Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.11.11982

Kobo Firmware 4.11.11982

Kobo firmware 4.11.11982 has been released. As of November 12, 2018, it has been released to the Kobo Forma. It has not been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, and the Kobo Clara HD. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This firmware should be installable on any device, but there may be issues on the KA1.

Patches

Changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just heard back from Kobo. The only change in this is "a small pin lock fix." Nothing else has changed. From that, if you are on 4.11.11980 and don't use the pin lock, don't worry about updating. If you do use the pin lock, maybe it is worthwhile.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-19-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No info about the changes?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Not yet. I'll say what I find (if anything) when I release the patches.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
gtim108
Enthusiast
gtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Or I'm imagining stuff or the infamous "the wedge-side light issue" was fixed for me after upgrading to this version.

Last edited by gtim108; 11-12-2018 at 02:51 PM.
gtim108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Will the patches include the new ones you've been so wonderful to make for us?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Claude_C
Fanatic
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
This firmware should be installable on any device.

My wife has the first Kobo Aura. Still on 4.8.x

Would it be safe to install the generic firmware meant for Mark 7 units?
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtim108 View Post
Or I'm imagining stuff or the infamous "the wedge-side light issue" was fixed for me after upgrading to this version.
Well, my imagination may be playing tricks too. I still have the light issue down the button side, but the gradient issue appears less patchy to me. It's still brighter on the side opposite from the buttons, but it now seems to get there in a more even way as one looks across the screen. The "page" looks cleaner, in effect. Maybe I'm just "seeing things" - imagining an improvement, but in this instance I'm okay with that!
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Would it be safe to install the generic firmware meant for Mark 7 units?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Will the patches include the new ones you've been so wonderful to make for us?
Of course! I use most of them myself too. I'm already done finding the addresses, and when I get back to a computer later today, I'll do the the replacements and release the patches
Old 11-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Claude_C
Fanatic
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Yes.

Even if the Aura is a Mark 5 ?

I wouldn't want to brick her ereader...

You know, divorce lawyer are not cheap.

EDIT : Just upgraded it. It works fine. Thanks.

Last edited by Claude_C; 11-12-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Aura Ed 2 is a Mark 6 and I have it running this firmware. Anyway, nothing comes with a security stamp, neither the original FW through WIFI.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't know anything about this firmware, but it might not be intended for all. My Firma which is running 4.11.11980, doesn't get offered this 4.11.11982. But, testing the updates, only Forma's with an affiliate of "rakutenbooks" running 4.11.11980 will be offered 4.11.11982. Forma's running firmware from before 4.11.11980 will be offered 4.11.11982.

My take on this is that the change is something specific to the Japanese market or language. It is probably not considered dangerous to others but, not important enough to force an update on other users.

I have asked Kobo about it. I'll report when I get anything that I can share.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know anything about this firmware, but it might not be intended for all. My Firma which is running 4.11.11980, doesn't get offered this 4.11.11982. But, testing the updates, only Forma's with an affiliate of "rakutenbooks" running 4.11.11980 will be offered 4.11.11982. Forma's running firmware from before 4.11.11980 will be offered 4.11.11982.

My take on this is that the change is something specific to the Japanese market or language. It is probably not considered dangerous to others but, not important enough to force an update on other users.

I have asked Kobo about it. I'll report when I get anything that I can share.
I beg to differ. See my screenshot below. It seems to be available to all affiliates, and has rolled out faster than the previous version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	affdev20181112.png
Views:	415
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	167666  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #14
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
I beg to differ. See my screenshot below. It seems to be available to all affiliates, and has rolled out faster than the previous version.
I have bestbuyca as my affiliate on my Forma and it does not download this 4.11.11982 FW when I sync. (currently have FW 4.11.11980). So though it does appear to be available to the device it isn't downloading it as David suggested when already running 4.11.11980. I will likely do a manual update at some point but as no one has posted what the changes are I think I will hold off for a bit. I am happy with 4.11.11980 particularly with some of your great new patches, like invert screen and eliminating the swipe to wake it up.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
And none of that disagrees with what I said. But, you are testing using 0.0 as the current firmware version. There is an update relative to version 0.0. But, relative to version 4.11.11980, the only affiliate updated is "rakutenbooks". So, any Forma already on 4.11.11980 won't be offered an update. Anyone setting up a Forma for the first time today, or who hadn't updated to 4.11.11980, will get 4.11.11982.

As I said, it is probably some small tweak for the Japanese market. Something not considered an issue for others so not worthwhile updating any devices already on 4.11.11980. That firmware is less than a week old, and it would be annoying to have such a quick update if there is nothing for you. Maybe the plan is to let it go to the pre-4.11.11980 devices first, and then update the rest later. Or maybe they will just leave it until a release for the other devices is made.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote