Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
USA_Yakuza
USA_Yakuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE Comic Edition
Kobo Aura 1 Comic Edition

Hey guys, I'm new entirely to eReaders and got the expensive one.

I just bought it on Rakuten and don't really know what I'm doing with it.

I mean, I love it. Got caliber and organized my books,

There's just one feature I'm missing from moonreader on my phone, and that's a night mode. I find the orange too bright for reading in the dark at night, which is the only time I have to read.

Any ideas or am I out of luck?
USA_Yakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, ask a mod to move the thread. The Kobo Tablet area is for the Android based LCD-screened devices that Kobo had for a few years. The main area of the Kobo forum is for the e-ink devices.

For your problem, the first thing I would do is turn the brightness down. It is easily adjustable for most conditions. I had no problem reading in the dark with my Aura ONE.

But, if what you want is a reverse video mode, then do a search in the forum. There are two methods that should work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
USA_Yakuza
USA_Yakuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE Comic Edition
Oh, oops. I didn't realize. I thought I was placing it in the Reader section.

I got kind of confused was the problem though. I did search for some of those solutions, but I don't know exactly which model is the one I bought.

Is it identical to the regular Aura one?
USA_Yakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The only difference is the extra internal storage
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Yakuza View Post
I find the orange too bright for reading in the dark at night, which is the only time I have to read.

Any ideas or am I out of luck?
just try turning the brightness down. You don't want the light at full blare in a darkened room. Paradoxically, the dimmer the room, the dimmer the light should be.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Paradoxically, the dimmer the room, the dimmer the light should be.
Not really a paradox. Eye strain depends on a couple of factors.

1. The screen's actual contrast under the lighting conditions. Higher contrast leads to less strain.
2. The proportion of light coming off the screen, compared to the ambient environment. Here, the screen being much brighter than ambient conditions is worse for the eye.

That's why the inverted "night mode" is better in a dark environment. Setting the brightness just low enough so that the resulting contrast is just high enough to comfortably read, will generally lead to the lowest fatigue.

Edit: Just to add a bit more context. Lower contrast levels make the eye work that much harder focusing and scanning the information for our brains to interpret. Lighting condition differences between screen and ambient environment make the pupils (involuntarily) dilate or contract more often as the eyes reach the screen borders/middle. Both cases lead to more fatigue.

Last edited by gimble; 05-10-2018 at 04:20 PM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
Not really a paradox. Eye strain depends on a couple of factors.

1. The screen's actual contrast under the lighting conditions. Higher contrast leads to less strain.
2. The proportion of light coming off the screen, compared to the ambient environment. Here, the screen being much brighter than ambient conditions is worse for the eye.

That's why the inverted "night mode" is better in a dark environment. Setting the brightness just low enough so that the resulting contrast is just high enough to comfortably read, will generally lead to the lowest fatigue.

Edit: Just to add a bit more context. Lower contrast levels make the eye work that much harder focusing and scanning the information for our brains to interpret. Lighting condition differences between screen and ambient environment make the pupils (involuntarily) dilate or contract more often as the eyes reach the screen borders/middle. Both cases lead to more fatigue.
Yes, yes. I understand the concept. But many users seem to figure the darker the room, the brighter they crank the illumination.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, yes. I understand the concept. But many users seem to figure the darker the room, the brighter they crank the illumination.
Sorry, I was just responding to the reference to this concept as a "paradox". It wasn't specifically directed to you - apologies if that came across the wrong way.

Last edited by gimble; 05-11-2018 at 04:37 PM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura one, night mode