Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I got rid of most of my books when I got my Kindle but a few weeks ago I picked up a paperback. My first thought when I opened it was that I needed to enlarge the font a bit. I'm old with bad eyes. Ooops. Can't enlarge the font.

I got my last Kindle in two days--from Delaware to oaxaca, Mexico--and I'd get another one.

An acquaintance looked at my Kindle and said, "I can't afford one."
"If you skipped drinking for three days you'd have it paid for."
He looked at his drink and said, "You're probably right." Then he changed the subject and, of course, doesn't have a Kindle.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
my ereader made me appreciate pbooks more. is that strange? o_o
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When I was little I read paper backs by the thousands per day (ok... maybe not quite that much...) but after I got married we had to move so much (average of once per year) that I gave up my collection of books to libraries, Goodwill, and etc. Since then, other then blogs and the like, really fell out of the practice of reading... till I got my e-readers. Now I read again and loving it as much as before but with out limitations of paper books. Should loose my Nook Color (and my phone, and my tablet, and all e-readers) I would stop reading because... I no longer buy/store pbooks so I would be forced to stop due to lack of inventory! However that would not last, I would replace one of the e-readers fairly quickly.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
I still read both pbooks, though my actual pbook purchases have started to slip a bit, prolly around 10-15%.

I read on K3 and my Tab. Depends on my mood and where I will be. Day-to-day, its the K3. Bed, mostly K3, sometimes Tab.

But in case of disaster, its:

K3
Tab
Blackberry Bold 9700
Blackberry Curve

I never ever read on computer and prolly never will. Not sure why this is the case.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesius View Post
So glad to see the replies. I was really curious to see the different ways this would impact people.

I'm sorry if some misunderstood me. My bad. I do like reading actual books. In fact, I prefer it. It isn't that I find it difficult to read hard copies, per se. My problem seems to be simply getting started. I don't want to carry around all the books I had before. And also because I do have a backup with the iPod Touch. I was always going back to that -- giving it another chance -- only to again be reminded how it simply wasn't enjoyably to read from. So, I switch to watching a film on it, only to get tired of viewing the tiny screen.

For those just joining the discussion, I am not looking for a solution (particularly when the solution is clearly written on the bottom of my tennis shoes, "Just do It"). I just wanted to hear how others felt when their machines were no longer available. And having just gotten out of the hospital, I have a lot more time on my hands this week for something like this. Thanks everyone!
I love books and reading, which is why I love ereaders too, because it enables me to do more of the reading I so love. I have over time (I started ereading 7 years ago, and bought my first ereader 2 years ago) made sure that I would always have an electronic portable way to keep reading. Which ended up being quite ridiculous, with devices left in different places "just in case". I am thinking of getting counselling though .

Wish you a prompt recovery first, and soon the money to buy a new ereader.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I haven't picked up a paperback in the more than year and half that I have had my reader.

Before that, I pretty much stopped reading pb because the font was too small & I could adjust the font on my pc.

When I moved almost 3 years ago, most of my books went into the trash (don't have a car to take them somewhere). I get my best loved/read books, just to have them, and I keep checking and whenever I find one in ebook form I get it.

I love my ereader, because it got me back to reading again!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
If my reader broke, and I couldn't afford a new one, I'd read paper books until I could. I don't read as "something to do", it's what I love to do, so I couldn't substitute TV or the Wii, or even magazines.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #23
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I read both so I wouldn't stop reading. Only problem is I find at times I'm swiping a pbook page or tapping on a word to look it up in the dictionary. So I probably would try & replace my e-reader as fast as possible.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #24
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
One of the good things about being a gadget hound is that if one of my ereaders dies, I have several others to pick up the slack.But, I wouldn't stop reading, even if I didn't have backups. I love reading too much.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My Android tablet died, and I just shifted to reading on my iPhone and from my physical book collection.

I was pleased when my tablet came back fixed, but I read constantly, so it wouldn't matter if I lost all the electronic ones. I would just read the physical ones.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Nope, wouldn't stop me for a minute.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
am pretty lucky that i live less than a mile from a huge, three-days-a-week flea market w/numerous dealers and often scores of sellers offering books for two bits or a dollar - have found some nice tomes - such as a hard-cased Chapman's Piloting and vintage backpacking/outdoor/survival books (many out of print)

i have a backup (Nokia N800), but would just go out and get a replacement Nook Touch
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover
whitedirewolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I guess it's in situations like those you mention that I'm actually glad that I've all my books in eBook format. If I don't have the e-reader with me, I can just use my Android phone or tablet as a replacement. Even a regular laptop would do fine for a short period of time.

But of course, if I'm at an airport without my e-reader, and I see this hardback or paperback in a store and I find it interesting, I guess it's likely I would've yield to the temptation in the end
whitedirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #29
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Nah................

Just have to read.

If I don't have a reader/book through forgetfulness. or wotever, I always keep at least a couple of audiobooks on my Clip+.

But books are better............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
laitsabr
Daily Learner
laitsabr doesn't litterlaitsabr doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, 350, 300, 600(sold), 505(dead), Coby 7024
Reading is too enjoyable an activity, whatever the medium, for me to stop due to device malfunction.
I am privileged to afford backup devices, but going back to pbooks would not be too difficult a transition, so long as it is a temporary situation and the books I want to read are conveniently available.
laitsabr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, question, reading, trivial