 256GB Sandisk

I think I posted it in the wrong place though:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313473
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I've got 128 GB in my Kobo Glo HD and Clara HD. I thought about installing 256 GB SD cards in them, but they're only about half full now. I don't know if I'll ever fill out the 128 GB SD cards, but I hope the 256 GB will be down to the $30 range when I do. I see Samsung 256GB SD cards are already down to $45 at Amazon.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
256GB is huge. I don't plan on filling it anytime soon. I got it for the ease of mind to know I wouldn't run out of space
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
Hi. I upgraded the 8Gb SD card to a 32Gig card. The new card is a Class 10 SDHC one.

In 45 minutes the entire process has been completed. Thanks everybody for this information.
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
doki43
Enthusiast
doki43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelocotonto View Post
Hi. I upgraded the 8Gb SD card to a 32Gig card. The new card is a Class 10 SDHC one.

In 45 minutes the entire process has been completed. Thanks everybody for this information.
Was the device faster after upgrading the SD card?
doki43 is offline   Reply With Quote